Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Not like we are a way better team with edler, trade him or let him go. I don’t think he’s as difficult to replace as most here think.
It’s all downhill from here for edler, as much as I appreciate what he does his time here is up.

Fully agree. Team has been crap with him, life will go on without him more than people think. Far worse would be too much term for an aging, injury prone player.

Reactions: LordBacon

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If it’s 3yrs please, please, please have a) lesser cap hit in the 3rd year and b) limited no trade clause (has to provide a list of teams) or just no NTC all together.... really want this to be a 2yr extension only!!!!

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I seem to be one of the only people who's alright with bringing him back but for the love of god we have to make sure we have some flexibility by the end of Pettersson's ELC.

Make it 2 years.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
4 years at 5 mil is my guess. I dont see him only going for 2 or 3 at this point in his career. A contract to take him to 36, then maybe a single year tacked on down the road or something. Anything under 5 million would be great, but I just don't trust Benning for that. If he wont waive for a trade, hoping he at least takes a little less.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
2-year extension. I'll be happy at that.

21% of games missed since the lockout.

the last 5 years including this one 87/389. 22%. a full season cumulatively missed and still counting for this season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Botchford was speculating 3 years with a full NMC (meaning he has to be protected for expansion which means a younger guy will be exposed).

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The acceptance of mediocrity with the Canucks organization is frustrating. I can understand not trading Edler on the basis of the 2019 UFA d corp is extremely weak on the left side, you can re-sign him for cheap on a short-term deal and the TDL offers are shit.

However, this team will never go anywhere with Edler playing Top 2 minutes, there is always the trade market to acquire a left side d until Hughes (hopefully) eventually becomes a Top 2 d, Benning will likely re-sign Edler for "market" value on a long-term deal and the TDL offers for a 32/33 dman in a market where contenders are looking for LDH help is likely of good value.

At somepoint the fact this roster is built primarily on shit players on shit contracts will actually bite this team in the ass when EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes and potentially Gaudette are all in their mid 20's with crap around them.

The actual construction of this team at the NHL level is horrendous and I don't expect it to ever get better while the current management group continues to be in place.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Botchford was speculating 3 years with a full NMC (meaning he has to be protected for expansion which means a younger guy will be exposed).

That'll be north of $7M AAV I'd wager. If it's short Edler's camp is going to want to pack as much salary in as possible since he'll be a broken shell of a player when the contract is up.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well with the revelation from Botchford that Edler would have accepted a trade if the Canucks told him they didn’t want him anymore, I think it’s safe to say Benning has blundered yet another thing. Let’s just see how bad this contract is going to be before determining just how bad a mistake this is.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Well with the revelation from Botchford that Edler would have accepted a trade if the Canucks told him they didn’t want him anymore, I think it’s safe to say Benning has blundered yet another thing. Let’s just see how bad this contract is going to be before determining just how bad a mistake this is.

Yea I'd like to see the terms of the extension first before determining that he should have been traded. Fully expecting to be disappointed, but willing to wait and see.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Not surprising.

I agree with MS that management has made their bed and they have no choice but to extend Edler to avoid everything falling apart. It is just a culmination resulting from years of mismanagement, especially on the back-end. If they go beyond 2 years with a NMC then I don't know what to say. There will still be a handful of posters around here that will defend that contract regardless.

Reactions: MS

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Wondering how others feel about bringing back a player who's priority isn't to win a Stanley Cup but to remain in a comfortable situation that is convenient to both the player and his family?

I'd like to see a general manager who has the gusto to move a player that cares more about his living situation rather than winning the holy grail of hockey.

Benning the negotiator.... Player agents across the league must be salivating at the prospect of sitting down and agreeing to a contract with Jimbo across the table.

Easy money.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Wondering how others feel about bringing back a player who's priority isn't to win a Stanley Cup but to remain in a comfortable situation that is convenient to both the player and his family?

I'd like to see a general manager who has the gusto to move a player that cares more about his living situation rather than winning the holy grail of hockey.

Benning the negotiator.... Player agents across the league must be salivating at the prospect of sitting down and agreeing to a contract with Jimbo across the table.

Easy money.

it's a f*cking joke!

Bennings complete incompetence as a NHL GM has painted this franchise straight into a corner with this player.

I'm fully expecting a big fat retirement contract...6 mill x 5 years is my guess.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Signing him is a big mistake, no matter which way you look at it. We need to get an asset for him and move on. This may help in the next year, but does nothing to help the team's defense in the long term.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
No!!! This can’t be! He should be fired if this happens. You know what will happen... we’ll lose a really good younger player. For what? An old Edler who refuses to go away (prob on/off IR in that last year too).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They shouldn't even be negotiating with him. They should be working hard to get good offers from competitive teams and trying to get him to waive. If the deadline comes and goes and you didn't convince him then maybe you look at doing an extension. To do it now for soon to be 33 year old D-man who is likely already on the decline (there was a piece in the athletic about it a few weeks ago) just doesn't make sense to me. And I love the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad