Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
First of all being open to discuss the possibility of waiving doesn’t mean waiving. Second post your source for scrutiny.

It was in the Athletties, which is behind a paywall so I’m not sure if the mods will let me post it here.

And if the Canucks worked with Edler since September on convincing him to waive his NTC I believe he would have. But instead they were talking extension. That’s the problem.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It was in the Athletties, which is behind a paywall so I’m not sure if the mods will let me post it here.

I can probably trace the history..

Botchford thought “hey wouldn’t it make sense if...”

Then he writes “rumours say that...”

Then people like y2k read it and post online that “it happened because Botchford said..”

Bottom line is I don’t respect Botchford as a source on this. His tabloid style journalism does not inspire my trust whatsoever. Try again.

Reactions: Nomobo and bbud

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I can probably trace the history..

Botchford thought “hey wouldn’t it make sense if...”

Then he writes “rumours say that...”

Then people like y2k read it and post online that “it happened because Botchford said..”

Bottom line is I don’t respect Botchford as a source on this. His tabloid style journalism does not inspire my trust whatsoever. Try again.

Good for you. Just because you don't want to believe the source doesn't mean Botchford makes things up. I get you don't like Botchford because he comes out with things that make Jim Benning look bad. Reality can suck sometimes.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Good for you. Just because you don't want to believe the source doesn't mean Botchford makes things up. I get you don't like Botchford because he comes out with things that make Jim Benning look bad. Reality can suck sometimes.

Botch does tend to stretch things at times which is why I was looking for some other sources I could care less what he writes about the GM .
Really big deals will get out to multiple sources ànd Calgaary kicking tires may be true or they may have made an offer and as I said before if it was such an amazing deal why is there nothing anywhere about names or prospects or picks involved?

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't like Botch because he often reports things that don't seem to make much sense, aren't reported at the time by anyone else, and which mainstream hockey insiders don't seem to feel confident reporting afterward.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If Benning truly wanted to move Edler he could've approached him and his agent prior to the deadline and told them, "Look, we have no intentions of bringing you back in the off-season, we'd like to find you a competitive team that is willing to re-sign you to a contract you desire." The problem is, Benning isn't willing to move on from Edler being on this team next season, thus that conversation likely never happened.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If Benning truly wanted to move Edler he could've approached him and his agent prior to the deadline and told them, "Look, we have no intentions of bringing you back in the off-season, we'd like to find you a competitive team that is willing to re-sign you to a contract you desire." The problem is, Benning isn't willing to move on from Edler being on this team next season, thus that conversation likely never happened.
He did have intentions of bringing Edler back, which is sensible considering he has consistently refused to waive and is apparently willing to sign on favourable terms. Edler and his agent would likely have seen through any obfuscation on this front.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Botch does tend to stretch things at times which is why I was looking for some other sources I could care less what he writes about the GM .
Really big deals will get out to multiple sources ànd Calgaary kicking tires may be true or they may have made an offer and as I said before if it was such an amazing deal why is there nothing anywhere about names or prospects or picks involved?

Go ask Botch why he didn't come out with the deal. Maybe the only information he has is that Canucks management were blown away by the offer but he didn't actually hear what the offer was? Or maybe he was asked not to release the names because it would make things awkward for the Flames if those players found out their team was trying to trade them. But what I do know is you're looking for every excuse possible to ignore this sourced report.

I don't like Botch because he often reports things that don't seem to make much sense, aren't reported at the time by anyone else, and which mainstream hockey insiders don't seem to feel confident reporting afterward.

So in other words, you don't like Botch because he reports things you don't like. Got it.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Go ask Botch why he didn't come out with the deal. Maybe the only information he has is that Canucks management were blown away by the offer but he didn't actually hear what the offer was? Or maybe he was asked not to release the names because it would make things awkward for the Flames if those players found out their team was trying to trade them. But what I do know is you're looking for every excuse possible to ignore this sourced report.

So in other words, you don't like Botch because he reports things you don't like. Got it.

Lol I listen today and did not hear any Canuck radio reporters say one word about this and if it was a real offer by now a few have gotten details im just saying its very suspect to buy the whole omg amazing offer with nothing zip nada anywhere else on it .
I was never disreptcful of your opinion just question why it's only coming from 1 source .

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lol I listen today and did not hear any Canuck radio reporters say one word about this and if it was a real offer by now a few have gotten details im just saying its very suspect to buy the whole omg amazing offer with nothing zip nada anywhere else on it .
I was never disreptcful of your opinion just question why it's only coming from 1 source .

I honestly don't care. This isn't something that local sports radio is going to dwell on. This was on the Patcast. You don't want to believe it because it goes against your narrative. That's very typical of pro-Benning supporters. Just dismiss anything that makes Benning look bad.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I honestly don't care. This isn't something that local sports radio is going to dwell on. This was on the Patcast. You don't want to believe it because it goes against your narrative. That's very typical of pro-Benning supporters. Just dismiss anything that makes Benning look bad.

Lmao has nothing to do with any narrative or.Benning its pretty hard to buy there was truly any jaw dropper deal its far more likely some general tire kicking was going on and that's it .

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lmao has nothing to do with any narrative or.Benning its pretty hard to buy there was truly any jaw dropper deal its far more likely some general tire kicking was going on and that's it .

Except now John Jang is apparently reporting that the Canucks were offered Kylington and a mid-round pick. So there goes your narrative.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

Also the reality is Edĺer if signed to a fair deal helps the team why not unless you really have a d man that fills his spot.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Except now John Jang is apparently reporting that the Canucks were offered Kylington and a mid-round pick. So there goes your narrative.

What the Hell did they think Edler was worth? A 4th rounder? I mean that's not even a great offer and it blew their socks off. Everyone is so freaking incompetent down at the Rog.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That’s the offer that blew Benning away?

Jeez, that ... is not a good package.

I would still take it. Would be nice to have another young defenseman on the team, but it certainly isn't an offer that should blow anyone away, that's true.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would still take it. Would be nice to have another young defenseman on the team, but it certainly isn't an offer that should blow anyone away, that's true.

Kyllington is just another Connor Carrick or a young Matt Bartkowski. Nice skater, sucks at everything else.

That would have been a brutal return on Edler and - as usual - the pro scouting is extremely suspect if Benning is ‘blown away’ by Kyllington.

Also the team building is stunningly suspect if Bennings wanted to take this as Kyllington is a small, defensively suspect skating LH defender who would have to play in the same roster spot that Hughes will be put in next month (and Pouliot is currently in). You can’t develop Hughes and Kyllington at the same time so it’s a pointless acquisition.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Lmfao yep the canucks management fell on floor laughing it was jaw dropping .

Reactions: Nomobo

Love

Feb 29, 2012
We’re a different team when he plays.
upload_2019-2-28_19-0-47.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also the reality is Edĺer if signed to a fair deal helps the team why not unless you really have a d man that fills his spot.
There’s no point in locking that spot in now. Free agency and trades can change things.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
There’s no point in locking that spot in now. Free agency and trades can change things.

True and in reality that should be a continuous aim any ways to search who or what's available ultimate goal is always to improve.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
That offer screams Benning . Why take a 1 st rounder when we can fill the "age-gap" with somebody another team has pretty much decided isnt going to be a regular for them. If it was say Fabbro for Edler then you would have to think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad