Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Thompson got eaten alive too and he still is more bad than good.
They could have rotated players earlier not stick to the ones they started the season with.

Not defending Thompson, but the only real difference is Thompson's big frame can hold up against NHL contact, so at least he won't get physically battered. I don't recall any problem with Thompson's effort level either. Main point though, I don't see much use in getting PO'd about which AHL/NHL tweener gets more time this season, when ultimately neither is going to make a difference for the Sabres right now.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Thompson plays hard when he has the oppurtunity to shoot the puck or when the puck is on his stick. He doesnt go hard to the boards or step into his checks...he seems to stop or let up at contact. I think his lack of effort and quickness is what keeps him from being a top 6 player...imagine him with Evan Rodrigues’ drive and motor. I think Nylander on the other hand is a gifted skater who has a fear of contact and avoids the dirty areas ....so he sticks to the perimeter and soft zones where it is safe. But in doing this... it makes him appear lazy and slow to react. I think it is to avoid the contact.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The best FW, on the whole team? He's not a complete FW, has to work on his game, and he would get eaten up in the NHL right now just so you can feel he was treated fairly by big bad Botts. I thought we were past the time when Buffalo rushed players up that weren't ready.
Again with your speculation. You can speculate all you want but it doesn't mean you are right. Its a joke when you post stuff like this because it is just speculation and unless you have a crystal ball its nonsense.

Who is big bad Botts? Is that how you see him? As a bad person?

If we were past the point of rushing prospects who had 2 years already in the AHL then perhaps you should call out your big bad Botts who rushed Tage and Mitts. Are we past or not?

Perhaps you were an NHL player to know whether or not Nylander would get eaten up even though he played a few games last year and fit in. Like I said. Nonsense.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Again with your speculation. You can speculate all you want but it doesn't mean you are right. Its a joke when you post stuff like this because it is just speculation and unless you have a crystal ball its nonsense.

Who is big bad Botts? Is that how you see him? Or just trying to flame? Smh.

My "speculation" is that Nylander is currently mediocre in the AHL, backed up by very pedestrian numbers and no special defensive game or leadership or anything else that is intangible to make up for his stats. He gives no reason to think he'd be any better in a tougher environment.

Your speculation is that he should be on the Sabres and would be making a difference right now, despite the above facts.

No you're crystal ball is spot on...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Don’t worry, look at Thompson’s AHL numbers, not very good but he’s playing in the NHL now.:sarcasm:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yeah but Thompson earned his spot.

Earned it by getting traded for by the current GM but still. Earned.
It would be fun to write ”the Buffalo Sabres rulebook” based on the actions of Housley/Botterill. They are sending such mixed signals as leaders.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Thompson outplayed Nylander in the pre-season. Easily.

Thompson's problem was trying to deke his way out of every situation, and irresponsible drop passes that NHL players won't let him get away with. He's gotten over that, while playing the bench half the time. And doing all that playing with Sobotka for most of it.

Nylander's problem is the engagement and physical aspect. Thompson actually gets the puck on his sticks during shifts because he's out there forechecking with that huge reach and creating messes. Nylander waits. And those players only 'work well' if somebody else on their line is doing all the digging for them. Hence the 'they'll look better in the NHL than the AHL' trope these kinds of players always get. But this is one of the parent club's major weaknesses, and calling up yet another passenger isn't going to fix it.

Nylander did not 'fix the one bad part of his game'. He still lacks engagement when off the puck.

Nylander had all his competition for call-ups traded away, and Smith has clearly outplayed Nylander and earned the first one. Botterill brought in Elie because he wanted neither of these players wallowing in a 4th line role and a healthy scratch half the season. I can hardly say that's a problem. Only problem I see in the club is Sobotka playing ahead of everyone, but that's everyone including Smith, etc.

We have been relatively blessed with little injuries this year. Especially compared to the last few. If we had two of our top-6 guys out, Nylander would be up in the big club no doubt. Botterill likes to slow cook and what's wrong with that exactly? Never was a problem for Guenztel during a cup winning year, but somehow it's a difference maker here?

Casey has the speed and engagement and plays a position sorely needed in the big club. He has progressed all season despite coming out of the gate fat and into December clearly gassed. But I'd be scared to think about this team without him this season. He has not been a defensive liability of any sort. Tage was already up in the NHL, right or wrong by STL, and the problems with his game were easily fixed with some press-boxing. He's more active of a forechecker than a majority of our team-- something Nylander isn't even in the AHL. And you think its just politics that has Tage ahead of Nylander? No, it's just your bias that can't see through players who have different playstyles and why they get treated differently.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Thompson outplayed Nylander in the pre-season. Easily.

Thompson's problem was trying to deke his way out of every situation, and irresponsible drop passes that NHL players won't let him get away with. He's gotten over that, while playing the bench half the time. And doing all that playing with Sobotka for most of it.

Nylander's problem is the engagement and physical aspect. Thompson actually gets the puck on his sticks during shifts because he's out there forechecking with that huge reach and creating messes. Nylander waits. And those players only 'work well' if somebody else on their line is doing all the digging for them. Hence the 'they'll look better in the NHL than the AHL' trope these kinds of players always get. But this is one of the parent club's major weaknesses, and calling up yet another passenger isn't going to fix it.

Nylander did not 'fix the one bad part of his game'. He still lacks engagement when off the puck.

Nylander had all his competition for call-ups traded away, and Smith has clearly outplayed Nylander and earned the first one. Botterill brought in Elie because he wanted neither of these players wallowing in a 4th line role and a healthy scratch half the season. I can hardly say that's a problem. Only problem I see in the club is Sobotka playing ahead of everyone, but that's everyone including Smith, etc.

We have been relatively blessed with little injuries this year. Especially compared to the last few. If we had two of our top-6 guys out, Nylander would be up in the big club no doubt. Botterill likes to slow cook and what's wrong with that exactly? Never was a problem for Guenztel during a cup winning year, but somehow it's a difference maker here?

Casey has the speed and engagement and plays a position sorely needed in the big club. He has progressed all season despite coming out of the gate fat and into December clearly gassed. But I'd be scared to think about this team without him this season. He has not been a defensive liability of any sort. Tage was already up in the NHL, right or wrong by STL, and the problems with his game were easily fixed with some press-boxing. He's more active of a forechecker than a majority of our team-- something Nylander isn't even in the AHL. And you think its just politics that has Tage ahead of Nylander? No, it's just your bias that can't see through players who have different playstyles and why they get treated differently.
I agree with much of what you've said here. The optics of politics for me wasn't Thompson over Nylander. I think that Thompson looked great in preseason. It was Mittelstadt over Nylander. I understand that it's a position of need, but Mittelstadt did NOT look ready in the preseason, and it has taken until basically now for him to look ready. Nylander is older and had a markedly better preseason. And again, if your line is, "hey, we think the best place for Mitts' development is playing NHL center, and the best place for Nylander to fix his engagement level is in the AHL," than that's a pretty good argument. But the line was, "guys who earn it in preseason will get a look," and w.r.t. Nylander vs Mittelstadt, that just did not happen. It's entirely possible that the problem here was messaging and not politics, but I think that's where the notion that Botts has a "preference for his guys" comes from.

Reactions: Samsonite23

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I agree with much of what you've said here. The optics of politics for me wasn't Thompson over Nylander. I think that Thompson looked great in preseason. It was Mittelstadt over Nylander. I understand that it's a position of need, but Mittelstadt did NOT look ready in the preseason, and it has taken until basically now for him to look ready. Nylander is older and had a markedly better preseason. And again, if your line is, "hey, we think the best place for Mitts' development is playing NHL center, and the best place for Nylander to fix his engagement level is in the AHL," than that's a pretty good argument. But the line was, "guys who earn it in preseason will get a look," and w.r.t. Nylander vs Mittelstadt, that just did not happen. It's entirely possible that the problem here was messaging and not politics, but I think that's where the notion that Botts has a "preference for his guys" comes from.
Definitely politics plays a role. If Murray was here Nylander would be a sabre right now. That being said Botts came out and said if Nylander played well he would make the team. He played well, he didn't make the team. He should have got 10 games or so to try to continue his moment and build his confidence. That being said we are where we are.

It would be nice if he performed better in the AHL but by no means he is a bust yet or won't make the sabres. I think he will be on the starting roster next year. Lets hope Nylander doesn't decide to party in the off season and decides to give Gary Roberts a call instead :)

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Nailed it.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Definitely politics plays a role. If Murray was here Nylander would be a sabre right now. That being said Botts came out and said if Nylander played well he would make the team. He played well, he didn't make the team. He should have got 10 games or so to try to continue his moment and build his confidence. That being said we are where we are.

It would be nice if he performed better in the AHL but by no means he is a bust yet or won't make the sabres. I think he will be on the starting roster next year. Lets hope Nylander doesn't decide to party in the off season and decides to give Gary Roberts a call instead :)
Because Murray wasn't going to go and supplant Nylander's ascension with Skinner and Sheary like Botterill did. Nylander got held back when those two were traded for scraps.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The pass was exquisite but he had a number of poor plays throughout the night. If they hadn't been head and shoulders above Syracuse it would have been more noticeable.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'm not sure comparing him to a club of incompetent, low-hockey-iq underachievers is meaningful praise

He's still got holes in his game and didn't look at all comfortable as players like Pilut did, whether or not they put up points

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
What does that have to do with anything?
I think it has to do with everything. On our current roster we are carrying a player so Bobblehead can save face who makes terrible plays religiously that management seems to tolerate for the single trick in his bag. Nylander has a better skill set and higher IQ, but is constantly bashed because his game isn’t complete. Really? He is a better skater that complements better players and everyone seems to think he should develop into Joe Sakic. I would rather have a higher upside player developing in the bigs than a bottom 6 ceiling guy, but you know AN makes poor plays sometimes.

Reactions: Weaves

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The fact there are bad players on the roster now doesn't necessitate adding another marginally better player because he's got a higher talent ceiling. His game would get picked apart in the NHL right now.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The fact there are bad players on the roster now doesn't necessitate adding another marginally better player because he's got a higher talent ceiling. His game would get picked apart in the NHL right now.
Yes, you do add better talent. Constantly. Without regard to which gm acquired them. It is how the best teams got there. Nylanders game would get no more picked apart than TT and we would have an NHL caliber skater in the lineup. If he busts he busts. But keeping a clown like TT up is an indictment of Bobblehead.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Alex Lafreniere is more talented than both of them put together but sticking him on the Sabres now would be an incredible blunder.

Tage being out of his element ought to serve as a warning against doing the same to someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad