Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I was looking at other Washington Capital LWs in a trip down memory lane.

Ovechkin has:

650 goals Next best: Bengt-Ake Gustafsson (great player in his day) 195
1192 points Next best: Bengt-Ake Gustafsson 554
5134 shots Next best: Kelly Miller 1330
243 PPGs Next best: Bengt-Ake Gustafsson 49
105 GWG Next best: Bengt-Ake Gustafsson 33

Utter dominance. Lol.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Found it interesting how quickly this topic was locked 4-5 years ago. Since then Ovechkin has scored 226 goals. If he scores another 226 from now until he retires, that brings him to 879 career goals:

Will Ovechkin catch Gretzky in career goals?

This discussion arised lately, last 1-2 years, and I mean from the media. Canadian media!

That is already a sign of something unthinkable.

I believe SC win and the birth of his son made him a threat to Gretzky's record more than anything.

Ovi can just enjoy the ride. Nobody even try to hit him lately, very rarely, so he can conserve some energy and score for several more years at a high pace. Every 50G season makes the probability of unthinkable higher and he has to ask himself if he's going for that, one day.

He just needs to finish this season strong and play at around that pace next year. That will propel him at the point of around ~2 seasons till catching Howe. Then he will realize 1) his friends Backstrom and Kuzy are still there :P 2) he has still something in the tank.

3) he goes for Howe with 35-40G pace... and THERE suddenly he's very close

So basically he should just try to win a cup this and next season (easily doable, I mean mentally TRYING).

And then all bets are off.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A lot of these writers grudgingly had to give him his due but make no mistake, deep down they still hate him.

Oh, no question that they hate him. They just cant deny him now. It gets worse with every passing year. If Ov doesn't have show any decline next season, Katie bar the door.

Remember this was supposed to be the year Laine left him in the dust. Whatever happened to that guy?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I welcome their hate. Embrace it. And FWIW, I doubt it was just the Canadian media that wrote him off after a few mediocre seasons.

Hell, some of our own posters here were doing it.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I welcome their hate. Embrace it. And FWIW, I doubt it was just the Canadian media that wrote him off after a few mediocre seasons.

Hell, some of our own posters here were doing it.

I personally wrote off his playoff leadership but he sure proved me wrong, and I'm ecstatic about that.

cut.jpg

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
A lot of these writers grudgingly had to give him his due but make no mistake, deep down they still hate him.
I think it's an older demographic thing, most people under 60 are fans, I follow 2 Pittsburgh based hockey writers and this is the pinned tweet for 1

I assume this % has gone up, too

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think it's an older demographic thing, most people under 60 are fans, I follow 2 Pittsburgh based hockey writers and this is the pinned tweet for 1

I assume this % has gone up, too

Holy crap this is awesome. Wish I'd known this in 2016, I'd have spared some crapping on Ovi in 2017 :(

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holy crap this is awesome. Wish I'd known this in 2016, I'd have spared some crapping on Ovi in 2017 :(

Perception is reality. If you watched the continued growth in Ovechkin's overall game(including leadership) under Trotz and see another step forward this season, you have to consider how this will effect his game as he ages. My view is that he will continue to grow and adapt. His stature and leadership will continue to grow.

The idea that he is selfish sits next to the idea that he is going to quit and go to the KHL and coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad