Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As the time goes by, Alzner + Varly + 1st for Pronger sounds better and better :P

Cup back then + confidence it gives = years of better play after. Ovi would be at 750 or higher now :P

Carlson/Alzner, Varly and Johansson(taken with the first). Carlson and Alzner were both not yet in the NHL and Pronger had one more year on his deal before he would have left.

McPhee built a President's Trophy team that didn't win the cup. Not rare. MacLellan took that team and won 2 more President's Trophies without winning a cup.

So....McPhee didn't win. It wasn't a criminal failure. Being the Oil or Islanders or Panthers would have been criminal.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Carlson/Alzner, Varly and Johansson(taken with the first). Carlson and Alzner were both not yet in the NHL and Pronger had one more year on his deal before he would have left.

McPhee built a President's Trophy team that didn't win the cup. Not rare. MacLellan took that team and won 2 more President's Trophies without winning a cup.

So....McPhee didn't win. It wasn't a criminal failure. Being the Oil or Islanders or Panthers would have been criminal.
It was a criminal failure. Watch those 2009 playoff highlights. That version of Ovechkin is a once in a lifetime player. And GMGM failed to build the proper team to win a Stanley cup around him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It was a criminal failure. Watch those 2009 playoff highlights. That version of Ovechkin is a once in a lifetime player. And GMGM failed to build the proper team to win a Stanley cup around him.

the same thing will probably be said of McDavid and so on and so on.....it’s hard. GMGM was a few moves away....hardly criminal IMO, lost his objectivity.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pronger was the guy at that particular deadline. He didn't get traded til the next offseason

What about the previous off season? There were options and you can’t let your mind be limited to what actually happened. Who knows what other deals could have been had during that year for a price? I’m just saying the response doesn’t always have to be Pronger and his cost. We agree that McPhee was not criminally negligent. Stevie Y wasted some superhuman seasons.

For me the buck stops at Ted, if you’re looking to blame someone for wasting Ovy’s best years......

He let it carry on too long.

Reactions: Fallschirmyager

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Question: WTF does any of this Pronger stuff have to do with the Great Eight taking the lead for the Rocket and being one game away from 700?

Answer: Zippo.

stay-on-target-gif-5.gif

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
So, let’s see. A natural hat trick to beat the Kings 4-2. His 27th career regular season hat trick which puts him ahead of Rocket Richard for 8th all time.

An 11th 40 goal season, second only to Gretzky’s 12. Ovie was also robbed of one in the strike shortened season.

14 goals in 7 games and Ovie now has a two goal lead in the Rocket Richard race.

Oh and, ho hum, his 110th GWG which is tied for 4th all time.

Up to 698 career goals. On pace for 61 goals at age 34. Absolutely amazing. :)

EDIT: Oh and with 1268 career points, he passes Jean Ratelle for 37th all time in points scored.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

My issue with McPhee is he didn't even try. He was such a smug asshole with the "we like our team" and "if they knew anything about the game they'd be in it" and his arrogance prevented him from finishing the puzzle. Never made a bold move to fill the 2C role. Hired rookie coaches at every opportunity. Never made a bold move to improve the defense. Panicked after Montreal and kept trying to change the identity of the team. And the one bold move he did make was obvious to everyone that it was horrid and he only did it to try and save his job.

I don't want to hear excuses. BMac did more in one offseason to shore up the blueline than McPhee did in two decades. McPhee missed out of Chara because he wanted to save a few dollars so he signed Brian Pothier instead.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Ovie has 40 goals in 53 games this season.

He reached 40 goals in 58 games last season.
He reached 40 goals in 54 games in 13-14 season.
This is his fastest to 40 goals since the 09-10 season when he had a hat trick and got to 42 goals in his 51st game of the season.

Pretty amazing stuff, to be able to score at close to the same pace 10 years later

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My issue with McPhee is he didn't even try. He was such a smug ******* with the "we like our team" and "if they knew anything about the game they'd be in it" and his arrogance prevented him from finishing the puzzle. Never made a bold move to fill the 2C role. Hired rookie coaches at every opportunity. Never made a bold move to improve the defense. Panicked after Montreal and kept trying to change the identity of the team. And the one bold move he did make was obvious to everyone that it was horrid and he only did it to try and save his job.

I don't want to hear excuses. BMac did more in one offseason to shore up the blueline than McPhee did in two decades. McPhee missed out of Chara because he wanted to save a few dollars so he signed Brian Pothier instead.

We can go on and on over this. I get the "we like our team". They had a good team. Its also a thing he says. He has said it in Vegas. As someone that worked in an entertainment business where lay people/fans convinced themselves that they knew better than I did, I get the "if they were in the game comment". I wouldn't have said it, but I get it.

The rookie coaches was Leonsis all the way.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Pretty amazing stuff, to be able to score at close to the same pace 10 years later

He is a freak of nature. Anyone that thinks they can project the arc of his production going forward doesnt know what they are talking about. Watching him now, I see no reason why he wouldnt score 50 next season.

He has been better this last 3 seasons than any season going back to his 109pt season in 09-10.
If he scores 60, there will have been 12 seasons in between.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
He's shown it somewhat in the past... but after last night, this year, and ever since he got closer to the top of the list in general, I am totally convinced that Ovechkin really does have a switch.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We can go on and on over this. I get the "we like our team". They had a good team. Its also a thing he says. He has said it in Vegas. As someone that worked in an entertainment business where lay people/fans convinced themselves that they knew better than I did, I get the "if they were in the game comment". I wouldn't have said it, but I get it.

The rookie coaches was Leonsis all the way.

Don't want to clutter the Ovi thread with George talk so I'll take my response elsewhere.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He has been better this last 3 seasons than any season going back to his 109pt season in 09-10.
If he scores 60, there will have been 12 seasons in between.

You think so? I think 2013 was probably better but that was only a 48 game season.

2015 was also quite excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad