Prospect Info: Alexander Holtz (Part II)

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Has anyone called him a bust? If so, I haven’t seen it. You’re allowed to admit that a player’s production is somewhat concerning without labeling him a bust.

yes, and all of these posts are in response to that

I have this sinking feeling that Holtz is going to be a bust. I know its early, but players picked after him are doing much better in the AHL so far.

Pick 13 Seth Jarvis 9-7-4-11 +8
Pick 10 Cole Perfetti 32-9-17-26 +1
Pick 8 Jack Quinn 15-2-7-9 -14
Pick 7 Alexander Holtz 9-1-2-3 -4

Anton Lundell also looks like a stud based on his WJC performance and his season in Finland.

Reactions: Darkauron

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be fair, he said he has a feeling he is going to be a bust, which isn't the same as saying he actually is a bust. Although then following that up with small sample sizes of AHL stats without context doesn't really help his case.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
To be fair, he said he has a feeling he is going to be a bust, which isn't the same as saying he actually is a bust. Although then following that up with small sample sizes of AHL stats without context doesn't really help his case.
I mean it kinda had the same intent. Regardless you can't question the kid just yet, people don't like that.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I disagree because you can’t call him a bust, it literally wouldn’t make sense since he hasn’t done anything yet.

I guess the poster didn’t say Holtz’s “definitely going to bust”. In the end I don’t care so much about how they personally perceive his future potential though.

I did have a problem with them using his raw point totals from a very limited number AHL games, comparing them to a few other players’ raw point totals from a limited number of AHL games, and acting like we can infer future bust status from that. (And, no, throwing in his 5 games at U20 doesn’t add anything really either.)

If someone wants to fling around the bust word on so very little information this early in the development process they should go to main board.

And in terms of general “disappointment”, I consider that whining and I don’t care much for that either. (That’s me and I usually keep that to myself.) It should be understood that everyone would have preferred more scoring.

If someone has specific observations, with more concrete information, about Holtz’s season that’s different. Raw point totals aren’t exactly always amazingly informative about the performances of NHL players so I don’t know why some people have so much faith in the scraps of AHL stats they have. It’s frustrating we don’t have easy access to more stats from AHL games but that’s why I seek out more details about their play.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree because you can’t call him a bust, it literally wouldn’t make sense since he hasn’t done anything yet.

I guess the poster didn’t say Holtz’s “definitely going to bust”. In the end I don’t care so much about how they personally perceive his future potential though.

I did have a problem with them using his raw point totals from a very limited number AHL games, comparing them to a few other players’ raw point totals from a limited number of AHL games, and acting like we can infer future bust status from that. (And, no, throwing in his 5 games at U20 doesn’t add anything really either.)

If someone wants to fling around the bust word on so very little information this early in the development process they should go to main board.

And in terms of general “disappointment”, I consider that whining and I don’t care much for that either. (That’s me and I usually keep that to myself.) It should be understood that everyone would have preferred more scoring.

If someone has specific observations, with more concrete information, about Holtz’s season that’s different. Raw point totals aren’t exactly always amazingly informative about the performances of NHL players so I don’t know why some people have so much faith in the scraps of AHL stats they have. It’s frustrating we don’t have easy access to more stats from AHL games but that’s why I seek out more details about their play.

I feel it's inherently absurd to call a teenager a bust. There have been players in the draft which I rank 100 spots lower than the consensus -- but I would never ever call them a "bust" . Every kid who reaches a point where they are even considered for the NHL Draft has a chance to make the NHL.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
There are plenty of people that have given Zacha until 24 to be above a 3rd line producer while getting top line minutes in the NHL. Why are you willing to lean into Holtz but not Zacha? Have a standard, even if its a down right dumb one, but have it for every player we draft and not just one.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
As someone who didn't want Holtz (Marco Rossi, Seth Jarvis), you have to give him time. He's 19, the entire world was effed up due to a global pandemic and he still had that rocket shot of his. Remember how bad Bahl looked on Bingo but then he came up, surrounded by NHL level players, and he looked right at home? Let's give these kids a chance.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Leagues like the SHL are notorious for putting veteran players in better positions to succeed. Thats why the Devils seemingly wanted to get him over here as soon as they could.

Which they have every right too. SHL doesn't see itself as a development league.

Calling Holtz a potential bust (potential, going to, whatever) is complete nonsense. Utter nonsense. You can have legitimate concerns over production, but to even think along those lines while the guy can't legally drink over there is bollocks. Like bed wetting territory.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I will add though that I saw quite a few of his games this season. He looked straight up bad in a few of them, much better in others.

He's a kid in a tough league. As long as his overall game is developing then he will be fine.

Reactions: Goomba

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
not saying the kid is going to bust or isn't going to bust i haven't even followed him so to click this link and see this talk is really interesting lol. but i will say its really really really really difficult to live up to that draft position which to me imo is top line winger territory. that being said this is why i am one of the few people on this board that would always be willing to trade the potential and the unknown for a known proven nhl talent. that doesn't mean i would trade holtz or the pick he was at for some 3rd liner or 3rd pair d man. the talent would have to be equal to the potential imo.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There are plenty of people that have given Zacha until 24 to be above a 3rd line producer while getting top line minutes in the NHL. Why are you willing to lean into Holtz but not Zacha? Have a standard, even if its a down right dumb one, but have it for every player we draft and not just one.

if we have to wait 6 years for this kid to hit his potential (zacha still way below what he should be) then thats big trouble for this devils timeline with jack nico smith blackwood

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
He has the attributes. Question is does he have the smarts and fire to work his ass off in the right way until he is the impact player he has the potential to be.

I hope he is surrounded by the right people.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
Which they have every right too. SHL doesn't see itself as a development league.

Calling Holtz a potential bust (potential, going to, whatever) is complete nonsense. Utter nonsense. You can have legitimate concerns over production, but to even think along those lines while the guy can't legally drink over there is bollocks. Like bed wetting territory.

Just a quick correction, in Sweden you can drink from 18 at bars etc, but you can't buy alcohol at "Systembolaget" until 20.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Just a quick correction, in Sweden you can drink from 18 at bars etc, but you can't buy alcohol at "Systembolaget" until 20.

Over in finland the archaic beer restrictions are slightly better than sweden. They raised the highest abv % sold in stores to 5.5 but if you want higher you gotta go to the stupid govt run alko for it. Hockey sticks, puck bunnies, david emma, hockey stats related discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad