Alex Nylander vs Tage Thompson

TT or Nylander?

• Total voters

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Two 2016 first rounders. According to a recent HF poll both would go in the late 1st in a 2016 re-draft.

You could say both were rushed - Nylander to the AHL and Thompson to the NHL.

Who are you higher on?

Follow-up questions: Who has the higher ceiling, and who has the better chance of reaching it?

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I think Nylander is the better prospect. Both rushed into their current situation. I figure in 2 years we will know just what we have in both players.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Nylander certainly has the higher ceiling to me. But, he'll never be a bottom 6 player in the NHL. He's a guy that will be top 6 or bust.

TT meanwhile will be an NHLer in some sort of way -- his cannon will keep him around, and I think he'll grow a defensive game.

I'd take Nylander if forced to choose and pray he hits his ceiling.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Can I trade both for a more sure thing or at least a prospect I'm more sure of lol?

I go Tage because I have zero confidence in Nylander until he gives me reason to.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Nylander certainly has the higher ceiling to me. But, he'll never be a bottom 6 player in the NHL. He's a guy that will be top 6 or bust.

TT meanwhile will be an NHLer in some sort of way -- his cannon will keep him around, and I think he'll grow a defensive game.

That's a very outdated mindset.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY

I like the idea of a top 9, where line 1, 2, and 3 are all scoring lines but in order of talent, skill and abilities. (Hecht-Briere-Pominville: line 1, X-Drury-Grier: line 2, Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov: line 3)

I think Nylander can play on a Vanek-Roy- type of line.

Girgensons and Larsson form an excellent 4th shutdown line that can be used in all situations with potentially more ice-time than the 3rd to shutdown opponents. With the talent that the Sabres have, (although young and inexperienced) I see no reason why we have to fall back to the "top 6 or bust" theory. Why not 3 scoring lines? Vegas mastered this and they went to the finals.

In 2019, there's no more Peters-Mair-Kaleta lines anymore. Just a thought.

*Also,
I think Nylander is the type of player that'll have better numbers in the NHL than much of his AHL stats because he’ll be playing with actual talent and not AHL scrubs who can’t hit the net. (I say that lovingly) I think Nylander is similar to his brother in that if you put him on a scoring line (hypothetical Vanek-Roy-Nylander situation) He can produce complementarily. I think in that situation and based on seeing him play I can imagine a 15-35 rookie season. 50 point pace in the NHL. For a 20 year old on a team devoid of NHL caliber wingers, I’ll take it. We need to see more games with Nylander. I don’t want to burn his ELC though and I don’t think he’s quite ready. I could be wrong, I haven’t seen him play in awhile but that’s why I’m not the GM! I’d like to see 9 games at some point, and if he fits, he stays. Smith has earned a spot before him though of right now.

**Regarding ceiling, I don't think there's really any way to know. Thompson has shown flashes of brilliance and is at least playing in the NHL. Nylander has more pure potential I'd say, but I'd need to see him on the same team as Thompson to really make a discernment. I'd say of now, I'd rather have Thompson in the NHL- but long-term, I can see Nylander edging him but it likely wouldn't be by a significantly different margin if they both reach their potential.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Nylander has the edge in offensive creativity and speed

Thompson has the edge in shot, size, and his puck stripping skills.

It’s basically even, and will come down to what skills people perceive as more valuable. I went with Nylander.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That's a very outdated mindset.
What part is outdated?

I agree i think Nylander in enough of a finesse player that if he can't translate his game to the NHL then he probably won't make it in the league - a la Mark Mancari.

It's hard to make the assessment because I have seen Tage play in the NHL and there are flashes of the great player he could become. I have only watched two games with Nylander and that's not enough to really speculate.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It's close, but I prefer Thompson's skillset and need to improve areas, as I think they're easier faults to overcome.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Went with Thompson...Hoping he can be a puck possession type of guy who can also be a sniper and use his physical body to stand in front of and around the net...I think 25+ goals per year would be nice as a second or third liner, and possibly fill in on the top line..These are my highest expectations..Of course he could fizzle out and not be in the NHL after this year too.

I haven't seen much of Nylander so I am basing this on reports, and the reports on him have not been good.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I go with the assesment from preseason were Nylander was clearly the better player and Thompson was gifted a spot and kept up despite his abysmal play.
He came around a bit and is better now but still inconsistent.
Unless Nylander comes up to the big club its hard to see what he can deliver with his current development status.
I dont know as many why Botterill hasnt tried either him or Oloffsson to see what they can deliver before aquiring help that might help us get into the playoffs.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I don’t see the “Nylander has a higher ceiling” at all. Both “coach’s son” types, offensive ability through the roof, have/had trouble engaging in other portions of the game.

Both seemed to struggle with the transition to a higher league. In other words, the two of them had problems growing their game when they were no longer consistently the best, most talented, player on the ice most nights.

Although before the season I would have said that Nylander was the better prospect. I definitely see them more as equal prospects with marginally different skill sets. In a re draft Nylander probably goes towards the teens vs a top 10 pick, and is viewed as “low risk high reward” type in that range.

If either of them figure “it” out it’s certainly plausable they are a 60pt + winger. They have the talent.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
In threads like these I'm reminded just how much my opinion of Nylander is :D

I don't see him as a high risk prospect at all.

I also think we need to talk about the mistake of not having him in the NHL to start the season. In previous years it was understandable, this year? Inexcusable. Garbage time games at the end of the season do very little for prospects, getting an idea about where you need to be and what you need to work on over the season is something that can help a lot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just hope that one of them can turn into a decent top 6 winger.

I'm over this "pick this guy or that guy" stuff. They are both Sabres/Amerks, so there is really no need to start more of this junk, IMO.

Hear, hear.

I'd love it if both of them turn out and hit their ceilings. That'd solve so many future depth scoring issues.

Reactions: Jim Bob

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Thompson easily. A 6-6 winger with high end shot and hands is rare. His upside is franchise winger, Nylanders is more second line winger.

I doubt you’ll find many wingers with Thompson’s size who were good at a really young age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad