Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Looking forward to seeing what he does with the rest of the games he's given to end the season, and then next season...

If he does well, I suspect we'll have a (semi) Russian tandem in a few years. But either way, I'm happy right now. Even though I want to be losing and not missing the playoffs by 3-4 points AND not getting a great pick (which I really think is our fate, sadly) I'm still happy to see him doing well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Georgiev has been really good the last month and a half at both the AHL and NHL level. Obviously suggesting we should trade Shesty because of Georgie's emergence is stupid, but he has certainly improved a lot throughout the season and could be a good backup for next year

I think he could be a back up later next season. I want to see him put up a good AHL SV% before he's the Rangers back up goalie, so that likely means he starts in Hartford, and the team brings in a back up for next season.

Isn't Georgiyev the youngest goalie currently in the NHL? I realize we've had a lot of injuries and our goalie depth signed to pro contracts in NA isn't great, but if given the choice, I'd prefer to let him develop more in the AHL. I don't think we should be rushing prospects just to be a back up.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Worth pointing out that Mazanec, a guy with significant experience including games at the NHL level, had a .910 SV% down there. Hartford has been a wreck defensively all year. Hard to look at a goalie's save percentage on that team and draw any conclusions from it.
This. Just looking at raw sv% isn't a great way of evaluating talent even if you are just stat watching. It doesn't account for shot quality and if it's 5v5 or special teams.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think he could be a back up later next season. I want to see him put up a good AHL SV% before he's the Rangers back up goalie, so that likely means he starts in Hartford, and the team brings in a back up for next season.

Isn't Georgiyev the youngest goalie currently in the NHL? I realize we've had a lot of injuries and our goalie depth signed to pro contracts in NA isn't great, but if given the choice, I'd prefer to let him develop more in the AHL. I don't think we should be rushing prospects just to be a back up.

If the Rangers do sign a veteran backup the likelihood is Georgiev will be the No. 1 in Hartford next year and only an emergency callup and he'll play 50+ games or if they don't sign a veteran backup it's because they think Georgiev can do the job and they'll need to commit to him playing 25-30 games with the Rangers.

It's kind of a conundrum but if he's not with the Rangers we'll have to get another goalie--maybe Pavelec again and probably be starting Henrik at least 80% of the games if not more. You do have to play a 22 year old goalie though and if the team is within reach of the playoffs in the second half they will go with Henrik over and over again. So bringing Georgiev up half way through the year doesn't seem like much of a plan if you can't give him enough games and it also brings up the question of what to do with the other goalie.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If the Rangers do sign a veteran backup the likelihood is Georgiev will be the No. 1 in Hartford next year and only an emergency callup and he'll play 50+ games or if they don't sign a veteran backup it's because they think Georgiev can do the job and they'll need to commit to him playing 25-30 games with the Rangers.

It's kind of a conundrum but if he's not with the Rangers we'll have to get another goalie--maybe Pavelec again and probably be starting Henrik at least 80% of the games if not more. You do have to play a 22 year old goalie though and if the team is within reach of the playoffs in the second half they will go with Henrik over and over again. So bringing Georgiev up half way through the year doesn't seem like much of a plan if you can't give him enough games and it also brings up the question of what to do with the other goalie.

If not for the rebuild situation, I would've said the Rangers were likely to bring in a veteran backup to play with the main club. But right now I'd say it is at least 50/50 that they will give Georgiev a chance to take this job next season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If not for the rebuild situation, I would've said the Rangers were likely to bring in a veteran backup to play with the main club. But right now I'd say it is at least 50/50 that they will give Georgiev a chance to take this job next season.

Mazanec is an RFA, so he'll be back next year. Maybe he gets the backup job.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Mazanec is an RFA, so he'll be back next year. Maybe he gets the backup job.
Probably both G and M will get a shot and there should be another goalie signing.

BTW, any talks of Huska turning pro next year?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It's hard to say---the Rangers could go a couple ways. If they go with Georgiev as the backup they will have to commit to getting him games. That might mean going back and forth from Hartford and if they were to re-sign Mazanec maybe sharing the backup duties with him in NY--one's in NY for a while and then the other---keeping in mind that Mazanec doesn't have a lot of NHL experience either.

If AV is fired a new coach will have to decide how much he wants to play Henrik and that has the potential to turn into a thorny situation but one question is do the Rangers really want to use a contract on a UFA goalie like they did last year when they signed Pavelec when they know they have a guy (or maybe two) down in Hartford who could do the job just as well? That's the other way they could go though--to sign that UFA and then Georgiev gets lots of AHL playing time but little or no NHL time. IMO Georgiev's making a good case for himself in his late season audition that he can be the backup.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Not a fan of putting a 21 or 22 you goalie into a backup role unless for injury reason. Great for him to get a taste and show he is someone to look out for in the future but he needs to face pucks daily and play 50-60 games the next couple of seasons to develop. But he definitely has made a case for himself to be considered as a real prospect and ahead of guys like Huska and Wall, simply for turning pro and after a rough start he really turned things around in Hartford.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Isn't Georgiyev the youngest goalie currently in the NHL?

He's not the youngest to appear in a game this season, but he is the first goalie born in 1996 to win an NHL game.

He was undrafted. He got passed over 3 times in the draft. Looking back at his numbers in Finland during his draft years, he probably should have been taken, but everyone is drafting based on size now. He's 6'1. One of the smaller NHL goalies. Same as Hank. Same for Shesty.

This goes to show, unless you are taking a guy who is playing well beyond his years as a first time draft eligible player, there is no reason to use a high draft selection on a goalie. Sometimes it works out (Vasilevsky, Price), but most of the time you're taking a HUGE risk when you could be adding a player who will make an impact on a middle 6 line or 2nd/3rd pairing.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
When we do our prospect rankings, I think there might be a good chance he has worked his way into the top 12. With graduating players and even an influx of top picks and prospects, he's showing something at the NHL and AHL level that shouldn't be ignored.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Let's see how he does against better NHL teams. He seems like a type of guy we will need to maintain positional soundness to be successful. It remains to be seen if he can move side to side and what he can do on scrambles, if he has natural goalie instincts.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He looks like a good goalie. Maybe an NHL backup, maybe as good as Talbot, an average starter.

21 years old and sporting a .930 save % in his first 3 NHL games and he's looked at 114 shots--which averages out to 38 a game. And it's not like the defense he has in front of him is very good either. Skjei, Staal, Pionk, Gilmour, DeAngelo, O'Gara is a pretty raw group. 4 of them have spent the majority of this year in the AHL. IMO Georgiev's been outstanding and did I say he's only 21 years old? I think I did. Maybe he's got more in his future than just NHL backup?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Only 23 shots for the Rangers. Georgiev puts the team on his back tonight. Great job, great win for him.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
He should split the rest of the games with Hank. We need to see more to give him the backup job next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad