Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Shades of Hammer getting hammered in the face by the puck.

Crap luck but an injury to one of our top pairing D shouldn't surprise anyone.

And neither should anyone be surprised by the fact that this team doesn't have any where close to the amount of depth to compensate for such a key player.

So glad they traded MDZ for a 7th.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’ve been on record saying that the Canucks should keep Edler, but I now want to see how the Nucks respond without Edler.

If the Canucks don’t freefall without Edler, and manage to play .500 or above for the rest of the season (and continue to be competitive as far as a playoff spot is concerned), then I think we should move on from Edler and take the risk of moving on from him.

1) Spend that Edler money up front.
2) Take a calculated gamble with Hughes, Hutton, and whoever as your 3rd pairing LD (Brisebois, Juolevi, etc).

I love Edler but if the guy is consistently going to be injury prone at the most inopportune times (again, not his fault), then maybe we’re better off without him.

That goes for all of our injury prone guys. Sutter, Gudbranson, Tanev, Baertschi, etc.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Shades of Hammer getting hammered in the face by the puck.

Crap luck but an injury to one of our top pairing D shouldn't surprise anyone.

And neither should anyone be surprised by the fact that this team doesn't have any where close to the amount of depth to compensate for such a key player.

So glad they traded MDZ for a 7th.

I'd rather see Brisebois or Sautner get some ice in the NHL to see what we have as well as pick up the draft pick.

Who cares about MDZ. He was a 7th defenseman walking at the end of the season. Other d-men can easily replace his minutes.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Edler is already back doing physical exercises like riding the bike.

Dont want to read into it in terms of return date but its definitely positive news that he has been given the green light to be active.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Edler is already back doing physical exercises like riding the bike.

Dont want to read into it in terms of return date but its definitely positive news that he has been given the green light to be active.
This is good to hear.
In case anyone thinks we could withstand the loss of Edler this is how its looking back there so far
lynnfire.jpg

Reactions: illusory

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
It’s thankless in that he plays defense for the Canucks.

And its not all fairly tales and happy times being an NHL player, his recent face plant on this ice and many other injures can attest to that.

This, and that he so easily becomes a whipping boy for a contingent of Canucks fans who are still angry he never became the “next Lidstrom.”

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We need Edler back next season without a doubt. Our depth on the left side is almost as bad as the right side. My dream is we sign Karlsson and re-sign Edler and send Gudbranson anywhere but here for a pick preferably. The following pairings are all mobile. Yes I know Karlsson is a dream but stranger things have happened maybe Vancouver's Swedish Touch could help in recruiting him :laugh:.

Edler Karlsson
Hughes Tanev
Hutton Stecher

Reactions: zcaptain

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
An unsung hero on this team. He's so important for the Canucks, because nobody else is as solid with many minutes. A very solid two-way defenseman, still. I remember when he entered as a rookie, now he's a veteran. He has not been a disappointment, he was about where I thought he would be. A solid top 2 defenseman, nothing spectacular, but someone you want on your team. He's not bad in any aspect of the game.

Swedish coaches for the national team have favoured Edler ahead of other very good defensemen with better seasons, all his career. That must be because all those Swedish coaches saw things in Edler more reactive fans don't see.

It's nice to hear he's looking to be back soon, hopefully. Why is there a Swedish unluck in Vancouver? Pettersson got two injuries (cheap shot, weird entanglement), Edler gets a freak injury (gets concussed by accidentally put his stick into the skate of the opponent), Markström suddenly has an injury problem... where is the Calgarian spy with the voodoo dolls in Vancouver?

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
It’s thankless in that he plays defense for the Canucks.

And its not all fairly tales and happy times being an NHL player, his recent face plant on this ice and many other injures can attest to that.

My job = catching wild animals that get too close to human populations.

One time I missed a wolf with a trank gun ... donated 3 fingers for $16.50/hour.

It is all fairy tales and happy times for Edler.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I vote to re-sign him, if anything his injury is just a blessing for Team Tank Vancouver Draft 2019 edition.
We need a graybeard defenseman more than ever, both to protect Hughes as well as push Guddy and others down the ladder as far as possible.
Benning sucks when trading or signing D. Best bet is to try to keep this asset at a fair price.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I vote to re-sign him, if anything his injury is just a blessing for Team Tank Vancouver Draft 2019 edition.
We need a graybeard defenseman more than ever, both to protect Hughes as well as push Guddy and others down the ladder as far as possible.
Benning sucks when trading or signing D. Best bet is to try to keep this asset at a fair price.
This is a really underrated point. Do you guys even want to imagine who Benning would target to replace Edler and at what price (unless of course he landed Karlsson or something by some miracle!)? I don't. It's literally safer to just keep Edler in the fold.

Reactions: lush

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You have to be very wary when signing Edler to a new deal. There are signs his game is deteriorating so it needs to be a 2 year type deal IMO.

I also think you have to look and realize that the current blueline needs a new 5-7 and needs to improve on what is in the top 4 (Improving the top 4 may result in helping to improve that 5-7 of course by pushing a guy or two down). The blueline needs a lot of work.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
4 years is too long. It's been thrown around plenty but i'd be pushing for the 2 year deal with more money, then to give him that long of term. 2 years x 7-7.5 million. Give him whatever kind of trade protection he wants if it seals the deal because it won't interfere with the expansion draft.

If they give him 3 years they can't give him a NMC.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

No ideas what this tweet even means
Is it quiet or active

Rick is just covering all the bases. If the deal gets done tomorrow he can say "I called it" if it takes weeks, he'll say "I said it was still quiet."

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd be fine with a 3 year deal at a cap% in line with what his current contract has been. Wouldn't want more term, unless it was at a comparable dollar figure that he's getting now. 1 year deals would be ideal, 2 years still good even at a higher cap hit, but a 3 year deal will suffice as long as it's keeping the cap hit reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad