Alex Meruelo the new owner of the Arizona Coyotes

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
But were talking about a Latin American man from the West Coast who has never had any ties whatsoever to sports ownership outside of the one attempt at the Hawks.

Which would seem to indicate interest in owning a big sports team, yes?

If it were about owning a hockey team there were the Hurricanes that were for sale

Incorrect. see above

or he could have theoretically been brought in as a minority investor in the Golden Knights.

Really? As you say, man worth north of $2B, already tried to buy a team in a bigger league, and he's gonna settle for being a minority investor? I don't even think you believe that.

I'm sure if I spent 5 minutes researching I could find other sports franchises he could have bought outright or part of.

You should. Let us know what ya come up with. Maybe ask two of your buddies to help; at least one of them loves research.

Hell the MLS is going crazy for expansion so he could have tried that. That would have certainly made a lot more sense as if it were about the ego and bragging about owning a sports team

Phoenix Rising FC getting into MLS via expansion isn't a sure bet at all. Coyotes are already in the NHL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hell the MLS is going crazy for expansion so he could have tried that.

Well, that opens a whole different Pandora's Box of discussion that's probably suited to the new subforum. MLS in Arizona would be a slam dunk of "Hamilton in the NHL" proportions. But there are so many political issues with that league and how they determine where franchises go that it's been one trip-and-fall after another. That said, I don't think Phoenix Rising FC, the team that would logically be promoted to MLS if the league finally decided to expand to Arizona, is interested in selling out to a new majority investor, and it's been pointed out before that Meruelo didn't want to become a minority investor anywhere.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm sure if you didn't have a rather obvious prejudice against the franchise...

Just because you obviously loathe the Coyotes ....

I read his post a couple of times and didn't see any obvious prejudice or any loathing.

Are you sure you're not projecting just a little? Perhaps you need to read his post again.

Reactions: Llama19

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Why do people want Arizona to fail?

For people who base their identity or self-worth on the consumption of a product, anyone new or different who comes in and consumes it is a threat to that identity and self-worth. There's a need to keep the product exclusive to them and keep other people away from it. See gamergate or comicsgate for a similar situation.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I'm not concerned with this question from a high-level philosophical view, as it gets into the idiotic neo-religious undertones in hockey fandom that I frankly could do without.

The "loathing" and "prejudice" I mentioned is less a matter of "Does the market even deserve a team?" and more "Why the hell would anyone ever have any interest at all in the manure-on-skates Coyotes?" Quite apart from the standard traditionalist rhetoric, there is another segment who couldn't care less about market entitlement, but who still believe the Coyotes deserve to disappear because they are an irredeemable business case. That's who I'm addressing, because the former group can't be reasoned with.

The latter group apparently can't figure out why Alex Meruelo might consider the Arizona Coyotes, if not a viable investment, then at least an intriguing one that has future possibilities. Their rationale is that the Coyotes franchise is a bottomless sinkhole where money goes to die, and that for this reason nobody in their right mind would come within a thousand miles of it.

Now, in their defense, nobody in their right mind has come within a thousand miles of it... until this year. Calling any of the previous franchise owners since the team arrived in Arizona "good businessmen" would be an egregious overstatement. But there's no way to objectively say that Alex Meruelo is either a chump or a starry-eyed dreamer. He's got a solid portfolio and his modus operandi in business fits the Coyotes' circumstances. Pair that with the reality that he got the team for a song, and the whys and wherefores become less puzzling to objective observers.

Still, that's not going to stop the doomsayers. It's been too many years of this thing being an absolute circus for anyone to write it all off in a single stroke of Meruelo's pen. I get that. But between Meruelo's financial position and Ahron Cohen's leadership in the day-to-day operations, the present-day Coyotes bear very little resemblance to the goat rodeo that the team has been for the past decade and a half. So I figure that anyone still clanging the alarm bell of abject, unavoidable, catastrophic failure is doing so extremely subjectively.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
not after the league lied to glendale so many times.

I for sure don't see another deal with any other Phoenix city so long as the proposal retains any of the IceArizona language. I'm hopeful Meruelo will offer a much better deal in any arena pitch - if he's not negotiating with the tribes, that is.

Reactions: GuelphStormer

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Calling the Coyotes the "worst organization in the league" and saying it was "one of, if not the worst, franchise in the history of sports" doesn't qualify to you?

No, not when taken in the CONTEXT of his longer post and his posting history. He says things like "you might have a point" and accepts others' opinions. When someone throws out labels like "obvious prejudice" and "obvious loathing", I merely pointed out that neither label seems obvious to me when I read his entire post.

Of course, if you're looking for something, then I suppose it becomes more obvious to you than other people.

While I have been visiting and reading this group for a very long time, under a sequence of names as each iteration destroyed some accounts, my first several years here was originally for work. My law firm asked me to monitor the Baum bankruptcy and subsequent events and I was a daily visitor to all the Maricopa filings and rulings. Back then, the tone and tenor of the discussion was quite different. There was a small group of predators, largely Canadian, who wanted the Coyotes to die a thousand horrible deaths, largely because they felt Quebec deserved a team or hockey didn't belong in the desert. There was a small group of fanboys, many of them in Arizona, who quite rightly felt attacked and developed a deep paranoia for anyone who criticized their team. But for the most part, the overwhelming majority of folks on here discussed the BUSINESS of hockey and it was an interesting background to what I was researching.

With the departure of many of the old-timers, like Casual Fan and Killion, et. al., the discussion group seems to have abandoned its business focus and has become more of a defensive fan group, rather like a circle of muskox, that seems to focus simply on attacking anyone who disagrees with them. That's just my opinion, of course, and since I'm now retired to can have that for free.

I think the comments of Llama and his like are mostly nostalgia for the Golden Age when this megathread focussed on the business of hockey.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No, not when taken in the CONTEXT of his longer post and his posting history. He says things like "you might have a point" and accepts others' opinions. When someone throws out labels like "obvious prejudice" and "obvious loathing", I merely pointed out that neither label seems obvious to me when I read his entire post.

Of course, if you're looking for something, then I suppose it becomes more obvious to you than other people.

While I have been visiting and reading this group for a very long time, under a sequence of names as each iteration destroyed some accounts, my first several years here was originally for work. My law firm asked me to monitor the Baum bankruptcy and subsequent events and I was a daily visitor to all the Maricopa filings and rulings. Back then, the tone and tenor of the discussion was quite different. There was a small group of predators, largely Canadian, who wanted the Coyotes to die a thousand horrible deaths, largely because they felt Quebec deserved a team or hockey didn't belong in the desert. There was a small group of fanboys, many of them in Arizona, who quite rightly felt attacked and developed a deep paranoia for anyone who criticized their team. But for the most part, the overwhelming majority of folks on here discussed the BUSINESS of hockey and it was an interesting background to what I was researching.

With the departure of many of the old-timers, like Casual Fan and Killion, et. al., the discussion group seems to have abandoned its business focus and has become more of a defensive fan group, rather like a circle of muskox, that seems to focus simply on attacking anyone who disagrees with them. That's just my opinion, of course, and since I'm now retired to can have that for free.

I think the comments of Llama and his like are mostly nostalgia for the Golden Age when this megathread focussed on the business of hockey.

I’ve been around a while too.... long enough to know who the players are without a program and that includes a couple who put on a good “business face” here while trolling Coyotes fans and the franchise every waking moment everywhere else.

That said... I can barely count the number of people who were serious in carrying on a business discussion with both hands. The rest were more interested in using the Coyotes as a punching bag for whatever reason.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

MNNumbers, for example, and the mods like M4B, come across as scholarly and neutral still. Moose, you decidedly have not. So it's no surprise you'd have the opinions you do such as that above, to which you are of course entitled.

I've been saying for years, if you want to have scholarly debate on here, do it, and if I was too late on arrival in 2012 to see that, too bad for me... but don't allow the clear agendas disguised as 'free speech'.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Well, if you've been around as long as you say, then you should know that I'm not a "defensive fanboy," and that I've spent almost all of my time on this board trying to be objective and provide a local perspective on things without descending into knee-jerk responses. I've been here 13 years, and only twice have I been censured outright by the moderators (back in 2009, when the Winnipeg folks launched their full-court press against the market).

I'm as interested in the business case around here as anyone else. When CasualFan and BarneyG and OthmarAmmann were here, that's what the discussion mostly was. But there are always tangents, and they aren't started by "fanboys" coming in here to derail the conversation. It's nearly always someone taking some business news and boomeranging it into disparaging the market. If you do a topic search, you'll find several posts from me pleading for the discussion to get back onto business topics rather than pressing some ridiculous culture war.

But you can't have a legitimate Coyotes business thread without any input from Coyotes fans. We are local, we live here, and in many cases we have input based on personal experience with some of the actors. I, for example, have worked with Mayor Weiers' office on several projects unrelated to the team; I've also dabbled some in the local youth and college hockey programs. So I have some perspective on the business case that I feel is valuable to the discussion, and with a couple of exceptions I think folks around here appreciate it.

I think that's heavily revisionist, because over the years I've been here there's been a single underlying premise to Llama's contributions to the megathreads, and that is that the Coyotes are doomed to fail. It is the reverse of the scientific method, in that he takes his thesis and considers it proven, then works backward through evidence to bolster that conclusion. All sorts of other posters around here have come in with personal opinions and prejudices but have kept the discussion limited to business, and those posters are the ones with whom I enjoy the discourse. I don't begrudge people's opinions unless they prejudice their objectivity in the discussion.

I'm not perfectly objective in every opinion I proffer, but I try to admit that when I can, and if I'm proven wrong on an opinion I will politely eat crow. And that's all I want from other posters here. Above all, I just want to talk business, not fandom, not entitlement, not tradition and lack thereof. If that's what you're looking for from this forum, then we'll get along fine.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm not perfectly objective in every opinion I proffer, but I try to admit that when I can, and if I'm proven wrong on an opinion I will politely eat crow.

I'm curious to know how someone can prove to your satisfaction when you are wrong, but please don't trouble yourself to answer. I'm off to Europe tomorrow for 4 weeks and I doubt that I'll bother peeking in here to see what's bubbling. And when I'm back, training camps will have opened and we'll have much more interesting things to read and talk about!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm curious to know how someone can prove to your satisfaction when you are wrong, but please don't trouble yourself to answer. I'm off to Europe tomorrow for 4 weeks and I doubt that I'll bother peeking in here to see what's bubbling. And when I'm back, training camps will have opened and we'll have much more interesting things to read and talk about!

I'll bite.

Documents from a legitimate source would be a good start. Or direct quotes from actual named partes and not "NHL sources tell me", or "a source close to the (insert favorite noun here) say", or "my paper napkin calculations say".... etc..... etc.

Most of the megathread was driven by the latter.

When you get back from your trip (and safe travels!!).... scan back though the megathread from say..... three years ago to within the last few months. I think you'll find there's been very little business news, but you'll find many threads filled with recycled discussion from years back. You also find the same handful of people generating it all.

Several times the thread would nearly fall off the front page of the forum for lack of anything, only to be bumped back to the top by the same individual using some obscure posting from social media as an excuse to keep it alive.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
So, it's been a while since I have been on here. Yotes went into bankruptcy. NHL bought them cause nobody else wanted them. NHL got tons of money from Glendale. NHL sold franchise. Ownership after NHL sold went through how many - 2 or 3 controlling owners? Glendale broke the lease, and now arena managed by AEG?

Now billionaire bought the team? Staying in Glendale? Haven't drawn over 14k a game since 2007-2008 season? Haven't finished higher than 29th in attendance since the 2006-2007 season? All the talk of stable ownership would result in improvements in attendance never occurred?

I think I am caught up?

Reactions: Fairview

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So, it's been a while since I have been on here.

One year, six months and 11 days. ( Phoenix CXXXII: The Upside Down Franchise )

Yotes went into bankruptcy.

Yes.

NHL bought them cause nobody else wanted them.

No. Jim Balsllie wanted them. But NHL wanted to retain control of where their franchises were located.

NHL got tons of money from Glendale.

Depends...... $50 million (in $100 bills) comes to roughly 500kg or 1,102.31 pounds)

NHL sold franchise.

Yes.

Ownership after NHL sold went through how many - 2 or 3 controlling owners?

Two. George Gosbee and Andrew Barroway.

Glendale broke the lease, and now arena managed by AEG?

Glendale terminated the lease, and yes.

Now billionaire bought the team?

His name is Alex Meruelo.

Staying in Glendale?

For now.

Haven't drawn over 14k a game since 2007-2008 season?

So??

Haven't finished higher than 29th in attendance since the 2006-2007 season?

So??

All the talk of stable ownership would result in improvements in attendance never occurred?

Talk of stable ownership and having actual stable ownership are two different things.

I think I am caught up?

Since (given the answer to your first statement above) only one true business item should actually be new to you..... hardly. But thanks for playing.

Reactions: Northern Knights

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
So, it's been a while since I have been on here. Yotes went into bankruptcy. NHL bought them cause nobody else wanted them. NHL got tons of money from Glendale. NHL sold franchise. Ownership after NHL sold went through how many - 2 or 3 controlling owners? Glendale broke the lease, and now arena managed by AEG?

Now billionaire bought the team? Staying in Glendale? Haven't drawn over 14k a game since 2007-2008 season? Haven't finished higher than 29th in attendance since the 2006-2007 season? All the talk of stable ownership would result in improvements in attendance never occurred?

I think I am caught up?

Too bad that silver moose guy just left for Europe. I wonder if this drive by obviously intended to embed the thinly veiled swipe would have met with his approval?

Reactions: Northern Knights

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

As an outsider and this is strictly my opinion...I would say people do not want Arizona/Coyotes to fail per say, but they want the league to bite the dust. Since their arrival in the valley Coyotes have been on a relocation watch list. Everything surrounding the team's business side of things has been on shaky ground to say the least and Meruelo is the first real sunshine light to touch the team.

For a long time I've wished a team in my own city, and I've always known that relocation, despite being at minimal percentage, was our best chance, so Coyotes being the speculation topic #1, I used to follow the threads for a long time.

I've understood that my city will never get a team, and that my game or two per year, invested into nhl, isn't even a drop into an ocean.

Reactions: Slashers98

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm curious to know how someone can prove to your satisfaction when you are wrong, but please don't trouble yourself to answer.

In this specific case, just having the guy come back and say, "I don't loathe the Coyotes" would be plenty.

Have fun on your vacation, and maybe if you're lucky, by the time you get back I'll be gone!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
to be fair, those are just the two direct payments. there were also many operational / arena management subsidies over the years as well as the cost of the arena itself.

If we’re going to be fair..... Those direct payments included the management costs of the arena. That’s a set cost of no matter who uses the building. IIRC.... the NHL did submit a summary to where it spent what they received.

Or are people going to play the semantics game and claim that paying AEG is still subsiding the Coyotes??

Still doesn’t amount to “tons” of money...... unless of course it’s all in dollar bills. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad