Alex Nylander vs Tage Thompson

TT or Nylander?

• Total voters

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Thompson easily. A 6-6 winger with high end shot and hands is rare. His upside is franchise winger, Nylanders is more second line winger.

I doubt you’ll find many wingers with Thompson’s size who were good at a really young age.
Thompsons upside a franchise winger?
Maybe if you take the best parts of both of them you can get something
barely resembling.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Thompson clearly has skill, but as far as hockey IQ, play in the neutral zone and defensively, he’s very behind. I think he would benefit from playing in Rochester and learning a better sound game, learn how to use his size better ect.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Thompsons upside a franchise winger?
Maybe if you take the best parts of both of them you can get something
barely resembling.

Yes that is his upside IMO. I don’t think the odds are amazing, but I think his upside is essentially limitless. He could become a Corey Perry or Blake Wheeler hybrid.

I safely project him as a second line winger with first line winger potential.

Reactions: KeepKane

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Neither will be impact players in the top 6 so who cares. This is like the Bailey/Baptiste threads - spending years debating who’s better between two guys who will never really make a difference anyway.

Reactions: Fearnot

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Neither will be impact players in the top 6 so who cares. This is like the Bailey/Baptiste threads - spending years debating who’s better between two guys who will never really make a difference anyway.

Well, since all good teams need four good to very good lines to do damage in the regular season and beyond, I think a lot of fans care that both turn out to be good NHLer’s with long productive careers. Productive careers don’t mean only top six.

But it’s cool if you don’t care. :dunno:

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Wow that’s a bold statement considering Thompson has basically played more games than bailey/Baptiste combined lol.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wow that’s a bold statement considering Thompson has basically played more games than bailey/Baptiste combined lol.

That's because Botterill has to do everything he can to justify the trade. I'm sure Darcy would've been force-feeding them minutes if he stayed here a few years after he drafted them.

And besides, I wasn't trying to imply a direct comparison in terms of skill - TT/AL are mid-6 guys instead of bottom 6. But close enough.

If people want to randomly debate who's better between the two wingers, more power to ya. I'm just saying, it's a debate between two players who are close enough so that it doesn't matter who's technically "better" on any given day since they'll both be up and down and have relatively the same impact after they make the jump.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
We already know that Tage Thompson is a bad NHL player. We don't yet know about Nylander. Maybe they're both bad. At this point, that seems like the most likely outcome.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
That's because Botterill has to do everything he can to justify the trade. I'm sure Darcy would've been force-feeding them minutes if he stayed here a few years after he drafted them.

And besides, I wasn't trying to imply a direct comparison in terms of skill - TT/AL are mid-6 guys instead of bottom 6. But close enough.

If people want to randomly debate who's better between the two wingers, more power to ya. I'm just saying, it's a debate between two players who are close enough so that it doesn't matter who's technically "better" on any given day since they'll both be up and down and have relatively the same impact after they make the jump.

Terrible meme. If Botterill wants to justify the trade the best way is for the team to win. The trade of RoR wasn't painted as one where the Sabres got the better player, it was to be a net improvement to the team's performance.

I'll leave the evaluation of that to others, in its designated thread.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
they should both end up top 6 i think, unless something goes horribly wrong. they certainly have the talent.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Yes that is his upside IMO. I don’t think the odds are amazing, but I think his upside is essentially limitless. He could become a Corey Perry or Blake Wheeler hybrid.

I safely project him as a second line winger with first line winger potential.

This is like the perfect player... how in the world do you see TT becoming this? Solely because of his size?? Perry was able to score such big goals, from anywhere, right in the crease, far out. Able to play the game with RG at a slowed down pace. On the other hand, wheeler is like one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen, fast as the wind, unreal vision and plays a much faster game than Perry. But he’s going to become a hybrid of them?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
This is like the perfect player... how in the world do you see TT becoming this? Solely because of his size?? Perry was able to score such big goals, from anywhere, right in the crease, far out. Able to play the game with RG at a slowed down pace. On the other hand, wheeler is like one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen, fast as the wind, unreal vision and plays a much faster game than Perry. But he’s going to become a hybrid of them?
I can understand where the poster is coming from. Thompson has the tools, but it remains to be seen if he can develop the toolbox. If he does, the sky is the limit. He's had downright dominant games this year, and he's still pretty young.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I can understand where the poster is coming from. Thompson has the tools, but it remains to be seen if he can develop the toolbox. If he does, the sky is the limit. He's had downright dominant games this year, and he's still pretty young.

Yeah he has skill, but it’s definitley over shadowed by his inconsistencies. Like I said he should develop in the A. I get he hasn’t flashes of dominance but that’s a super high comparison. Half of the time he shoots he wires it well over the net into the glass. He’s got a WAYYYY to go to even sniff those comparisons

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Terrible meme. If Botterill wants to justify the trade the best way is for the team to win. The trade of RoR wasn't painted as one where the Sabres got the better player, it was to be a net improvement to the team's performance.

I'll leave the evaluation of that to others, in its designated thread.

I never said he was trying to prove TT is as good as ROR. The trade will largely be judged by how good TT ends up being, so the idea that he wouldn’t give preference to him over AN is ridiculous. He knows his boss and the fans will be upset if TT, Berglund, and Sobotka all turn out to be drags on the team, regardless of the record

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I never said he was trying to prove TT is as good as ROR. The trade will largely be judged by how good TT ends up being, so the idea that he wouldn’t give preference to him over AN is ridiculous. He knows his boss and the fans will be upset if TT, Berglund, and Sobotka all turn out to be drags on the team, regardless of the record

The measure isn't TT vs anyone. It's how well the team performs. It was sold as a culture thing. The measuring stick is wins/losses.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yeah he has skill, but it’s definitley over shadowed by his inconsistencies. Like I said he should develop in the A. I get he hasn’t flashes of dominance but that’s a super high comparison. Half of the time he shoots he wires it well over the net into the glass. He’s got a WAYYYY to go to even sniff those comparisons

False, Tage Thompson has attempted 137 shots this season. 75 have been on net.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It just made me laugh seeing the poster say "Half the Time", and you post statistics saying it's 45% of the time. Yeah, you're correct, but not by much.

The difference between 45% and 55% is huge in professional sports. It's almost as funny as the poster who lamented Tage Thompson missing the net half the time because he was compared to Corey Perry. Corey Perry is a lifetime 55% on net shooter.

NB: I don't feel shot conversion is a predictive statistic. Especially for forwards.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The difference between 45% and 55% is huge in professional sports. It's almost as funny as the poster who lamented Tage Thompson missing the net half the time because he was compared to Corey Perry. Corey Perry is a lifetime 55% on net shooter.

NB: I don't feel shot conversion is a predictive statistic. Especially for forwards.

It’s one thing I pointed out. There are absolutely zero parallels between the players.

Edit - maybe for the size exception.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

Also, I don’t really like looking at statistics. If you watch the games, it’s plain as day quite frankly. But I’ll throw you some stats.

Corey Perry first full season- 12:28 ATOI 82-17-27-44
Blake Wheeler rookie year - 13:41 ATOI 81-21-24-45
Tage Thompson first full season - 12:42ATOI 41-6-4-10 (on pace for 12-8-20?Maybe??

Also Perry attempted 194 shots, and scored on 17 of them sooo...

Don’t get me wrong I think Thompson has Top 6 potential for sure but for that type of comparison when he’s done nothing ? When they aren’t even similar? Just because Thompson has had a couple nice little dekes that he hasn’t finished on?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->