Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Oh OK we're on the same page then.

Yeah this same discussion has been going on for a while, and it's quite bizarre. NTCs screwed the team so we couldn't trade anyone! *trades several players with NTCs including ones who didn't even want to leave*.

I suspect that this trope has continued because people refuse to categorize NHL players as business contractors. When an action is taken against a player, people default to seeing that as an action taken against them, to their person. That's what informs their response. Instead, that action should be interpreted as an employer conducting business involving his business contractor.

When the act of subverting the letter of the contract is applied to that concept, the reaction is doubtful to be as visceral. IMO, people should re-frame the act of pushing someone to waive their NTC. It's a business move, nothing more.

Maybe I just jumped into the convo late....your post made it seem like Jim was saying waive the clause or you don't get an offer from us even in July. Edler's agent would laugh in their face.

Jim won't even pretend they don't want him, they know they need him, Edler's camp knows they need him.

I can't vote in the polls for some reason, but I'd never go into the 4 year range....I can't even view the results of the poll...what option is winning?

Well, they want him or the return he will garner. They don't want him to walk for nothing.

Jim was pretty coy about bringing Edler back earlier on this season. He also asked Edler to waive his NTC and Edler refused. Given that information, it appears that Jim wanted to explore the route of asset return over player retention. That was his displayed "need" for Edler until now.

For his part, Edler chose to lean on his NTC and put JB to a dilemma: Let Edler walk for nothing or re-sign him (the initial options Jim was probably considering). It's still Benning's choice to choose to operate within that framework. The only way outside of that framework is to seriously consider letting Edler walk for nothing. That was something he was unprepared to do.

In other words, if Jim had any hope of trading Edler, or Edler doing anything different than he had already done, he needed to take away Edler's hope of returning first. Then, everything shifts.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
In other words, if Jim had any hope of trading Edler, or Edler doing anything different than he had already done, he needed to take away Edler's hope of returning first. Then, everything shifts.
Yeah, if the ultimate plan was trade then re-sign, they couldn't let that cat out of the bag. They needed to treat him like Garrison. At the end of the day I'm not that worked up over retaining him...until we see the contract at least.

member 290103

Jim was pretty coy about bringing Edler back earlier on this season. He also asked Edler to waive his NTC and Edler refused. Given that information, it appears that Jim wanted to explore the route of asset return over player retention. That was his displayed "need" for Edler until now.

For his part, Edler chose to lean on his NTC and put JB to a dilemma: Let Edler walk for nothing or re-sign him (the initial options Jim was probably considering). It's still Benning's choice to choose to operate within that framework. The only way outside of that framework is to seriously consider letting Edler walk for nothing. That was something he was unprepared to do.

Where was this stated?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Where was this stated?

I didn't get back to you on this: Source is the Patcast,but I don't remember if it was the latest episode or the one before. Halford and Brough have also mentioned that they have heard the same.

Grain of salt though.

Also: When Benning was on Walker/Rintoul, they asked him if he had approached Edler this year about a trade or re-signing. Benning said that he hadn't spoken with him. After Benning hangs up, Rintoul and Walker imply that they do not fully trust everything that Benning relays. That it's far easier for him to say that he hadn't spoken with Edler, than to divulge information he does not want to divulge at this point in time.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like its facial plus possible concussion. Good news is his leg/knee doesnt seem broken. Looked like he was wearing an air cast when he was strechered off.

Get well soon Eddy

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sounds like its facial plus possible concussion. Good news is his leg/knee doesnt seem broken. Looked like he was wearing an air cast when he was strechered off.

Get well soon Eddy

Facial can be really bad—Fowler just missed 3-ish months after requiring reconstructive surgery.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I doubt this injury is serious. Edler will conveniently out for 3 weeks to allow the trade deadline to come and go without any speculation to as why Dim Jim didn't try and seek a trade and then re-sign him July 1. Then he'll be re-signed soon after. Easiest route for a player who doesn't like change and loves the comforts of the country club culture of Vancouver and an owner/GM who is scared of actually rebuilding. Could of seen this coming a mile away.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt this injury is serious. Edler will conveniently out for 3 weeks to allow the trade deadline to come and go without any speculation to as why Dim Jim didn't try and seek a trade and then re-sign him July 1. Then he'll be re-signed soon after. Easiest route for a player who doesn't like change and loves the comforts of the country club culture of Vancouver and an owner/GM who is scared of actually rebuilding. Could of seen this coming a mile away.

The hell did i just read ??

Easiest route ever?

Theres gotta be an easier way before settling on a break my face on the ice plan

Lmao im sure Edler planned to break his face tnt so that he wouldnt get traded.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Edler did this on purpose. :sarcasm:

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Watch Benning sign edler to a long term deal and edler promptly suffers from lingering post concussion symptoms that derail his career

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The hell did i just read ??

Easiest route ever?

Theres gotta be an easier way before settling on a break my face on the ice plan

Lmao im sure Edler planned to break his face tnt so that he wouldnt get traded.

Yea I don’t agree with you often but that was a dumb take if I’ve ever heard one, right up there with the poster that said Scott Stevens was “maybe” a franchise defensemen

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
gffo

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
So Edler's stick finally got revenge for all it's broken brothers.

Can't wait until Edler is back and breaks a few of those f***ers to remind them who is in charge.

I think he'll be "ok" though, relatively speaking. It looked bad, but I don't think Edler has much concussion history. Had the potential to be a lot worse, people falling and hitting their head on hard surfaces is no joke, but right now it seems like he got relatively lucky with some degree of broken face.

Also the Cancuks post was quality IMO. You all need to get a sense of humour!

Last edited:

topched88

Jan 21, 2007

Totally. Easiest way to do this was to purposely smash your face off the ice so hard you lay in a pool of your own blood unconscious and get stretchered off the ice. I honestly don’t know why more players wouldn’t do it that way

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We’ll see how he feels when he wakes up tomorrow. Him walking around after the game is a good sign for now, but this could drastically change as quickly as tomorrow morning.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Wow this is an idiotic post. It’s all a conspiracy junior

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Agree. Benning wants to keep a low stress environment where hard decisions don't have to be made.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
hC070A8B8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->