Value of: Alex Lyon in the offseason

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I just realized this guy was on a 2 year not a 1, surprised he couldn't do better last summer but he's propelling a team into the playoffs for the second straight year and makes 900K next season. I'm not prepared to call him a bonafide starter or anything but he's pretty clearly at least a capable platoon guy that could be valuable to a lot of cap strapped contenders next year.

Cossa doing well in the minors so maybe they'll give him a crack with Husso, or resign Reimer or some other vet goalie in the 1.5-2 million range. What could Lyon fetch from a team like Edmonton, Toronto, or LA who might want to bolster their goaltending this summer but are limited on cap? Maybe even someone like Boston if/when they trade Ullmark

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Wish the Flyers would have kept Lyon, when he left Philly no one cared even though he showed promise at the AHL level.

Wasn’t until Lyon saved Florida’s season last year that folks started taking notice, and now he’s getting the bulk of the starts for a team in a wild card position.

Goaltenders take a long time to develop, Lyon is a good example of a goalie that took years to develop into a quality NHL goalie, same goes with Charlie Lindgren.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Maybe something around Lyon and Walman for Kaliyev and Roy?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I just realized this guy was on a 2 year not a 1, surprised he couldn't do better last summer but he's propelling a team into the playoffs for the second straight year and makes 900K next season. I'm not prepared to call him a bonafide starter or anything but he's pretty clearly at least a capable platoon guy that could be valuable to a lot of cap strapped contenders next year.

Cossa doing well in the minors so maybe they'll give him a crack with Husso, or resign Reimer or some other vet goalie in the 1.5-2 million range. What could Lyon fetch from a team like Edmonton, Toronto, or LA who might want to bolster their goaltending this summer but are limited on cap? Maybe even someone like Boston if/when they trade Ullmark
Lyon is Detroit’s #1 goaltender until further notice. He’s earned it. He’s won the job. Husso is likely on the move come summertime, and Reimer would likely be re-signed to another 1 year deal if he’d be interested.

Next year is Cossa’s first full year of playing an NHL type of schedule. He’ll likely make his NHL debut at some Point during next season, and see where things go after that. Lyon is a calendar year into playing like a #1 goalie now.

It’s a perfect position in many ways for Detroit. Cossa now looks like the real deal. No need to push him though, and by using Lyon’s contract next year, they’ll be able to spend a few million on another position.

The only thing that changes this, other than him completely tanking, is if Detroit ends up with a Markstrom or Gibson type. Yzerman has a history of not being content in net.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why would Detroit trade their best goalie for an at best 3rd round pick? Hudson has been brutal this year and hurt a lot.

Reactions: Sparty

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4