Value of: Alexander Edler (Vancouver Canucks D)

Would you consider Alex Edler as an upgrade on your team's top 4?

• Total voters

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
O7uu6Mk

O7uu6Mk.png

Currently the Canucks best defender. A good shut-down guy who can contribute a few points in the process. Ideally a #3 or #4 D on a top team. Currently serves as Canucks #1D, he loves Vancouver but may be forced to move this trade deadline. Could be a good rental and/or a possible re-sign option. Current cap hit is 5,000,000 on the dot.

Last Season:
70GP - 6G - 28A - 34PTs

Has played internationally for Sweden on many occasions and can be a dominant physical force when engaged. Alex has had back issues in the past but he has been healthy in that regard for many seasons. He can lay on the body when he wants too and is extremely smart defensively. Sometimes gets outplayed vs top matchup's in Vancouver but that is largely because he is always out there vs the top guys.

In a 2nd pairing role as a #3 or #4 he can be a steady force and contribute some offence. Edler has spent his entire career in Vancouver though but now with the Sedin twins gone and his deal expiring it is unclear if the team will bring him back. Next season Quinn Hughes (7th OA) and Olli Juolevi (5th OA) are expected to be full-time NHL'ers.

He isn't a perfect defender but he is steady, patient, and has some really desirable traits. We have learned to really appreciate his play over the last few seasons as the team has struggled mightily. He currently serves as the teams #1 PPQB but on a good team, he would be likely on a 2nd PP pairing or strictly in a shutdown role.

What would you guys consider "fair or reasonable" value for a guy like this fella? Vancouver could, in theory, retain salary if your team is under the crunch financially. (Up to 2.5M in salary).

Tell me what you think. :D

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Needless to say, he would be a welcome addition to the Leafs blueline, but I doubt we’d be able to give up what it would cost to obtain him with retention.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Needless to say, he would be a welcome addition to the Leafs blueline, but I doubt we’d be able to give up what it would cost to obtain him with retention.
Vancouver is hosting the 2019 Draft. We would welcome your first round pick and maybe a guy like Bracco or if at all possible my personal pref would be Johnsson.

1st Round Pick (29-31 hopefully for Leafs fans)
Andreas Johnsson /or/ Jeremy Bracco + Borgman/Neilsson

Something like that would excite me as a Canucks fan.

someone needs to play for the canucks
I agree, by the trade deadline though Olli Juolevi will likely be a full-time NHL'er plus Sautner/Breezer can be called up to fill the gaps. If we are going be bad enough where we should sell, I say go all in on the trade deadline deals.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
O7uu6Mk

O7uu6Mk.png

Currently the Canucks best defender. A good shut-down guy who can contribute a few points in the process. Ideally a #3 or #4 D on a top team. Currently serves as Canucks #1D, he loves Vancouver but may be forced to move this trade deadline. Could be a good rental and/or a possible re-sign option. Current cap hit is 5,000,000 on the dot.

Last Season:
70GP - 6G - 28A - 34PTs

Has played internationally for Sweden on many occasions and can be a dominant physical force when engaged. Alex has had back issues in the past but he has been healthy in that regard for many seasons. He can lay on the body when he wants too and is extremely smart defensively. Sometimes gets outplayed vs top matchup's in Vancouver but that is largely because he is always out there vs the top guys.

In a 2nd pairing role as a #3 or #4 he can be a steady force and contribute some offence. Edler has spent his entire career in Vancouver though but now with the Sedin twins gone and his deal expiring it is unclear if the team will bring him back. Next season Quinn Hughes (7th OA) and Olli Juolevi (5th OA) are expected to be full-time NHL'ers.

He isn't a perfect defender but he is steady, patient, and has some really desirable traits. We have learned to really appreciate his play over the last few seasons as the team has struggled mightily. He currently serves as the teams #1 PPQB but on a good team, he would be likely on a 2nd PP pairing or strictly in a shutdown role.

What would you guys consider "fair or reasonable" value for a guy like this fella? Vancouver could, in theory, retain salary if your team is under the crunch financially. (Up to 2.5M in salary).

Not the Canucks best defender. Chris Tanev is.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
O7uu6Mk

O7uu6Mk.png

Last Season:
70GP - 6G - 28A - 34PTs

Too much for a rental with an injury history and one good year out of his last three; they aren't paying for Edler as he was 5 years ago, they are paying for what he is now. The Leafs can use that 1st as part of a package for a rental more likely to move the needle in the playoffs then Edler will be.

Also, Tanev is better, and even with his worrying injury history the Leafs would be willing to offer a good deal for him... but not Nylander.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I can see a situation where Edler is dealt at the deadline to a contender and then Edler re-signing in Vancouver in the off-season, similar to Tomas Plekanec. Edler has made it known he wants to remain in Vancouver and wants to re-sign here.
Thats a best case possibility and also helps the tank down the stretch. Totally whatll be best for the Canucks short and long term

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Too much for a rental with an injury history and one good year out of his last three; they aren't paying for Edler as he was 5 years ago, they are paying for what he is now. The Leafs can use that 1st as part of a package for a rental more likely to move the needle in the playoffs then Edler will be.

Also, Tanev is better, and even with his worrying injury history the Leafs would be willing to offer a good deal for him... but not Nylander.
Actually most Canucks fans would probably agree his past two years are his best ever. Defensively of course. His offense numbers were up around 2011 when we were a good team with fire power

Reactions: dim jim

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Actually most Canucks fans would probably agree his past two years are his best ever. Defensively of course. His offense numbers were up around 2011 when we were a good team with fire power
Admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Canucks games to know for sure, but I thought Tanev was supposed to be very good defensively... just not good offensively, hasn't he surpassed Edler yet?

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Canucks games to know for sure, but I thought Tanev was supposed to be very good defensively... just not good offensively, hasn't he surpassed Edler yet?
Yeah overall Tanev is def a better dman

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm not so sure this is true. Tanev is younger and on a longer contract with a lower cap hit but on ice value now, I think Edler and Tanev are very comparable.
Tanev contract aside even is the better player being a RHD makes him a no brainer over Edler. Edler is a stable 2nd pairing Dman that can play top pairing but preferably would be best served on 2nd pairing. Tanev though gives you nothing offensively makes every partner with him better as he's the rock defensively.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Edler now is better than Edler 5 years ago.

He defends well now.

But age and injuries are a factor, yes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he's played years as a top pairing guy, so he's actually battle hardned top pairing, he does have the stamina to play over 25 minutes, that said he's a UFA, might as well go for him then.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Well, I would accept a 2nd plus a small add for Edler, maybe your first if you're willing. That's not a super hefty price considering the Leafs have spent 2nd rounders on 4Cs for the past two seasons.

But Edler is a LD and might not be the best fit for you.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Vancouver is hosting the 2019 Draft. We would welcome your first round pick and maybe a guy like Bracco or if at all possible my personal pref would be Johnsson.

1st Round Pick (29-31 hopefully for Leafs fans)
Andreas Johnsson /or/ Jeremy Bracco + Borgman/Neilsson

Something like that would excite me as a Canucks fan.

I agree, by the trade deadline though Olli Juolevi will likely be a full-time NHL'er plus Sautner/Breezer can be called up to fill the gaps. If we are going be bad enough where we should sell, I say go all in on the trade deadline deals.

Just to be clear are you suggesting a 1st and Johnsson Or keep the 1st and do Bracco+Borgman/Neilson instead?

Because if Johnsson performs as expected you won't get him

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I can see a situation where Edler is dealt at the deadline to a contender and then Edler re-signing in Vancouver in the off-season, similar to Tomas Plekanec. Edler has made it known he wants to remain in Vancouver and wants to re-sign here.

That would be the ideal scenario.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, I would accept a 2nd plus a small add for Edler, maybe your first if you're willing. That's not a super hefty price considering the Leafs have spent 2nd rounders on 4Cs for the past two seasons.

But Edler is a LD and might not be the best fit for you.

What kind of add? Edler could bump Hainsey down

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One of your B prospects. Someone in the Bracco/Timashov/Marchment tier. I'd rather Grundstrom, but that's probably a bit much too.

I suspect a 2nd and either Timashov or Marchment would be doable, Bracco might be a little much

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One of your B prospects. Someone in the Bracco/Timashov/Marchment tier. I'd rather Grundstrom, but that's probably a bit much too.

Grundstrom is probably a B+ prospect. Plays LW which we'll need down the road and the organization seems high on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->