Value of: Alex Wennberg in the offseason

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I think Wennberg has probably run his course in Columbus. Being healthy-scratched in the playoffs with 4 years left at $4.9 million after this one.

He's scored 59 points in a season very recently but was limited to just 2 goals and 25 points this year. What's he worth, and to who?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If I had to put value on Him I would say a very late 1st(like 25+) or early second. Option 2 would be for another underachieving player.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Similar young player who needs a fresh start for Wennberg with potentially retained salary.

Who knows. Depending on what happens with our centers (Duchene walk, Dubinsky buy out?) we may need him next year. But yeah, it looks likely he's done here.

Reactions: Viqsi

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would offer Hawks 2020 2nd round pick for him if Jackets would retain a small % of salary (Maybe say enough for 400k a year off AAV)

Then put Wennberg as 3rd line C with Saad to try and allow Hawks to roll three consistent scoring lines

Toews + Kane
Strome + Debrincat
Wennberg + Saad

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If I had to put value on Him I would say a very late 1st(like 25+) or early second. Option 2 would be for another underachieving player.

A$5M benched player with significant term at best gets a 4th. You would have to eat salary coming back.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
A$5M benched player with significant term at best gets a 4th. You would have to eat salary coming back.
Columbus won't "eat" any salary. They can just buy him out. The cap hit would be $441,667 for 4 years and then $891,667 for another 4.
Wennberg is under 26 y.o., so the buyout amount would be 1/3 of the remaining contract value.

Reactions: Viqsi

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Columbus won't "eat" any salary. They can just buy him out. The cap hit would be $441,667 for 4 years and then $891,667 for another 4.
Wennberg is under 26 y.o., so the buyout amount would be 1/3 of the remaining contract value.

I know that Is an option but you don’t get anything for that.

You eat about $5.4M Over 8 yrs of dead space. You trade him with $1.9M retained making him only a $3M player to acquiring team you can get something of value fir him costing your team only about $2.5M more the next 4 years snd none after that.

Trading him st $4.9 gets you essentially nothing back unless you take a cap dump back. Trading him at high #2M or liepw $3M a team may bite and you get a 2nd ora prospect equivalent to a 2nd.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think Wennberg has probably run his course in Columbus. Being healthy-scratched in the playoffs with 4 years left at $4.9 million after this one.

He's scored 59 points in a season very recently but was limited to just 2 goals and 25 points this year. What's he worth, and to who?

I think devils should take a jab at him

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Col doesn't eat some of that contract. They will need to give an asset with Wennberg and take some salary back

If Col is willing to take Spooner and Schaller contact for a year. I would take Wennberg contract with a 3rd round pick. He will make good 3rd line center behind Petey and Horvat.

Canucks can't get go into next season with no offence from the 3rd line. I think Wennberg can bounce back with 35 to 40 points

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would offer Hawks 2020 2nd round pick for him if Jackets would retain a small % of salary (Maybe say enough for 400k a year off AAV)

Then put Wennberg as 3rd line C with Saad to try and allow Hawks to roll three consistent scoring lines

Toews + Kane
Strome + Debrincat
Wennberg + Saad
Maybe. It's worth some consideration. I'd honestly want to throw in another conditional pick from the Hawks depending on how many points he scores with Saad.

* * *​
I do not know what the utter **** has gotten into some Oil fans such that they think this is even remotely acceptable. We trade a useful but overpaid player who's young and can be bought out for less than league minimum for eight years, for a useless corpse who's overpaid even more and who who can't be bought out without having pretty much the same cap hit for four years and an even higher cap hit for four years beyond that. There is less than zero possible benefit to the Jackets in such a deal; it's as ludicrously offensively bad as if we tried to offer Wennberg for RNH straight up with a straight face. It's unbelievably terrible, and you (and everyone else agreeing) should feel bad for even suggesting it.

* * *​
AVs need a 2C.

Maybe a 2020-2nd. With no retention.
Also worth consideration.

* * *​
If Col doesn't eat some of that contract. They will need to give an asset with Wennberg and take some salary back

If Col is willing to take Spooner and Schaller contact for a year. I would take Wennberg contract with a 3rd round pick. He will make good 3rd line center behind Petey and Horvat.

Canucks can't get go into next season with no offence from the 3rd line. I think Wennberg can bounce back with 35 to 40 points
We can take back one-year contracts, but if we're doing that, we'd want something better than a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Maybe. It's worth some consideration. I'd honestly want to throw in another conditional pick from the Hawks depending on how many points he scores with Saad.

* * *​

I do not know what the utter **** has gotten into some Oil fans such that they think this is even remotely acceptable. We trade a useful but overpaid player who's young and can be bought out for less than league minimum for eight years, for a useless corpse who's overpaid even more and who who can't be bought out without having pretty much the same cap hit for four years and an even higher cap hit for four years beyond that. There is less than zero possible benefit to the Jackets in such a deal; it's as ludicrously offensively bad as if we tried to offer Wennberg for RNH straight up with a straight face. It's unbelievably terrible, and you (and everyone else agreeing) should feel bad for even suggesting it.

* * *​

Also worth consideration.

* * *​

We can take back one-year contracts, but if we're doing that, we'd want something better than a 3rd round pick.

CBJ + AVs Trade.

- History of trading with each other;
- $34M Cap space available next season;
- Contract Length. 4 years fits timeline;
- Ownership. Wealthy owner willing to spend;
- 2C or 3C need with size;
- Age. Still young fits with their rebuild;
- Fans. Discussion on team board is favourable;
- European.

A trade both teams can make work.

Reactions: mikeyp24

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
To me Wennberg is one of those guys who just can't work with Torts. He's a very good candidate for bouncing back in a different environment. It's not a Rask (another under performing Swedish C on a long term contract) type of situation where the guy just looks terrible and hopeless. It seems more chemistry and confidence related struggles here. For teams that have an opening in the 2C slot he's a fine target. Avs are one example.

Reactions: mikeyp24 and Viqsi

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Idk if it's Torts or...

He's had multiple concussions and he hasn't been quite the same since that hit. Any onceo of offensive aggression had disappeared.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I’d be surprised if you would get much of value, another 4 years at 4.9 is nothing to scoff at. If he doesn’t bounce back that’s a tough contract for most teams to have on the books. Probably looking at taking a similar contract/player back in return, and maybe a slight add just because you could sell the past glory’s and young speech to someone

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Wennberg probably has more value than most on HFBoards would give him credit for. His buyout is extremely favourable to a cap strapped team and the market would be much bigger than just those rebuilding. I wonder if the Jackets would have interest in Quick, if Bob bolts. The Kings could buyout Wennberg for next to nothing if he doesn’t work out.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I wonder if Ottawa would flip the Panthers 2nd round pick + another late pick for Wenneberg.
If Columbus wants to take back Boedker ($4m, 1 year) and Condon ($3m, 1 year, buried cap hit of $1.2m) something with Ottawa may work.

Some Ottawa fans may say Smith (2 x $3.25) rather than Boedker but in terms of a roster spot I think Smith is the more useful player at this point, and is probably tradable for an asset at the 2021 deadline.

The $22m remaining salary may scare Ottawa off - so maybe Columbus takes back MacArthur’s LTIR contract (the uninsured portion is is around $950k for 1 year) and/or accepts some conditional on that extra pick based on some element of Wennberg’s performance.

How about?

Florida 2nd 2019
MacArthur
Boedker
Condon
Ottawa 3rd 2021 (conditional on Wennberg being a member of the Senators past the 2021 trade deadline)

For

Wennberg

CLB adds $300k cap hit for 2019-20 only and saves $14m in total $$. Similar to savings from a buyout now, but they get the 2nd rounder and the possible 3rd as a result.

For Ottawa, buying out Wennberg after 1 extra year would mean having paid $10.7m for that one year - but they also will have dumped $8m of dead space .. so for me the $2.7m and the second round pick is an acceptable risk to take on this player.

Last edited:
Reactions: justafan22

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

A significant cap dump in return and a 7th.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As most said he is a candidate for a different team to get his full potential. His lack of drive and heart to trying and play for us isnt there. He wont shoot no matter who trys to get it through his head he just says he will play his game qhich is get wide open then make a neesless pass instead of taking the shot leading to a turnover. Put him between 2 wings who want to shoot at all times and you have that 60pt C. He is worth more then a 4th and cap dump that sone of you seem to think is a real thing. Its nice to know that GMs are much more intelligent then the EA sports NHL 19 trade proposals here with force trade on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad