Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in negotiations to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves for $1.5 billion

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
According to the article, deal is contingent on keeping T-Wolves in Minny. That clause will certainly have an expiration date but NBA is also eyeing an expansion in the near future with a rumored $2.5B fee per team which Silver described as "lower end".

The Twin Cities are a mid-sized market of 3.6 million people. If the team is selling for $1.5 billion I very much doubt Silver would be able to squeeze $2.5 billion per team on the lower end from anyone in potential markets that are marginally larger (Seattle) or smaller (Vancouver, Las Vegas, San Diego).

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Doesn't really seem like a big deal. Where are they gonna go? NBA seems deadset on giving Vegas and Minnesota, an expansion team.
I assume you meant Seattle however in the very unlikely event of T-wolves moving to Seattle or Vegas. Minnesota probably gets 1 of the 2 expansion slots at a discount with the outgoing owners paying a very inflated relocation fee or a large part of the expansion fee for a new team in Minneapolis along with the normal relocation fee.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I assume you meant Seattle however in the very unlikely event of T-wolves moving to Seattle or Vegas. Minnesota probably gets 1 of the 2 expansion slots at a discount with the outgoing owners paying a very inflated relocation fee or a large part of the expansion fee for a new team in Minneapolis along with the normal relocation fee.
1.Oops. Yes I meant Seattle.

2. Whats the point of that.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If the NBA allows the team to move, I think they would want a new building or major renovations before they go back.

The earliest the team could move assuming Orach is correct is 2023 (plus 50 million). The arena will be 33 years old by then and though 6 years removed from their last major renovation.

Curious to see the league or Taylor's response to this if it's right.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
They recently completed a significant renovation ....something like $150 million and their lease runs until 2035 or thereabouts? They are not moving anywhere in the medium-long term.

The NBA can extract more from Seattle for an expansion fee than from Minneapolis (if the team relocated to Seattle).
Correct. Twin Cities is not Memphis or New Orleans. Its a healthy market with sizable amount of corporations ready to buy suites.

Also, funny thing about Timberwolves. They can't even cry about arena being old because 1. it was recently renovated and 2. worst case there is...a relatively shiny one down the road, in the same market.

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Two things that get me about this sale:

1. A-Rod and co. don't really care about the Lynx, it seems. The previous owner was notorious for being garbage with handling the Wolves, but was a huge supporter of women's basketball, especially with how dominant the Lynx have been. I do not see the new ownership having a fraction of the same passion for the WNBA besides the obligatory "we care about the women folk" speech every couple of months by uninterested parties.
2. The Wolves are SO relocating. They renovated their arena and yet they're still whining about it being out of date. If that's not a warning sign they're interested elsewhere, I don't know what is.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Two things that get me about this sale:

1. A-Rod and co. don't really care about the Lynx, it seems. The previous owner was notorious for being garbage with handling the Wolves, but was a huge supporter of women's basketball, especially with how dominant the Lynx have been. I do not see the new ownership having a fraction of the same passion for the WNBA besides the obligatory "we care about the women folk" speech every couple of months by uninterested parties.
2. The Wolves are SO relocating. They renovated their arena and yet they're still whining about it being out of date. If that's not a warning sign they're interested elsewhere, I don't know what is.
If they think Target Center is outdated, there is a relatively new one down the road. That trick is not gonna work here.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't know if they are relocating or not, I personally don't want them too but I'll ask this. What is the incentive to go to a Wolves game or even watch one on TV? 1 playoff appearance post-KG (and none before him so not a 'historical' franchise), horrible ownership, gave Andrew Wiggins that ridiculously bad contract, and traded out a decent set of uniforms for this garbage

Nike-NBA-Minnesota-Timberwolves--32-Karl-Anthony-Towns-Jersey-2017-18-New-Season-Wine-White-Jersey.jpg

What the hell is this? A church-league jersey or an NBA uniform? Looks more like a church-league jersey to me.

Also, the Twin Cities has options for sporting entertainment, this isn't like what Sacramento was facing in 2013 where the Kings are the only thing in town. Hell even the WNBA team is better than the Wolves have ever been. So if the franchise is lousy, the ownership sucks and pissed off KG and the fans/community, the uniforms are shit, and the team competes in a stacked Western Conference w/ little hope of even making an 8th seed, and there's the NHL/NFL/MLB/MLS/WNBA/U of Minnesota to support, then what is the point of the average Joe pouring money into the Wolves?

Reactions: GindyDraws

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
A-Rod was at dinner with AquaMan at Elisa Steak his ultra fancy steak house

Seahawks do massive business with Canadians coming down for games

He could have the same mindset with Vancouver’s Asian population who would be driving down a to For home games

• Haha
Reactions: Voight and MMC

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A-Rod was at dinner with AquaMan at Elisa Steak his ultra fancy steak house

Seahawks do massive business with Canadians coming down for games

He could have the same mindset with Vancouver’s Asian population who would be driving down a to For home games

NBA is likely to expand to Seattle before A Road has a chance to move the T Wolves. or if he says he wants to do that, I could see Silver working the phones to prevent that from happening with his reason being he has expansion plans for there.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

Purchase window expired.
I'm thinking there is something more to this. This is a major league sports transaction not fairy tale with a clock striking midnight.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad