Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
According to a tweet by Brandan Batchelor the Canucks never approached Edler with a list of teams to trade him to or offers that were on the table:

"“I want to stay here. (A contract extension) didn’t happen now. But that’s still my plan and my wish” - Alex Edler on not waiving his NTC

He went on to say that it never got as far as the #Canucks presenting options for where he could be moved in potential trades.@Sportsnet650"

Canucks Extra: Disappointment reigns as playoff dream dies in the desert

Midway through the article.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
According to a tweet by Brandan Batchelor the Canucks never approached Edler with a list of teams to trade him to or offers that were on the table:

"“I want to stay here. (A contract extension) didn’t happen now. But that’s still my plan and my wish” - Alex Edler on not waiving his NTC

He went on to say that it never got as far as the #Canucks presenting options for where he could be moved in potential trades.@Sportsnet650"

Canucks Extra: Disappointment reigns as playoff dream dies in the desert

Midway through the article.
Well duh, they didn’t take any calls on him until like one day before the TDL(which is stupid), of course they didn’t have chance to present a list to Edler himself

Reactions: TruKnyte

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
We’re a different team when he plays.
View attachment 193689
Of course we are, the defense is already one of the worst in the league. Losing a legitimate top4/top pairing defender in Edler exposes the lower end defenders to more ice time.

That’s the offer that blew Benning away?

Jeez, that ... is not a good package.

I think Kylington + 3rd was the package for rental Edler. The extended Edler is what's believed to have blown them away.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Well duh, they didn’t take any calls on him until like one day before the TDL(which is stupid), of course they didn’t have chance to present a list to Edler himself

Yea that was the part that surprised me (although perhaps it shouldn't have). I think the message it sends is that Benning was never seriously considering moving Edler and wants to resign him this year.

Reactions: timw33

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yea that was the part that surprised me (although perhaps it shouldn't have). I think the message it sends is that Benning was never seriously considering moving Edler and wants to resign him this year.
But the extension hasn’t have any progress in a while,which is why i believe they are far apart on terms and protection clause
I hoe Benning gores a pair for once and doesn’t give in to Edler’s camp
Let him walk if needed

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
But the extension hasn’t have any progress in a while,which is why i believe they are far apart on terms and protection clause

I'm guessing the sticking point is term. I can't see the Canucks wanting to offer anything beyond 2 years, and Edler wants his retirement deal.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Instead of letting him walk for nothing, he should be signed and then traded at next years TDL or the one after, depending on what the other new kids can show. DO NOT give Edler a NMC or the team will regret it.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Instead of letting him walk for nothing, he should be signed and then traded at next years TDL or the one after, depending on what the other new kids can show. DO NOT give Edler a NMC or the team will regret it.
It's a bit of a can't win situation. We can't afford to lose him or re-sign with the and NTC. Just give him a short term deal with no NTC huge cap hit to give him piece of mind as others have suggested.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This dude is so under appreciated, averaging ~27 minutes a game this month. Having his best offensive season (48 point pace) since the president trophy days. Also having the carry the team in all situations defensively being paired with Biega. Biega has been pretty good though. Meanwhile Tanev is watching TV wishing he could be as good as Edler.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'm guessing the sticking point is term. I can't see the Canucks wanting to offer anything beyond 2 years, and Edler wants his retirement deal.

You walk before you sign Edler long term regardless of how much this defence needs to improve. Big picture for ONCE.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... Kyllington is a small, defensively suspect skating LH defender who would have to play in the same roster spot that Hughes will be put in next month (and Pouliot is currently in). ...

So if as you say Hughes is soon to take the spot that Pouliot is currently in, and Pouliot has been in the pressbox for six consecutive games now, does that mean you're saying Hughes will be in the pressbox when he's healthy enough to play? :naughty:

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
It’s hilarious how ppl pretend like Edler is better than Tanev when both are healthy.
They’re both good, Edler has clearly had a bigger impact over the past few years when comparing the team’s play when we have one and not the other. Our P%, GF/G, GA/G, S/G, and SA/G are all significantly better with Edler and no Tanev than they are with Tanev and no Edler.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s hilarious how ppl pretend like Edler is better than Tanev when both are healthy.

Well Edler does bring more offense. And his uptick in offensive production this season could very well be due to having better offensive talent in front of him as well as better luck.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
They’re both good, Edler has clearly had a bigger impact over the past few years when comparing the team’s play when we have one and not the other. Our P%, GF/G, GA/G, S/G, and SA/G are all significantly better with Edler and no Tanev than they are with Tanev and no Edler.
It’s because Tanev is playing injured in a lot of those games.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
His offense is marginally better
Tanev has hit 20 points once in his career while Edler has never had less than 20 points in a season other than his rookie season of 22 games. I would say his offense is more than marginally better. I like Tanev but he brings basically no offense at all.

Edler career points/game = 0.45
Tanev career points/game = 0.22

Pretty significant difference.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Tanev has hit 20 points once in his career while Edler has never had less than 20 points in a season other than his rookie season of 22 games. I would say his offense is more than marginally better. I like Tanev but he brings basically no offense at all.

Edler career points/game = 0.45
Tanev career points/game = 0.22

Pretty significant difference.
Only reason Edler scores more is because he plays on the top pp and gets easy points. The sad thing is that if you our Hutton or Stecher there in place of him, the pp would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad