Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's shown it somewhat in the past... but after last night, this year, and ever since he got closer to the top of the list in general, I am totally convinced that Ovechkin really does have a switch.

Its funny how the haters will and are saying that the goals is all that Ov cares about AND that getting Ov the goals is all that the Caps care about. I find that hilarious.

I note that Ov has 3 hat tricks in the last 6 games. The Caps did win all 3 of those games. They have lost 2 of those 6. Ov only has 1 goal total in the 2 L's.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Pens fans and Ovi haters are losing their minds because in the last few years Crosby is in the Ovi's shadow in the media and on ice performances.

In those last few year the main topic of discussion when it comes to Crosby it's his injuries
and
When the world talk about Ovi, it's will he break the unbreakable record and how great he is

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Its funny how the haters will and are saying that the goals is all that Ov cares about AND that getting Ov the goals is all that the Caps care about. I find that hilarious.

I note that Ov has 3 hat tricks in the last 6 games. The Caps did win all 3 of those games. They have lost 2 of those 6. Ov only has 1 goal total in the 2 L's.

I don't understand them. The object is to score goals more than the other team to win the game. Not to collect a fat CF%. I mean all these other stats is to help you decipher a way to score or prevent even more goals.

And I guess I'm not an old timer, but I don't understand how hockey counts an assist as the same value as a goal let alone secondary assists. No other sport in the world does that. Ever.

Either they keep the stats separate like in basketball, or a goal is worth twice an assist like they do sometimes in soccer. It's never anything else.

You can't have an assist without a goal. An assist is the buildup to a goal.

Sometimes I really think hockey is a backwards sport.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't understand them. The object is to score goals more than the other team to win the game. Not to collect a fat CF%. I mean all these other stats is to help you decipher a way to score or prevent even more goals.

And I guess I'm not an old timer, but I don't understand how hockey counts an assist as the same value as a goal let alone secondary assists. No other sport in the world does that. Ever.

Either they keep the stats separate like in basketball, or a goal is worth twice an assist like they do sometimes in soccer. It's never anything else.

You can't have an assist without a goal. An assist is the buildup to a goal.

Sometimes I really think hockey is a backwards sport.

A couple of things. Ov haters are just hating on Ov. They look for any argument that holds some water.

Goals and assists have to be worth the same. They have to be perceived as of the same value. On Ov's second goal last night Carlson made a brilliant rink wide stretch pass to Ov. Quick made the save. Had another Cap scored that rebound that brilliant stretch pass is a secondary assist. That's why it has to keep equal value.

I think people need to give Ov more credit than they do for his goals because they are so much harder to get. There are 2 assists on almost every goal. Last season there were 2 50 goal scorers. There were 32 players with 50 assists.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
A couple of things. Ov haters are just hating on Ov. They look for any argument that holds some water.

Goals and assists have to be worth the same. They have to be perceived as of the same value. On Ov's second goal last night Carlson made a brilliant rink wide stretch pass to Ov. Quick made the save. Had another Cap scored that rebound that brilliant stretch pass is a secondary assist. That's why it has to keep equal value.

I think people need to give Ov more credit than they do for his goals because they are so much harder to get. There are 2 assists on almost every goal. Last season there were 2 50 goal scorers. There were 32 players with 50 assists.

I understand that. But why even combine them in the first place?

Basketball stats go 20 pts 6 assists 10 rebounds 3 blocks. You dont add them all together. And you dont begrudge Michael Jordan because he doesn't have Magic Johnson's assist totals because of it. Its just... different. Different stats.

Soccer you go 3 goals 1 assist. You dont combine them. If you do, goals are worth 2 points and assists are worth 1 ( like MLS tried to do a point system once but abandoned it ). No other soccer league has even thought of combining.

Like.. why even do it?

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I see your point. Forgot about basketball. A hockey triple double...ish would be goals, assists and...hits?

A Gordie Howe hatty is a goal, an assist, and a fight. I like that.

Also, I love the "Ovechkin is a one trick pony and all he's good for is scoring goals" crowd. That's like saying, "Tom Brady is a one trick pony and all he's good for is throwing a football." Ovechkin is a winger, a sniper, a power forward... his job is to wreck havoc and score goals and he's the best ever at that job. People say he's only good at his biggest workplace responsibility like it's a bad thing? Would I say my analyst is amazing at forecasting our P&L but he can't do my marketing plan too so he's only good at being a financial analyst? It's just odd to me. Good teams or organizations whether it's hockey or investment banking or e-sports or whatever are constructed by bringing in people with different talents to compliment each other. Ovechkin's job is to score, Rierden's job is to put him in position to score, BMac's job is to compliment the goal scorer with people who help him score and who provide value in other areas. It's such a dumb argument it hurts my head.

The reasons other players are more "well rounded" or "do things other than scoring goals" could be many. Maybe they play different positions that have different responsibilities. Maybe they're not great at any one thing so they have to be useful at a lot of things in order to provide adequate value. Maybe they're not the best ever to play the game of hockey at doing a particular thing so the coaching staff and organization ask them not to focus on one specific aspect of their game. I just love watching the haters twist themselves into a mental pretzel trying to say that a guy who may catch Gretzky isn't a valuable 5-on-5 player or whatever dumb bullshit goalpost they set by saying he's so good at doing the most difficult thing in hockey to do but that's all he's good at so he's not elite or not a real hockey player or whatever other hilarious oddity they try to rationalize. K, whatever helps you sleep at night, bud.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One day our grandchildren, watching a hitless and violence free NHL game, will be rooting for an Ovechkin Hat Trick.

PPG, ESG, and ENG.

We know fighting will be long gone and thus the Gordie Howe Hatty will need to be replaced.

I will be in the barn Monday night.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
One day our grandchildren, watching a hitless and violence free NHL game, will be rooting for an Ovechkin Hat Trick.

PPG, ESG, and ENG.

We know fighting will be long gone and thus the Gordie Howe Hatty will need to be replaced.

I will be in the barn Monday night.

THe Ovechkin Hat Trick might actually become this: ESG, PPG, ENG, Short Handed Goal Against :)

Reactions: RandyHolt

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Late January one Russian reporter recorded a podcast with Kuzy, Orlov and Sammy (said Ovechkin is hardly available because everyone wants to talk with him).

So he asked them two things (among others):

Will anyone in the current NHL score 700? They said no chance.

Then he asked when Ovi is getting his 700th, whats the prediction? At that moment he had 892.

Kuzy said Feb 23, Orlov 16th and Sammy smth between that. They checked the schedule before answering.

So they know his abilities and still couldnt predict that he can leap forward that quick.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
A Gordie Howe hatty is a goal, an assist, and a fight. I like that.

Also, I love the "Ovechkin is a one trick pony and all he's good for is scoring goals" crowd. That's like saying, "Tom Brady is a one trick pony and all he's good for is throwing a football."

IMO it's actually worse (and dumber) than that, because it's demonstrably false. Ovie is top 3 in hits and top 10 in assists since entering the NHL. For a 240 pound player, his speed is decent as well (and used to be exceptional). That's like, 4 tricks or dimensions of hockey - whatever you want to call it.

Jun 15, 2007
Is 700 big enough of a deal to ask the NHL for a bench clearing celebration?

I know they did it for 500 but didn't for 600.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I heard Ovechkin asked them not to. I hope for 700 they come off the ice though.

Sam(antha) updated that the Caps organization just requested permission, so even better!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ex-ovechkin-has-another-milestone-his-sights/

Ovechkin said he would like to hit the milestone in front of the home fans. The Capitals have asked the NHL for permission for his teammates to join him on the ice to congratulate their captain whenever it happens.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
In a way, bench clearing celebration and a standing ovation on the road will be even more impressive. So I dont mind.

But the pace is ~ 55 at least which I never even dreamed about...

Honestly, when I was writing about beating Gretzky around 2014 I wasnt wasnt confident its possible... Now its scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad