Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yes, and that edge was commensurately reflected in the contract he signed. It's not a huge win for anyone in particular, or grounds for crtiticism.

Oh it’s definitely not a huge win, or even a win, as not many 33 year old UFAs get 4 year contracts and even fewer ever prove worth the investment. The AAV isn’t bad though, as for the next 1-2 years he should hold up enough for that to be reasonably commensurate to his value. It’s the 2 years after that that are the problem.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You seem to be struggling with understanding what $5.5m gets you these days. Take a look at some of the recent contracts signed. It's less than half of Karlson's AAV. And how much higher will the cap be in three or four years? Better to pay an extra percentage point or two against the cap three/four years from now, than to shoot the team in the foot by letting Edler walk.

Obviously there's a demand from Edler it makes sense to walk from. A fourth year at this reported AAV is not it.

Maybe know what you are talking about before squawking. Go back and read the thread. When reports were 3 years, MS said it was a good deal (not an acceptable one, a good one). Then reports say it might be 4, and now it's going to hamstring the franchise? Are poor and hamstrings synonyms? Is that really how degrees work? Don't think so, bub.

Pretty sure “poor” and “hamstring” aren’t synonyms. Again you don’t seem to be able to work in degrees all that well.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about expansion draft protection? At this point I’d care about protecting Hughes and that’s it. Couldn’t really care less if any of our other dmen got claimed at this point.

Yes. Protecting more assets is always better than the alternative. The closer the expansion draft gets the more it will matter.

Good deal if 3 years, decent if 4 and cap is modest. Guy will log 20+ minutes for the bulk of the contract and likely lead the D core for years one and two.

Figure it's a near certainty that Tanev gets dealt this summer. After last year they are extra sensitive to bringing back (nearly) the same back end for another year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He has been and currently is worth much more than the 5 mil he's been making. Bringing him back on a home-discount deal is pretty much a no brainer. There are questions about length of term and when his play drops off, though. We should be concerned, but practically freaking out about it is senseless until his play actually drops off.

When you understand age related decline in the NHL, you can all but project a drop off in play at about 35~. If you don't, then anecdotes like "who knows, look at this exception over here" is the rebuttal.

People shouldn't be chasing the exception to disprove the rule.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Oh it’s definitely not a huge win, or even a win, as not many 33 year old UFAs get 4 year contracts and even fewer ever prove worth the investment. The AAV isn’t bad though, as for the next 1-2 years he should hold up enough for that to be reasonably commensurate to his value. It’s the 2 years after that that are the problem.
Edler would easily have gotten a better contract on the open market.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
so he would of been the best ufa dman after karlsson, teams would of thrown term and more money at him and you guys are mad about the possible 4th year where if hes unplayable he will go on ltir/retire.

once again..

hes going to take less money to be here, benning got him to agree about the expansion problem, and he asked for a 4th year so he can retire as a canuck (cap can go bye bye with retiring not 35+ contract or theres ltir)

benning did good with this one, you guys should at least give him credit for this one.
blast him for whatever horrible ufa dman we sign.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Edler would easily have gotten a better contract on the open market.

Maybe better AAV, doubtful better AAV AND 4 year term. Could see it from a team that is in Cup-mode, doubtful any that are 50/50 to be a bottom 10 finisher this time next year.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
so he would of been the best ufa dman after karlsson, teams would of thrown term and more money at him and you guys are mad about the possible 4th year where if hes unplayable he will go on ltir/retire.

once again..

hes going to take less money to be here, benning got him to agree about the expansion problem, and he asked for a 4th year so he can retire as a canuck (cap can go bye bye with retiring not 35+ contract or theres ltir)

benning did good with this one, you guys should at least give him credit for this one.
blast him for whatever horrible ufa dman we sign.

He would not have been the best UFA dman after Karlsson, no.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Maybe better AAV, doubtful better AAV AND 4 year term. Could see it from a team that is in Cup-mode, doubtful any that are 50/50 to be a bottom 10 finisher this time next year.
You're the first person I'm seen suggest Edler would have gotten less than 20-22m on the open market, even among committed anti-Benning posters and people who dislike this signing. I'm nearly certain the consensus is correct.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You're the first person I'm seen suggest Edler would have gotten less than 20-22m on the open market, even among committed anti-Benning posters and people who dislike this signing. I'm nearly certain the consensus is correct.

Well speculation is all fun and good, but we’ll have a better idea of how this hypothetical would have played out when Stralman signs his deal.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
He would not have been the best UFA dman after Karlsson, no.
who do you have ahead of him? gardiner? myers?
neither of those can handle the opposition edler can, and id say edlers offense is just as good as gardiners if you look at quality of teammates.

stralman is the only other and id say they are similar

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
who do you have ahead of him? gardiner? myers?
neither of those can handle the opposition edler can, and id say edlers offense is just as good as gardiners if you look at quality of teammates.

stralman is the only other and id say they are similar

Gardiner easily, yes. You’re stretching massively to try to equate them. Stralman is similar. Myers, god no.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If we’d played Biega or Schenn instead of Gudbranson all year we probably make the playoffs last year. We do have one thing Edmonton never had, which is an elite goalie.

I don’t see how anyone can realistically expect a team with no defensive depth to ditch their top 2 defenders and replace them with nobody. They aren’t going to go 2015 Leafs at this point.

Obviously we shouldn’t be in this position but once we’re in this position ...

They will become EDM... It will be 2015 Leafs... If Biega and Schenn played over Gudbranson... Can't ditch a top2 Dman without replacing him... MS, every one of these statements can be categorized as a false premise. It's alarmist rationale. Let's park this and instead examine it through another lens:

For a supposed rebuilding club, one that has had a top10 pick in 5 of the past 6 years, signing an aged veteran to retirement deal is not the standard course. I know you understand this because you have outlined management's ineptitude as a reason to chase Edler now. Not that you would advocate signing Edler had there been a better framework here. However, when acknowledging this you are actually adopting Benning's perspective to judge this deal. You are not in fact adopting the perspective of a rebuilding club. One that walks away from potential anchor contracts.

I find this stuff fascinating because it's amazing to me how fans can adopt the paradigm a GM wants them to adopt, eventually. Regardless of whether those same fans have maligned the moves of the GM that have led to that paradigm.

In this case, I think Melvin has the right of it. Then again, there may have been more leeway had Benning not saddled the team with poor contracts. That way, this retirement deal would have that much less of an impact... Such is life.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The risk in years 3 and 4, worst case scenario, is that they buy him out. It won't happen because, at $5.5M, Edler will probably earn his money in the later years. Would you rather pay Karlsson $11.5M as a 36 and a 37 year old?
I'm saying Please no to Gardiner.

Reactions: iceburg

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
2 years is a win - 3 years is tolerable but not great - 4 years is a huge mistake

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
How do you figure? With Edler off the market, it’s even tighter supply and Stralman fits the Edler age and position profile pretty closely.

...? Edler had double the points Stralman had last year and was playing 4 mins more a night. That and Stralman was playing on the team with the 2nd best record in NHL history... the Canucks were not that.

That seems like a poor comparison.

Reactions: Nomobo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Structure of the contract will be important. No buyout proof like Eriksson.

If year 4 if there is one is straight salary and is close to the cap number then a buyout is an option if required.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Gardiner easily, yes. You’re stretching massively to try to equate them. Stralman is similar. Myers, god no.

gardiner only becauase of age?
in terms of player they are now, edler easily

personally rather edler at 5mil for 4yrs than gardiner for 7.5-8mil for 7yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->