Player Discussion Alexander Edler. 8:08 of PP TOI in the Final 36 Games of 2019-20. One Year Remaining at $6 M.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Junk defenseman like Dan Hamhuis. Myers hasn't even played to the level of Jason Garrison yet. Myers, Mr. 0-0-0 stat-line for the playoffs. lol at developing Stecher. Guy might not even be re-signed.

Hamhuis was coming here regardless..he wanted to play in his home province..had nothing to do with Gilligans genius..

Stecher is an NHL defensemen, developed here...All I remember of Garrison is watching him (under Torts) getting turnstiled every game.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hamhuis was coming here regardless..he wanted to play in his home province..had nothing to do with Gilligans genius..
meh, we were able to draft Hughes because of draft position. It wasn't like the Boeser pick. It had nothing to do with Jethro's genius. Genius was the Virtanen pick.

All I remember of Garrison is watching him (under Torts) getting turnstiled every game.
You're confusing him with:

Garrison played in the top four (if you're going to be trotting out stats to support Myers) for the Bolts for a season or two. Then his groin gave out.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
meh, we were able to draft Hughes because of draft position. It wasn't like the Boeser pick. It had nothing to do with Jethro's genius. Genius was the Virtanen pick.

You're confusing him with:

Garrison played in the top four (if you're going to be trotting out stats to support Myers) for the Bolts for a season or two. Then his groin gave out.

There is no guarantee any player is going to turn out...The draft is littered with D men taken at the top of the draft who didnt pan out.(which was discussed in posts earlier in this thread)..Hughes could easily have been physically overmatched at the NHL level....The genius was picking three consecutive Calder finalists (and one winner)..;)

You're obviously obsessed with Sbisa and Gudbranson..You seem to insert these guys in to almost every discussion...

Nov 1, 2011
There is no guarantee any player is going to turn out...The draft is littered with D men taken at the top of the draft who didnt pan out.(which was discussed in posts earlier in this thread)..Hughes could easily have been physically overmatched at the NHL level....The genius was picking three consecutive Calder finalists (and one winner)..;)

You're obviously obsessed with Sbisa and Gudbranson..You seem to insert these guys in to almost every discussion...

Probably because Guds and Sbisa are examples of how easy it is to pull a top 4 dman out of the first round (Guds = 3rd overall and Sbisa = 19th overall) both clearly as good as Hughes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At this point in his career, Edler would be no better than a 5-6 on a contending team. But year after, the Canucks failure to draft or acquire top-four d-men, means he has to play up the lineup.

He can still be effective if Green controls his minutes and limits his special teams play. Hopefully he can still make an important contribution on the last year of his contract. Beyond next season, who knows?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yeah I'm about done with watching him on the PP lulz. But still, depending on health and no sudden drop in ability I would like to see them sign him for a 2 year $3-4 millionish per season contract. But I also understand if he wants to chase the money and go for one last big contract (though I am not sure teams would be lining up for that)
More like 1 year 2.5m

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
My league just finished its 3-round entry draft (26 teams), and one of our top drafters went last... so naturally I dive into this player, a defenseman where there is a premium on skilled blueliners.

As I’m researching this kid I see lots of standard DMan jargon, but I do come across this quote that stays with me:

"But they (the scouted kid’s teammates) think if they make one good pass and maybe the NHL might like you, too," Coach said of the rest of the team. "It just doesn't work that way. They try to do something heroic where the simple play is there. In the end, the NHL guy thinks, 'That guy can't play hockey. He had a simple play and he tried something heroic.'"

This is exactly how I see Edler... he was more dynamic when he was younger and that was exciting even though there was risk. But he’s as steady as they come now, eating tough minutes and contributing where he can... he no longer has to shoulder the entire offensive responsibilities from the back end. Him making the simple play allows our skilled players to be dynamic.

I am happy he’s there to mentor the new Canucks... carrying on a strong tradition from the Sedins, Linden, et al. Horvat and EP40 take the mantle once Alex retires.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Nah. Edler is still a capable 2nd pairing D on a contender. Would you not have slotted Edler into Dallas' 2nd pairing ahead of Oleksiak and Sekera? Not every team has Tampa's left side D.

Yeah, Green just needs to take away some of the hard minutes from him. Hughes is ready to take some of that load away, and hopefully Myers, can step up as well.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad