Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Nylander outplayed them both in camp/preseason. Yet they both made the team over him. Can't talk about "earning" anything when that's the reality we're dealing with.
So he played better in 5 games with half a roster? I get being mad at botts saying "open roster spot up for grabs for who shows up". That's a bad way to approach meaningless games. Enforcers force fights in preseason to try and prove their worth as well. The fact is it's a few meaningless games and being an actual complete nhl player with real potential matters more than 5 games against another team's B-squad. Mitts has more talent in his left hand than nylander has in his whole body and that's why he made the team. Tage's shot in the right circumstances and a competent coach is more valuable than nylander coasting doing nothing and trying to bank in goals off others effort.

Reactions: davej0122

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So he played better in 5 games with half a roster? I get being mad at botts saying "open roster spot up for grabs for who shows up". That's a bad way to approach meaningless games. Enforcers force fights in preseason to try and prove their worth as well. The fact is it's a few meaningless games and being an actual complete nhl player with real potential matters more than 5 games against another team's B-squad. Mitts has more talent in his left hand than nylander has in his whole body and that's why he made the team. Tage's shot in the right circumstances and a competent coach is more valuable than nylander coasting doing nothing and trying to bank in goals off others effort.
So you want him to earn a spot even though you're saying it's impossible for him to earn the spot?

Reactions: Weaves

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
btw if Mittelstadt had Nylander's talent he wouldn't be on pace for 25 points with his engagement/effort level

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
I dispute that Nylander outplayed anybody to a significant extent, to make a difference in roster selection.
This is spot on. Did he out perform CJ Smith or Oloffson... No. And CJ Smith and Olofsson had better previous years in the AHL and SEL, showing real progress. Whereas Nylander had medicore years with stagnation in the AHL (albeit recognizing that the AHL was probably a bad development choice for him.)

Tage is an enigma, no one understands he is development track, but I think CJ & Olofsson earned that spot over Nylander or Tage.

Nylander's production in the AHL is justification that he is not ready for the NHL. He proved that to all of you, and yet those banging the drum are only doing so because of his draft pedigree. Before people say he is not playing with enough talent in roch, then why are others producing at or near PPG and nylander is .57?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The two aren't tied together. Developing draftees as a building plan is great, and I can have the opinion that a player isn't going to develop into an effective NHLer, which so far is backed up by Nylander's performance. Just because players fail during their developmental path doesn't mean it's a bad plan. I mean...we all know that the big trade plan busts out all the time too. Should there never be big trades??

It's the patience level that some have. They love that Buffalo has 3 1st round picks, but how long are they going to be willing to hold out for those picks to develop? Or, because those are later, does that afford 2-3 more years?

Nylander was going to be a high risk high reward pick. When we drafted him, I expected a longer curve of development because of his short junior career (should've been kept there longer IMO), but I expect him to finish as being a very solid player. I didn't give a crap where he was drafted. Once you're drafted as a Sabres player, you are now a prospect to me, and the readiness and the potential you have is based on what you have done, and not weighed by the selection#. To me, I look at Nylander and I see a hockey player with great potential that needs to be developed correctly. That's all that matters to me.

Of course he has that #8 selection and the fans' opinions of selecting a defenseman already painting him in a bad way. "we should've had McAvoy, We should've had Sergachev, We should've had...", that is what I constantly see, and the one person that is saddled with that is one guy who had no control over that selection.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This is spot on. Did he out perform CJ Smith or Oloffson... No. And CJ Smith and Olofsson had better previous years in the AHL and SEL, showing real progress. Whereas Nylander had medicore years with stagnation in the AHL (albeit recognizing that the AHL was probably a bad development choice for him.)

Tage is an enigma, no one understands he is development track, but I think CJ & Olofsson earned that spot over Nylander or Tage.

Nylander's production in the AHL is justification that he is not ready for the NHL. He proved that to all of you, and yet those banging the drum are only doing so because of his draft pedigree. Before people say he is not playing with enough talent in roch, then why are others producing at or near PPG and nylander is .57?
Please refer to my Rodrigues post above.

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Evan Rodrigues, age 22
72 GP, 9G, 21A in the AHL

Evan Rodrigues, age 23
48 GP, 9G, 21A in the AHL

Evan Rodrigues, age 24
48 GP, 7G, 18A in the NHL

And yes, Tage making the team instead of Alex was a mistake. The guy eliminated his one flaw in the preseason and didn't get rewarded, that stuff messes with a young player's head you can't convince me otherwise.

van Rodrigues, age 22
72 GP, 9G, 21A in the AHL = .416 PPG

Evan Rodrigues, age 23
48 GP, 9G, 21A in the AHL .625PPG

Evan Rodrigues, age 24
48 GP, 7G, 18A in the NHL = .52 PPG

Right? So he progressed, was rewarded with a spot on the club, and is still producing less the in the NHL than AHL????

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
van Rodrigues, age 22
72 GP, 9G, 21A in the AHL = .416 PPG

Evan Rodrigues, age 23
48 GP, 9G, 21A in the AHL .625PPG

Evan Rodrigues, age 24
48 GP, 7G, 18A in the NHL = .52 PPG

Right? So he progressed, was rewarded with a spot on the club, and is still producing less the in the NHL than AHL????
Yeah the guy who at 22 produced at the same level as Nylander at 18 turned out to be a pretty nice middle 6 guy at the NHL level. But Nylander is somehow a bust at 20. Illogical.

Reactions: Hasek

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Yeah the guy who at 22 produced at the same level as Nylander at 18 turned out to be a pretty nice middle 6 guy at the NHL level. But Nylander is somehow a bust at 20. Illogical.
Woah, Woah - never called him a bust... I compared him to Grig in that people were gifting him a spot on the club because of draft pedigree and nothing to do with production or development. And, Also in comparison in mismanagement of development.

I argue he should not be in the NHL, he has not earned it, he needs to develop into a producing player. I argue for other players on the big club; Oloffson and Smith.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Its very simple, the organization has promoted players before with less talent and meddling AHL statistics before - for multiple extended looks. Yet, with Nylander he has to "earn" a chance to play with the big club (which he already has by the way) - even though the team obviously needs and injection of youth and more importantly skill into the lineup.

He was drafted to ride shotgun to Eichel. Let him do that.

And no, please dont blurt out more AHL stats or his lack of effort. I want to see if he can play with the players he was drafted with, PERIOD.

It's just comical that so many Nylander critics on here complain about lack of skilled forwards in the lineup - yet make every effort to criticize our most talented forward not only the Sabres.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Woah, Woah - never called him a bust... I compared him to Grig in that people were gifting him a spot on the club because of draft pedigree and nothing to do with production or development. And, Also in comparison in mismanagement of development.

I argue he should not be in the NHL, he has not earned it, he needs to develop into a producing player. I argue for other players on the big club; Oloffson and Smith.
I think Mittelstadt is the better Grigorenko comparison.

And yeah, Smith should have been a fixture on the main roster for months. At this point Olofsson should be ready for a call-up too. If it was up to me Smith and Nylander would have made the team out of camp with Olofsson being the first call-up whenever deemed ready.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It's the patience level that some have. They love that Buffalo has 3 1st round picks, but how long are they going to be willing to hold out for those picks to develop? Or, because those are later, does that afford 2-3 more years?

Nylander was going to be a high risk high reward pick. When we drafted him, I expected a longer curve of development because of his short junior career (should've been kept there longer IMO), but I expect him to finish as being a very solid player. I didn't give a crap where he was drafted. Once you're drafted as a Sabres player, you are now a prospect to me, and the readiness and the potential you have is based on what you have done, and not weighed by the selection#. To me, I look at Nylander and I see a hockey player with great potential that needs to be developed correctly. That's all that matters to me.

Of course he has that #8 selection and the fans' opinions of selecting a defenseman already painting him in a bad way. "we should've had McAvoy, We should've had Sergachev, We should've had...", that is what I constantly see, and the one person that is saddled with that is one guy who had no control over that selection.

I have a lot of patience for draftees developing, except for the ones that I think were poor draft picks and won't become impact players at all.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Its very simple, the organization has promoted players before with less talent and meddling AHL statistics before - for multiple extended looks. Yet, with Nylander he has to "earn" a chance to play with the big club (which he already has by the way) - even though the team obviously needs and injection of youth and more importantly skill into the lineup.

He was drafted to ride shotgun to Eichel. Let him do that.

And no, please dont blurt out more AHL stats or his lack of effort. I want to see if he can play with the players he was drafted with, PERIOD.

It's just comical that so many Nylander critics on here complain about lack of skilled forwards in the lineup - yet make every effort to criticize our most talented forward not only the Sabres.

The AHL is such a massive step below the NHL. I don't buy the idea that he'll magically put it together by playing with Eichel.

Would I mind to see him called up just to try it? Not at all. But the most likely outcome is that he'd be invisible.

I also thought Nylander earned a spot based on his pre-season play but considering his AHL numbers this year I doubt he would have stuck around for long.

Reactions: davej0122

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
In defense of Nylander I'll say this:

Martin Necas is seen as a very good prospect and he has 28 points in 40 games. He's 20 years old - same as Nylander. Nylander has 24 in 42.

So if Necas turns out then we might have hope for Alex lol

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think Mittelstadt is the better Grigorenko comparison.

And yeah, Smith should have been a fixture on the main roster for months. At this point Olofsson should be ready for a call-up too. If it was up to me Smith and Nylander would have made the team out of camp with Olofsson being the first call-up whenever deemed ready.

You keep swaying away from the Nylander point and deferring to Mitts or Grigorenko which I don't get. As I pointed out Yes I agree Mitts and Grigs were rushed but it's because they were CENTERS and we were starved for potentially top 6 centers on both occasions. This fact has nothing to do with no Nylander is/was being treated as a one trick pony winger. You're not wrong about Mitts or Grigs but it's not an argument for this topic....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Only on hf boards he is a bust. He could have played in the chl and put up 100 pt seasons....

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Only on hf boards he is a bust. He could have played in the chl and put up 100 pt seasons....

Only 4-5 posters here truly believe he’s a bust. 4-5 more don’t like him because ... um like draft position/expectations and stuff. Many I think are more frustrated with the scouting staff/GM he was picked instead of 1 or 2 other guys. But I think the majority are still patient to see how he continues to develop since he’s 20 and seems to making progress. Slow progress.

Reactions: Mitts888

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You can dispute all you want but you would be wrong. Botts also came out at preseason and said Nylander would get a chance to make the team. He was the best forward and got sent down.

The best FW, on the whole team? He's not a complete FW, has to work on his game, and he would get eaten up in the NHL right now just so you can feel he was treated fairly by big bad Botts. I thought we were past the time when Buffalo rushed players up that weren't ready.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The best FW, on the whole team? He's not a complete FW, has to work on his game, and he would get eaten up in the NHL right now just so you can feel he was treated fairly by big bad Botts. I thought we were past the time when Buffalo rushed players up that weren't ready.
Thompson got eaten alive too and he still is more bad than good.
They could have rotated players earlier not stick to the ones they started the season with.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Only 4-5 posters here truly believe he’s a bust. 4-5 more don’t like him because ... um like draft position/expectations and stuff. Many I think are more frustrated with the scouting staff/GM he was picked instead of 1 or 2 other guys. But I think the majority are still patient to see how he continues to develop since he’s 20 and seems to making progress. Slow progress.
What progress? if his slump continues he might have even less pts then last year. plus has he shown anything this year? Bailey stood out more when i went to Amerks games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad