Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Lemieux is the only other to win the 5 and lead the league in goals in a season, so would have won the Rocket.

Orr and Ovechkin are also the only two players to win four major trophies in the same season, Orr swapping the Norris for OV’s Rocket.
Gretzky won the Hart, Pearson, Art Ross, and Conn Smythe one year and led the league in goals.

It’s like every crazy Ovy stat its him, Gretzky, Lemieux, and one other guy. Only guys faster to 600: 99, 66, Brett Hull. Only guys with 3 Hart’s and a Conn Smythe: 99, 66, Bobby Orr

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So Gretzky, Lemiuex, Orr and Ovechkin.

giphy.gif

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Gretzky won the Hart, Pearson, Art Ross, and Conn Smythe one year and led the league in goals.

It’s like every crazy Ovy stat its him, Gretzky, Lemieux, and one other guy. Only guys faster to 600: 99, 66, Brett Hull. Only guys with 3 Hart’s and a Conn Smythe: 99, 66, Bobby Orr

Yes very true.

Gretzky didn't win the Calder, but he did win the Lou Kaplan for WHA rookie of the year and wasn't eligible for the Calder his first year in the NHL (his 2nd pro season) though he did win the Hart that year.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Cal is so overrated, he's only beloved for his selfish streak that surely hurt the team. He was a above average SS.
Ovie is an all time great miles ahead of his peers at LW

It's not close

Reactions: errantcaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Cal is so overrated, he's only beloved for his selfish streak that surely hurt the team. He was a above average SS.

It's not close

Above average? I would probably vote Ov too. I think its interesting that the two greatest athletes in the area both wore 8. But overrated and above average is pretty funny.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Above average? I would probably vote Ov too. I think its interesting that the two greatest athletes in the area both wore 8. But overrated and above average is pretty funny.
nfl_raylewis_09.jpg

I've got Ovechkin like 7-14 all time, Ripken like 60-85 all time, Ray Lewis 8-18 all time.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

It's not close
He was an elite offensive SS and a surefire Hall of Famer even without the streak.

That being said, he's still not nearly as great as Ovechkin.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Cal hit over 30 HR once his average is .278 and OPS .788
7 seasons he was outright bad hitting 250
He's nothing special but played everyday for 20 years

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Ok...I have to admit to have forgotten about football. Johnny Unitas however would be greater than 52, but your point is taken.
For the Caps’ Young Guns 3 of them wore the numbers of the top 3 athletes in Baltimore history and Semin the number of a top 2 all time Skin.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think this is a pretty absurd distinction to draw. Being good is about how much you help your team win. Cal did more to help his team win than the other shortstops of his era, therefor he was both valuable AND good. He led both leagues in Wins Above Replacement three times in his career (1983, 1984, 1991) and had multiple other Top 10 finishes. He was an 8 time Silver Slugger. He was a two time AL MVP. He was good.
We should really get back on topic. Isnt this thread supposed to be about Ovechkin?

Reactions: PRicci09

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I think this is a pretty absurd distinction to draw. Being good is about how much you help your team win.
I don't know. It seems like a fine line between this and basically giving someone credit for their circumstances. Anyway, I'm not saying he wasn't good, but just commenting on the process of determining how good he was.

Edit: OK...here.
maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->