Alex Ovechkin hits 700 career NHL goals!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Everything has to go according to plan to break Gretzky’s record, it’s possible but will be tough to do. OV has to keep up elite scoring levels for 4 more years, production can’t fall off a cliff in a couple years. Has to avoid injuries & lockouts, can’t retire early etc.
He's going to have Carlson and Backstrom the rest of his career. Washington should be a competitive team until he retires.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm sad that I didn't believe in his ability to challenge Gretzky's record sooner. Though I think it will be tough still, Ovie is the first player that I believe has a decent chance to do it.

I have always thought his goal against Arizona is the GOAT goal, however. So I'll give myself credit for that. :DD

And he will be the LAST player who has a decent chance to do it, believe that.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I'm sad that I didn't believe in his ability to challenge Gretzky's record sooner. Though I think it will be tough still, Ovie is the first player that I believe has a decent chance to do it.

I have always thought his goal against Arizona is the GOAT goal, however. So I'll give myself credit for that. :DD

To be fair, Wayne's first 8 years positively dwarf Ovi's first 8 years just like they dwarf anyone and everyone else's first 8 years. Its been through sheer force of consistency and durability that Ovi even has a chance to catch up. Ovi's post age 30 goal scoring could dwarf Gretzky's post age 30 goal totals, and that would have been hard for anyone to predict back when Ovi first broke in.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
If I were Ovie I'd get as many goals as I possibly can regardless of fatigue going into the playoffs. He's got his Cup. He'll always be a beast in the PO's anyways.

I'd get as many goals this season and next and set yourself up to not have to have a few 40 goal seasons to beat #99. Get 60 and then 50 and then (I don't feel like doing the math) like 32, 30, 30, 28, 25. That's close enough I'm sure to even 900.

That would be 913. And includes him falling off a cliff. When in reality he’s (somehow) inclining right now.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If I were Ovie I'd get as many goals as I possibly can regardless of fatigue going into the playoffs. He's got his Cup. He'll always be a beast in the PO's anyways.

I'd get as many goals this season and next and set yourself up to not have to have a few 40 goal seasons to beat #99. Get 60 and then 50 and then (I don't feel like doing the math) like 32, 30, 30, 28, 25. That's close enough I'm sure to even 900.
Despite HFBoards narratives he’s never struggled in the post season with fatigue so I’m not even worried. In fact I liken OV to a basketball or baseball player in a heater, once he gets going he is hot for a while. He’s really not all that streaky of a player

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Despite HFBoards narratives he’s never struggled in the post season with fatigue so I’m not even worried. In fact I liken OV to a basketball or baseball player in a heater, once he gets going he is hot for a while. He’s really not all that streaky of a player

The neat thing about OV is where he gets the bulk of his goals from. As long as his shot is still there I can see him putting up good seasons for quite a while, he will pass Gretzky(which is actually good for the sport) and become the top goal scorer in NHL history. Imagine the pride the folks in Russia would feel?

Reactions: Lurch

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Brother and I snagged tickets last week to the Caps/Islanders game on this coming Monday trying to project out when he’d hit 700. He texted me w/ around 10 minutes left in the 3rd last night that it looked like we were out of luck and he’d get it on the road trip following that game. One 6-minute, game-winning hat trick later and now we’re worried he hits it against the Flyers on Saturday. :laugh:

Last edited:

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Why? It's easier to score in the nhl now than it was when ovy started.

Can't speak for that guy, but here's why I don't think anyone else is going to be coming close to 900 goals... probably ever:

# of 50+ goal seasons in the 15 seasons since Ovie entered the league (2005-2006 to 2019-2020):

1. Alex Ovechkin, 8
2. Dany Heatley, 2
3. Ilya Kovalchuk, 2
4. Steven Stamkos, 2
5. Jonathan Cheechoo, 1
6. Sidney Crosby, 1
7. Leon Draisaitl, 1
8. Jarome Iginla, 1
9. Jaromir Jagr, 1
10. Vincent Lecavalier, 1
11. Evgeni Malkin, 1
12. Corey Perry, 1
Total 50+ goal seasons: 22

This isn't just "best in the league", it's 4x more than the next closest. He has more than #2-5 combined. His level of dominance, in goal scoring, is literally unheard of. I sincerely doubt we ever see it again, which is what we need for someone to even have a chance of 900 in the future.

For reference, here are the # of 50+ goal seasons in the 15 seasons from 1975-1976 to 1989-1990:

1. Wayne Gretzky, 9
2. Mike Bossy, 9
3. Marcel Dionne, 6
4. Guy Lafleur, 5
5. Michel Goulet, 4
6. Tim Kerr, 4
7. Jari Kurri, 4
8. Mario Lemieux, 3
9. Rick Vaive, 3
10. Steve Yzerman, 3
11-22. 11 players, 2
23-48. 26 players, 1
Total 50+ goal seasons: 98

Last edited:

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
Can't speak for that guy, but here's why I don't think anyone else is going to be coming close to 900 goals... probably ever:

# of 50+ goal seasons in the 15 seasons since Ovie entered the league (2005-2006 to 2019-2020):

1. Alex Ovechkin, 8
2. Dany Heatley, 2
3. Ilya Kovalchuk, 2
4. Steven Stamkos, 2
5. Jonathan Cheechoo, 1
6. Sidney Crosby, 1
7. Leon Draisaitl, 1
8. Jarome Iginla, 1
9. Jaromir Jagr, 1
10. Vincent Lecavalier, 1
11. Evgeni Malkin, 1
12. Corey Perry, 1
Total 50+ goal seasons: 22

This isn't just "best in the league", it's 4x more than the next closest. He has more than #2-5 combined. His level of dominance, in goal scoring, is literally unheard of. I sincerely doubt we ever see it again, which is what we need for someone to even have a chance of 900 in the future.

For reference, here are the # of 50+ goal seasons in the 15 seasons from 1975-1976 to 1989-1990:

1. Wayne Gretzky, 9
2. Mike Bossy, 9
3. Marcel Dionne, 6
4. Guy Lafleur, 5
5. Michel Goulet, 4
6. Tim Kerr, 4
7. Jari Kurri, 4
8. Mario Lemieux, 3
9. Rick Vaive, 3
10. Steve Yzerman, 3
11-22. 11 players, 2
Total 50+ goal seasons:
23-48. 26 players, 1
Total 50+ goal seasons: 98

this post does a great job of putting Ovie's level achievement in context. he is simply peerless.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
In 2007-8, his 65 goal season, he scored 4 goals in a game twice that season. He had one hatty too.

In 2013-14, he scored 4 in a game once.

Let's see it again!

Reactions: Tofveve

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
To be fair, Wayne's first 8 years positively dwarf Ovi's first 8 years just like they dwarf anyone and everyone else's first 8 years. Its been through sheer force of consistency and durability that Ovi even has a chance to catch up. Ovi's post age 30 goal scoring could dwarf Gretzky's post age 30 goal totals, and that would have been hard for anyone to predict back when Ovi first broke in.

Gretzky essentially fell off a cliff goal scoring after age 31 or so. That is what generally happens, but Ovi is just a freak of nature. Gretzky back injury didn't help matters, but facts are he fell off before the injury. Still probably would have added 50-70 goals to Gretzky if not for the injury though.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
And he did it in the dead puck era. Or for most parts of it. One of the greatest goal scorers in history without reservations.

The dead puck era ended with the 04-05 lockout, so he never played in that league. He would have still dominated I'm sure though.

This isn't just "best in the league", it's 4x more than the next closest. He has more than #2-5 combined. His level of dominance, in goal scoring, is literally unheard of.

Thanks for posting those statistics, it really illustrates how dominant he has been. It's been amazing getting to watch him these past 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->