Value of: Alexander Edler (Vancouver Canucks D)

Would you consider Alex Edler as an upgrade on your team's top 4?

• Total voters

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Elder is a shell of what he was now, he looked bad in the pre season. I would not expect him to fetch more than a late 2nd at best.
lol yes that's a good way to look at it?

Horrible pre season for 12yr 1st pairing vet = worth Roman Polak rates

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
This guy is just like the Sedins. Happy to play out his contract on a losing team without even trying to go win somewhere else. “It’s a nice city I like it here” is what he’ll say after he refuses to waive his NMC at the deadline. He’ll probably be hurt by then anyways.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Elder is a shell of what he was now, he looked bad in the pre season. I would not expect him to fetch more than a late 2nd at best.

He put up 34 points in 70 games last year and was on pace for a 40 point season, while playing top pairing minutes and his defensive game has improved over the last few years.

He gets a late 1st from a contending team that wants to solidify their top 4. If Hansen received the equivalent of a late 1st (Goldobin) and a 4th rounder (conditional 1st if San Jose won the Cup) - then Edler receives something similar at the very least.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Edler had a weak finish last season and a poor camp. He has to show some game before I'd invest in him. If he has anything left, Canucks cannot spare him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tanev is better than Edler, everyone who knows anything about the Canucks knows that.

That being said Edler is a quality defender that can eat up tough assignments, he would be an excellent 2nd pairing guy on a contending team.
The other side for the Canucks is who do they have that will play with their 2 young Dmen Hughes and Juolevi?

Tanev can play with one of them but I shudder to have either kid play with gudbranson. Which is a sad indictment on their $4 mill per Dman.

If Hughes can play the right side it probably is better to retain edler and pair him with Hughes and put Juolevi with Tanev.

Edler has a full ntc so up to him if he wants to go. Likely he won’t or the team will extend him. They already know how bad they are at bringing in Dmen under this regime. Better the guy you know than the unknown it would appear. Gudbeanson, MDZ, Pouliot, Bartkowski, Pedan, Clendenning, etc.

Last edited:

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I could see the Canucks trading Edler at the deadline as a rental for a late first, then resign him for 3-4 years as a UFA.

Long term I can't see him playing anywhere but Van.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
If he doesn't sign a contract with the Canucks for next season, I really want to see how the perception of Edler changes. He is so underrated sometimes.
1st, or a 2nd + B prospect, or a fringe-blue chip

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If Edler was a RD there would be more of an appetite from the Leafs to pay the price. It would have to be a perfect value storm to make a move for him, and I doubt the Leafs first would be going in this deal. Likely a 2nd + something small and if that was beaten then oh well.

It would be more likely if Tanev was healthy at the deadline that their first would move for him.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If he doesn't sign a contract with the Canucks for next season, I really want to see how the perception of Edler changes. He is so underrated sometimes.
1st, or a 2nd + B prospect, or a fringe-blue chip

Players on bad teams get over rated when they stand out in a good way, and underrated when they don't stand out as being bad. Edler plays a quiet game. Nothing to do with Vancouver.

member 157595

Vancouver is hosting the 2019 Draft. We would welcome your first round pick and maybe a guy like Bracco or if at all possible my personal pref would be Johnsson.

1st Round Pick (29-31 hopefully for Leafs fans)
Andreas Johnsson /or/ Jeremy Bracco + Borgman/Neilsson

Something like that would excite me as a Canucks fan.

I agree, by the trade deadline though Olli Juolevi will likely be a full-time NHL'er plus Sautner/Breezer can be called up to fill the gaps. If we are going be bad enough where we should sell, I say go all in on the trade deadline deals.

I'd definitely consider 1st + Bracco + Nielsen for Tanev, but not Edler. Don't know if that does anything for Benning though.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This guy is just like the Sedins. Happy to play out his contract on a losing team without even trying to go win somewhere else. “It’s a nice city I like it here” is what he’ll say after he refuses to waive his NMC at the deadline. He’ll probably be hurt by then anyways.

The Sedin's were never asked to waive, not at all sure what your talking about. Way to contribute a troll post to what was a good discussion.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Edler had a weak finish last season and a poor camp. He has to show some game before I'd invest in him. If he has anything left, Canucks cannot spare him.
Did you even watch the end of the season last year? Edler finished on a 50 point pace through the final 41 games of the season. He scored his highest total in points in like 4 seasons. He’s also relied upon heavily by the Canucks in all situations. Was consistently in the Top30 for TOI.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I could see the Canucks trading Edler at the deadline as a rental for a late first, then resign him for 3-4 years as a UFA.

Long term I can't see him playing anywhere but Van.
If he were to be traded, I highly doubt the Canucks go that long in term. If he were to come back after a trade I think 2 years would be as long as they’d go. It would coincide with the other veterans on defence and their contracts ending

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he were to be traded, I highly doubt the Canucks go that long in term. If he were to come back after a trade I think 2 years would be as long as they’d go. It would coincide with the other veterans on defence and their contracts ending
Given that countryman Hjalmarson signed for an extra 2 years in AZ. These 2 are basically the same age. But then again it’s Benning and he loves handing out both dollar and term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad