Alexander Burmistrov

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Seguins Dragon*, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Tell me about this guy.

What is his upside?
    What is an NHL player comparable?
    Does he have #1 center potential? or where does he project?

Why do we hear about Seguin being a "bust" or "disappointment" when Burmistrov had a more disappointing season.

Seguin- 74 Games- 11 goals, 11 assists, 131 shots, 12:12 ice time
    Burmistrov- 74 games- 6 goals, 14 assists, 92 shots, 13:13 ice time

2. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    Burmistrov's numbers don't even tell half the story about this kid. He's a defensive wizard and his speed is an asset in all three zones. What I want to see from an 18 year old in the NHL is not too complicated, it's just flashes that a player is really going to be special. I didn't see a lot of that with Seguin. I noticed Burmistrov in a positive aspect in every game I saw him play this year. Whether it was an intense back check, an impressive takeaway, or another hard play that he made that just made me say, "wow, this guy is going to be a player".

He has that Datsyuk level of compete in the defensive aspects of the game. I don't know if he'll ever be a point per game player, but if he can play 50-60 point hockey and be as strong defensively as he was this year or even get better, then he'll be well worth his draft position.

3. By the sounds of it, he is better suited for center, now where does he project?

A number 1 center?
    A number 2 center?
    A number 1 RW?

4. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    I wouldn't project him as a first line player at this point. It is really hard to tell where exactly he's going to end up in the grand scheme of things but I would feel comfortable in saying that if he can work on his draw ability that I would love to have him as a checking line center that is a strong 2nd line player in all facets of the game. His size may prevent the Thrashers from putting him up the middle on a full time basis, but I don't know where else he could be best utilized.

I wonder about his offensive zone awareness, but his hands are pretty strong and his skating is really good. Again, the numbers are a bit misleading there.

5. donkshow

donkshow Registered User

Seguin was also 2nd overall with ******ed hype all season long, being argued for the #1 pick.

6. FinlandPanther

FinlandPanther Registered User

well seguin was 2nd overall and burmistrov was 7th? but honestly whoever believes those things after 1 season is delusional, so dont put too much stock into it. they will both be excellent players.

7. MahomesIsGod

MahomesIsGod Better than your QB

Burmistrov wans't even expected to make the NHL, and was far from "disappointing".

His defensive game is extremely developed. He actually reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk a bit. He has phenomenal hands.

He has the skills and drive to become a #1 center that puts up 70-75 points and plays Selke caliber defensive hockey. The question is, can he put it all together? I think he will.

8. Finlandia WOAT

Finlandia WOAT Bench Constance Garnett

a watchmaker
    Burmistrov and Kane.

A match made in Hell.

9. Fulcrum

Fulcrum Guest

I'm not sure why you wonder about his Offensive zone awareness.. ? the guy was a true play maker pretty much all his life. He can pass and create scoring opportunities all night long. Perhaps not at the NHL level just yet! but his hockey IQ is very high for his age.

10. josra33

josra33 Registered User

Web Designer
    Burmistrov brings other things that you just can't teach. Someone brought up Datsyuk above and I kinda see a bit of Datsyuk in him. I remember one of his first 9 games, while failing to register a point, he was able to make moves that caused the other teams to take penalties without him diving 5 times. He caused 5 penalties. You cant teach that.

11. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love

corporate drone
    I think Burmistrov is going to end up being a 45-50 point player when all is said and done. I don't really like his offensive awareness and game. Slick skills, but he looks absolutely lost at times.

I am a bit disappointed with how he's developed since he was one of my favorite players, but I just don't know if his offensive game will ever catch up to his defensive one. If it did, he'd project as a first line center. I see him as more of a 2nd liner if his offense pans out, though.

12. jazznik

jazznik Thrashers forever

Burmistrov was great for the Thrashers this year and the kid is definitely going to be a good NHL player. He's just so smart with the puck, never gets rid of it untill he needs too, very similar to Enstrom in the way he circles around with the puck on his stick shaking of pressure from opposing players.

He showed flashes of greatness that show he could be a great 1st line NHL player but it's hard to say for sure with young guys. I'd be shocked if he didn't become at least a 50-60 point 2nd liner with a great defensive game. The Datsyuk comparison obviously holds, also saw a bit of Slava Kozlov in him. If he gets anywhere close to those two, Thrasher fans will be happy.

The reason his point totals don't look great is because he was playing on the 3rd and 4th lines all year, with hardly any PP time. His defensive game meant the coaches could put him out on a shutdown line and he'd contribute - you see how many points Crosby gets flipping the puck to Eric Boulton every game.

The kid's also got some jam to his game. He was never afraid to finish his checks or try to go for a big hit, they mostly failed due to his slight frame, but his fearless attitude really made him a fan favourite, he put bigger guys like Antropov and Stewart to shame.

13. Duke749

Duke749 Formerly "BigTuna49"

If you compare Burmi's numbers this year to E. Kane's numbers last year, they aren't bad. Kane got about a minute more ice time last year then what Burmi got this year. Kane played on the 3rd line almost all year last year while Burmi played on the 3rd/4th line this year.

His defensive game is developed very well. Just needs to work on faceoffs. He should probably find some new dekes to use because he uses the same one over and over and it rarely has any effect. In hindsight he should have went back to junior. You could see that his game was hurting a little bit later in the year, but he just never had very good linemates. He could also through the body pretty good...

I think idealy for Atlanta is he will eventually be the #1 center while Little will be the #2 guy.

14. Telfo

Telfo THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)

he has the upside to be a #1 center for sure.

He probably should have been sent back to juniors for the year but I dont think being in the NHL hurt him either. he was very solid defensively and is very creative offensively. He played 3rd and 4th line minutes most of the year otherwise his point totals would have been better.

he did kind of hit a wall sometime in January but that is to be expected with most young guys.

15. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    Like others said, he reminds me a lot of Datsyuk. Maybe not as offensively gifted but hes so good defensively at 18. Right now, at the least I see him as an elite shutdown center, with potential to be a first line 2-way player.

16. Jonas1235

Jonas1235 Registered User

Ryan Kesler?

17. It seems people are split on where he actually ends up.

The consensus is that he is a great shutdown potential. I would figure with those hands he should be a number 1... but I understand the size concerns.

What's his speed? above average?
    Shot?... below average?... Though Russians are often known to have laser beams for shots.
    Passing ability?

Where does he fit in Atlanta's lineup next year? 3rd line center?

18. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    Hes not as physical as Kesler. Though maybe.

19. Rhodes 81

Rhodes 81 grit those teeth

burmistrov should eventually be our #1 center. it's hard for a guy to break onto a team and play a ton of minutes when he's behind little, peverley, and antropov at center starting the season.

defensively he's one of the best rookies i've seen on our team pretty much ever. certainly better than kane was last year, and he was hailed as a defensive savior. burmi was one of our best pkers all year.

the fact is his offensive numbers aren't impressive because he was playing on the third line all year with assorted average depth players and an injured antropov. like little, he consistently made impressive plays only to have linemates or bad luck screw them up. when they didn't get screwed up he displayed incredible puck poise for a rookie, fantastic stick handling, and a very accurate shot. his speed is above average, but enhanced by his agility.

he'll project as a poor man's datsyuk and should replace little as our top center within two years. next year he'll probably play with kane and antro on the 2nd line.

20. Telfo

Telfo THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)

above average speed but he is more quick and shifty than fast.

average shot, accurate but not all that hard. hopefully that improves as he gets a bit bigger.

great passer

next year he will probably play on the 3rd line and eventually work into the 2nd line center role. It really depends what they do in the offseason. I think he will start to get some power play time next year.

21. ponder

ponder Registered User

Be honest here, is this really a thread about Burmistrov, or just a thinly veiled thread about Seguin?

22. Honestly, Burmistrov.

I have him in a SIM league and was looking over his stats, and curious where people felt he was this year and may end up in the future.

I don't watch too many Atlanta games, but I have seen highlites of his great hands and people rave about defensive capabilities. I really wanted to gauge where he may be in 5 years or so to better plan my team to be honest :laugh:

Also it's good to learn about potential highend players for my own personal knowledge. I like to learn about different prospects, and see who is coming up in the nhl.

Helps in fantasy pools, and I just love hockey and to learn about it, whether its tactics or different players.

After my initial post, I never really brought up Seguin, I had genuine interest in Burmistrov because you don't hear too many people talk about him, so wanted to read some discussion of those who seen him most, and can offer an opinion.

23. headsigh

headsigh leave at once!

Postal Service
    Home Page:
    I would be surprised if he didn't put around 60-70 pts as his average. He reminds me of a physical Datsyuk, maybe a better personality than Datsyuk, no offense to him. He flat out stated "I hate the KHL, it's for old guys", trained his butt off to make the team when everyone including the coaching staff had him written as too small, and isn't afraid to throw checks (which tend to fail because he's still young and tiny) and he's even dropped the gloves this year. Atlanta doesn't have that good of a track record with Russians so it's a breath of fresh air to get this kid after the Kovalchuk debacle (and to a lesser extent Slava Kozlov pretty much refusing to play for us as long as John Anderson was coach).

With his hands and his defensive skill he's gonna go a long way. It's not so much his offensive game that needs work- he was always the guy in the OHL that always showed up at the right time to make the play ala Brett Hull or someone (not comparing the two, just similar ways of scoring). When he builds muscle and gets used to NHL speed he's going to be a very scary opponent to line up against. Atlanta's prospect depth as center is flat-out scary- Burmistrov, Telegin (tearing up the OHL, big frame, Russian that plays the "Canadian" grind-it-out game), Patrice Cormier (rebounded from "almost-arrested goon" to "lock for the third line next year"), John Albert (NCAA prospect, going pro), Daultan Leveille (other 08 first rounder, not big on him but he's comparable to Todd Marchant) and the possibility of adding another center in the draft like Strome, Zibanejad or Catenacci, that might be one of the best in the league.

24. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:
    One of my favorites, Atlanta has a hell of a player. Every time I see him, he just reminds me of watching a young Datsyuk. I was amazed at how mature his game was at such a young age.

You could say that he projects as a 2nd line center, but I doubt he'll becomes that. He's got 1st line talent, with the hockey sense and skills to become an elite/dominating player.

It may not happen right away though, but hopefully Atlanta moves him along at the right pace and doesn't force him into a role he isn't ready for(and I know they didn't last year)

25. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:
    Neither player had a "disappointing" season IMO. Basically, both players would have greatly benefited from playing in the AHL but that couldn't happen. Both were also to good for the CHL.

You hear more about Seguin being a 'bust' because he(at some points before the draft) was touted as pushing Hall for the #1 pick. Difference is that Seguin was a little less developed than Hall, didn't have the ice time that Hall had, and his numbers reflected that.

Burmistrov on the other than was never touted as high as Seguin i.e. never talked about being a #1 pick.

Another reason is the market that Atlanta is in.