Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's getting a little frustrating that he's looking to pass now instead of shooting. Especially on the power play
Sometimes I feel he takes very low percentage shots. He will shoot without looking to see if there is another option. The shots he takes that kill us are the ones from a sharp angle. When he misses the net so often the puck clears the zone. He has been passing a bit more lately. Sometimes when he is in a good spot to shoot from. The last game he had 3 secondary assists. A lot of times he would shoot those instead of making the pass. I liked his decision to pass in those situations rather than shoot.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
imo, it's mostly Carlson's fault. His feeds are either too slow and dmen cover Ovi, or simply not accurate for making a one-timer.
I wouldn't blame it all on Carlson. They have had trouble getting that one timer. Some of it has to do with not getting the puck to Carlson quick enough. Carlson has put the puck in Ovi skates quite a but lately. I also think teams are cheating on the play. The pk needs a tweak. I really liked the play Backstrom made from behind the net on Carlson's goal.

Reactions: Chukcha

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I wouldn't blame it all on Carlson. They have had trouble getting that one timer. Some of it has to do with not getting the puck to Carlson quick enough. Carlson has put the puck in Ovi skates quite a but lately. I also think teams are cheating on the play. The pk needs a tweak. I really liked the play Backstrom made from behind the net on Carlson's goal.

hmm, you know you're right. The PP unit looks very static when established in the O-zone. Opposing dmen easily keep the position, and Carlson very often has no room and time to make a quality feed. Though Green did it better in the same environment.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Shattenkirk gave Ovechkin as many clean passes in the 35 games he played for us as Carlson did in a full season. His passes were not only accurate but creative too. He is really good on the PP, no doubt about that.
Shattenkirk didnt play 35 games for us. If he was that good on that pass to Ovi then why did he only have 6 assists on the pp for us last season.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
hmm, you know you're right. The PP unit looks very static when established in the O-zone. Opposing dmen easily keep the position, and Carlson very often has no room and time to make a quality feed. Though Green did it better in the same environment.
What made Green successful on the pp was his mobility. He was good at walking the line.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Shattenkirk didnt play 35 games for us. If he was that good on that pass to Ovi then why did he only have 6 assists on the pp for us last season.

Shattenkirk played 19 regular season games and 13 playoff games for the Capitals, for a total of 32 games.

"Only" 6 PPA assists in 19 regular season games is a lot. That's 0.315 PPA/GP. For reference, Sidney Crosby is averaging 0.30 PPA/GP so far this season. Kuznetsov and Carlson are at 0.275 PPA/GP. Backstrom is at 0.256 PPA/GP.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Shattenkirk played 19 regular season games and 13 playoff games for the Capitals, for a total of 32 games.

"Only" 6 PPA assists in 19 regular season games is a lot. That's 0.315 PPA/GP. For reference, Sidney Crosby is averaging 0.30 PPA/GP so far this season. Kuznetsov and Carlson are at 0.275 PPA/GP. Backstrom is at 0.256 PPA/GP.
I know how many games he played. And it was less than 35. I also know what his stats were. I'm saying 19 games isn't enough games to really determine how good he is on the pp.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Whoever it was that suggested he shoot less....malarkey!

He needs to be a little less predictable. Sometimes he should shoot and sometimes pass.

In this incidence, he faked a slap shot and then zipped it by Ward. Definitely worked on a pretty good Dman in Slavin as he got fooled. Unpredictable Ovie is a dangerous Ovie. :)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A passing Ovy is a less dangerous Ovy. Sure, be less predictable....I’d love that, but I want him putting pucks on net.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
A passing Ovy is a less dangerous Ovy. Sure, be less predictable....I’d love that, but I want him putting pucks on net.
For sure Ovi is a shooter but there are times that he takes very low percentage shots.
I remember when I was coaching basketball. I had one kid that was a very skilled player but tried to do everything himself and wouldn't pass. He was worried about his points. He shot from everywhere, sometimes with a couple guys all over him. Sure he scored a lot but the rest of the team scoring was down. It took awhile but I convinced him to try to utilize his teammates more. He started passing more and making wiser decisions. His assists went up. His shooting percentage went up and his scoring wasn't effected at all.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Fortunately we didn't trade him in the offseason :sarcasm:
Should have trade them all.
One is over the hill, one is sell high and the goatlender is crapping the bed every playoffs.
How come they are still there is not comprehendible.

We could have had major cap space.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
One is over the hill, one is sell high and the goatlender is crapping the bed every playoffs.

Braden Holtby is #1 all time in save percentage in the playoffs but ok

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

No sarcasm here at all. You are aware that the NHL, and it's teams, are a part of a business right? And the only way most of these teams make money is from gate receipts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->