Alex Ovechkin hits 700 career NHL goals!

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
It's more frustrating that he's losing out on the Rocket race. He's obviously gonna hit 700 eventually during his career but not so sure he's gonna win another Rocket if he doesn't do it this season.

Also I agree with the other poster that mentioned his low point totals. I can ignore them when they're at least above ppg, but below ppg is just not worthy of an elite talent like him. And again, I can't really understand why he has such low totals because he's obviously a good player that is able to create plays and put the puck in the net.

He's probably a bit of a victim of his scoring abilty. When he's on the ice he gets fed the puck and he must shoot and the system is just not laid out for him to accumulate big assist totals. It seems to be a bit of a rotten situation sometimes.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's more frustrating that he's losing out on the Rocket race. He's obviously gonna hit 700 eventually during his career but not so sure he's gonna win another Rocket if he doesn't do it this season.

Also I agree with the other poster that mentioned his low point totals. I can ignore them when they're at least above ppg, but below ppg is just not worthy of an elite talent like him. And again, I can't really understand why he has such low totals because he's obviously a good player that is able to create plays and put the puck in the net.

He's probably a bit of a victim of his scoring abilty. When he's on the ice he gets fed the puck and he must shoot and the system is just not laid out for him to accumulate big assist totals. It seems to be a bit of a rotten situation sometimes.

OV doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a premier playmaker. He is more of an instinctual player that relies on his incredible skillset.

That he could get a high assist amount in a different system doesn't happen. More assists sure, but at a huge cost to his goal totals.

Reactions: edog37

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
But there are several players through history with more than 3 cups? In that case he would be behind them for sure, or take Roy with his 3 Smythe's what is the reasoning for ranking Crosby above him in that case? Zetterberg or perhaps Claude Lemieux(because we are talking a wider gap between Crosby and some others in discussion for 5th of all time) above McDavid? Well you can have your opinion, even if it stinks, ill stick to mine.

Considering I have no horse in the race while you are a Pens fan we all know who is more biased.

Those guys weren’t the captains of their teams. They didn’t lead their team to those titles, they were on them. Goalies are rated differently anyway & are apples to oranges. They aren’t compared to forwards or defensemen because their positions are vastly different. They are rated separately.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Weird how the narrative for Crosby has done a 180 of late. It used to be about harts and ross trophies now its about 200 foot game and team accomplishments. The things pen fans mocked for years.

That’s a fallacy. It’s always been about Crosby being a complete player & leading his team to championships. I could care less about Hart or Art Ross Trophies. So does Sid. He only cares about the Cup, which is the true metric. Since 1980, there have been only five player captains who have lead their team to at least three Stanley Cups. Potvin, Gretzky, Yzerman, Toews, & Crosby.

Reactions: Pengwins

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Those guys weren’t the captains of their teams. They didn’t lead their team to those titles, they were on them.

I've been super impressed by Crosby's ability to captain his team to a .714 winning percentage despite not even being at those games. But that's what great leaders do - they get full credit for things most rational people would agree they had nothing to do with.

Crosby drafting Malkin is also a key metric that separates Crosby from the pack. I mean, did Ovie draft Malkin? Or Toews? No. Because they are clearly inferior captains. Although to Toews's credit, unlike Ovie, he had the foresight and leadership to be born in Canada.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
OV doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a premier playmaker. /

That's just plain false. He has very high playmaking IQ but he is playing his goalscoring role.

Clutch playmaking like here

and

here

show his high iq as a playmaker.

He is playing on a team that is not well coached in terms of refining players talents. For example he plays with Kuznetsov, who should be the best playmaker in the league because he invented the twister pass and was burning teams constantly with it. Now he's too scared to even attempt it anymore.

If Ovi was on a different team and asked to be the playmaker, he'd be good at it for sure.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That’s a fallacy. It’s always been about Crosby being a complete player & leading his team to championships. I could care less about Hart or Art Ross Trophies. So does Sid. He only cares about the Cup, which is the true metric. Since 1980, there have been only five player captains who have lead their team to at least three Stanley Cups. Potvin, Gretzky, Yzerman, Toews, & Crosby.

Since 1980, how many other teams in the league (aside from those five - Isles, Oilers, Wings, Hawks, Pens) even HAVE three Cups?

New Jersey, and I'm pretty sure that's it.

Hard enough to win 1 Cup in this league, even with a decent management group and a lot of things going right for your club.

Very hard for any team to win three Cups - and the fact that Pittsburgh is the most recent to do so is a feather in Crosby's cap I suppose, but the accolade shouldn't be his alone.

Sure he "led" them there by virtue of the C on his jersey, same as those other players listed, but in the end it's still a team award.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I remember pretty vividly a couple of Capitals fans arguing my point that premiere playmakers like Gretzky, Mario and McDavid etc. would have way more goals if they didn’t worry about setting up their teammates first. And the resounding argument from them being that they scored as many goals as they possibly could.

But now the argument is that if Ovechkin wanted to be a playmaker he easily could switch gears? But in their initial argument isn’t he already capped at his playmaking ability? He can’t get anymore assists because he’s getting all that he can now? I’m confused.

Imagine how many goals Mario and Gretzky would have if for every assist, they fired the pucks on net themselves. Imagine the goal total if they shot coming up on 5,500 times in their career.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
On pace for 80.5 points this season, the Great 8 will not hit 90 points for 10 straight seasons despite playing almost every game. GOAT goal scorer, but it's ridiculous that the last time he hit 90 was when he was young.

Let's be real here, Crosby would get roasted if he put up a 65 point season in his prime. The fact that Ovechkin routinely gets stuff like this looked past, speaks to how lower in regard he's held even by his fans.

u are to busy counting ovechkins pace while forgetting its still enough to outproduce crosby !

thats a big part why he does not get roasted... also scoring 50 goals each season helps out a lot.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Ok 6. Still not a lot of people
Still not really making a point about this either, since 3 is a subjective number only picked to specifically advantage arguments for Crosby while diminishing Messier et. al., but we've come to not expect anything less or truly honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad