Alex Ovechkin hits 700 career NHL goals!

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Good point.

Though I think OV still lost more games than Gretzky and Hull? But no one has probably been more affected than Jagr. His career spanned them all.
Gretzky missed 900 because of the lockout, but we're probably just talking a dozen or so goals. Hull probably missed another 20 goals, but would have still been passed by Jagr.

Jagr got hurt by the '95 lockout, the '04-05 lost season, and 3 years in Russia. Assuming he stays healthy all through there, he probably gets 20 more goals in a full '94-95, about 40 goals in a full '04-05 and then figure 25 goals on average for the 3 years he was in Russia. Just the 2 full lockout seasons gets him over 800 and past Howe. Throw in the KHL years, and he's right on the verge of passing Gretzky presuming that years played in the NHL and not Russia don't then cause him to not play the last few years he said he wouldn't have played if he hadn't jumped for the KHL.

(It also means he ends up over 2000 GP, which would be incredibly remarkable but I don't think he plays that many games either - which throws all of the what would be get to assumptions in question.)

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Brett Hull scored 155 in 408 games from his age 35 season till retirement at his age 40 season.

In his age 33 and 34 seasons he scored 27 in 66 and 32 in 60, respectively.

Compare that to ovy who scored 49 and 51 in those years and 50+this year.

A very good chance ovi scores 900+goals

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
To those who say that Ovy would score 100+ goals in the 80s... did you see his last goal? Do you think Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson, or Scott Stevens would let him stand in front of the net like that? He'd be on his ass in the matter of seconds.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
To those who say that Ovy would score 100+ goals in the 80s... did you see his last goal? Do you think Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson, or Scott Stevens would let him stand in front of the net like that? He'd be on his ass in the matter of seconds.

They would bounce off him.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtrower

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
Brett Hull scored 155 in 408 games from his age 35 season till retirement at his age 40 season.

In his age 33 and 34 seasons he scored 27 in 66 and 32 in 60, respectively.

Compare that to ovy who scored 49 and 51 in those years and 50+this year.

A very good chance ovi scores 900+goals

There are certainly examples to support it. Selänne scored way over 200 goals after age 35. It's mostly about his motivation to push to age 40 and maybe a bit beyond.

Reactions: Firsov99

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Ovi has 18 goals and 1 assist in his last 19 games lol.

If he keeps that scoring form for the rest of the season with 18 goals in the last 19 games he will get 61 goals. Would be amazing if he could get a 60 goal season again. He would also pass Esposito with 17 more goals. Right now he is on pace for 13 more goals that would put him 7th all time with 714 goals passing Mike Gartner who has 708.

He has a chance of being 3rd in goals all time after next season. A 53 goal season after 56 goals this year if he keeps his pace would put him at 767 goals. The season after he will likely challenge Howe for 2nd. It will be interesting to see how long Ovi can keep being around a 50 goalscorer.

If he keeps up being a 50 goalscorer for 2 more years after this and then puts up 40 the next two. He will have 180 in those 4 seasons add 13 for this year if he keeps his pace. That puts him at 894. The fun part is if Ovi plays all games this season and the next 4 he will have 1487 games. That is the same amount of games and goals Gretzky has. So if Ovi keeps his current goalscoring level for a couple of year before a small decline the next two he has a chance to beat Gretzky's goal record in fewer games played.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I agree. Whenever I watch McDavid come in on the rush and cut across the crease I think, man in a different time the D would just come across and knock him into next week. He wouldn't last a full season.

Granted Ovechkin is built a little differently.

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland

That was some very sloppy defense by Winnipeg. That said, there were plenty of sloppy Defensive plays also in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's. And Ovie is 236 lbs 107 kg, vs Potvin 205 lb (93 kg) Larry Robinson 225 lb (102 kg) Stevens 220 lb (100 kg). What I am trying to say is I don't think it would be that easy for those guys either. Ovie is not your average athlete.

Reactions: Khomutov

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
at this rate he's got to have 4 more kids to surpass Gretzky.

Age 33: 1 kid
Age 35: 2 kids
Age 37: 3 kids
Age 39: 4 kids
Age 41: 5 kids
Age 43: 6 kids

hard to say, he might slow down in his 40s, but I think he could do it.

i heard the rumour that he is not happy that his son is a left handed shot... he will continue to produce kids until one of his sons will be a right handed shot.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The only guy that would have a chance to move Ovechkin would be Stevens and Ovi has floored bigger men routinely, you think he stays healthy by not seeing guys coming? C'mon man.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
The only guy that would have a chance to move Ovechkin would be Stevens and Ovi has floored bigger men routinely, you think he stays healthy by not seeing guys coming? C'mon man.

Yep. How many of those Dmen were used to having to look over their shoulder for a bigger man hunting them?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Brett Hull routinely scored goals like that by camping out in a spot on the ice and waiting for space to open up, then ripping off a shot into the net before anyone knew what the hell had happened. Everyone knew he was going to do it, no one could stop him because he got that shot off so damn fast.

Goal scorers know how to score goals. No one gets to 700 by having 550 or so supposed goals that would never happen in some other period of time.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Brett Hull routinely scored goals like that by camping out in a spot on the ice and waiting for space to open up, then ripping off a shot into the net before anyone knew what the hell had happened. Everyone knew he was going to do it, no one could stop him because he got that shot off so damn fast.

Goal scorers know how to score goals. No one gets to 700 by having 550 or so supposed goals that would never happen in some other period of time.
Majority of Ovy's and Hull's goals: yes. But this one was scored from the slot. This is Esposito's and Cicarelli's specialty. I'm not saying that Ovy wouldn't score his 700 goals in the 80s. I'm saying he wouldn't have scored a 1000, like many people here suggest.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Majority of Ovy's and Hull's goals: yes. But this one was scored from the slot. This is Esposito's and Cicarelli's specialty.
Guys who would have scored from the slot regardless of a Potvin, Robinson or Stevens:
  • 6'1", 205 lb. Phil Esposito
  • 5'10", 185 lb. Dino Ciccarelli
Guys who would have had the shit beaten out of them by Potvin, Robinson or Stevens for trying it:
  • 6'3", 235 lb. Alexander Ovechkin

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Guys who would have scored from the slot regardless of a Potvin, Robinson or Stevens:
  • 6'1", 205 lb. Phil Esposito
  • 5'10", 185 lb. Dino Ciccarelli
Guys who would have had the shit beaten out of them by Potvin, Robinson or Stevens for trying it:
  • 6'3", 235 lb. Alexander Ovechkin
Reading comprehension 101.

I'm not saying that Ovy wouldn't score his 700 goals in the 80s. I'm saying he wouldn't have scored a 1000, like many people here suggest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad