Alex killorn

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i would like to know some more about him aswell. i had never even heard about the guy until a couple of weeks ago, and now i see him ranked in the second round in allmost every ranking.

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
In case you missed it here is a link to my list of the top new england prospects:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=378120

The info I have on Killorn is:
(2) Alex Killorn - Deerfield Acad. (Looked awesome at the Beantown Classic - Stick skills need improving, but skating is there as is the frame and balance) (late 2 to 3)

Extra: Seems to have a great build, but I do not see a great scoring touch like Nick Bonino, but his skating is much better and he is more physical.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Was looking at your list and dont know what happen to him but michael biega should be at least top 2 round draft pick but i guess he dont have the consistency like you said but there too much talent there

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Michael was a HUGE disappointment this year and frustrated alot of people. Some scouts think he will turn it around next year at Harvard, while others think thats it for him and will never live up to his potential. I see him getting better after some time to adjust to the college game. He went from a possible 2nd rounder last year to a late pick.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In case you missed it here is a link to my list of the top new england prospects:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=378120

The info I have on Killorn is:
(2) Alex Killorn - Deerfield Acad. (Looked awesome at the Beantown Classic - Stick skills need improving, but skating is there as is the frame and balance) (late 2 to 3)

Extra: Seems to have a great build, but I do not see a great scoring touch like Nick Bonino, but his skating is much better and he is more physical.

I attended a Deerfield-Hotchkiss in February game and Killorn was easily the best player on the ice. Impressive size, can play physical but suprisingly has alot of offensive flair for a big guy.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
How big is he now? He was list at 6"0 161lbs by central scouting and was like 5"9 150 when drafted by shawinigan in 2005. So i guess he has really grow last 2years but how big is he now?

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
He is definitely around 6' and my guess would be back with Deerfield, but I will try to find out for sure. Also question for Habnot: in the game you saw, did he have any goals or just a lot of offensive chances? Cause the couple times I saw him play, he had a lot of scoring chances, but could seem to put the puck away.

Overall, a really good player and has plenty of time to develop by heading to Harvard in '08.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He is definitely around 6' and my guess would be back with Deerfield, but I will try to find out for sure. Also question for Habnot: in the game you saw, did he have any goals or just a lot of offensive chances? Cause the couple times I saw him play, he had a lot of scoring chances, but could seem to put the puck away.

Overall, a really good player and has plenty of time to develop by heading to Harvard in '08.

He was an offensive force throughout the game. Prep school hockey, compared to Midget AAA in Quebec for example, is much more physical with alot of stickwork. The game is played at a very high level of intensity. Killorn was the first line centre, played all the PP's, often had the puck. Without a doubt, he stood out.

I also think he is taller than 6'. He was one of the taller forwards on the ice. I'm thinking more 6'2".

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
Unless things have changed big time, I would never classify Killorn as a physical player. He's got tons of offensive skill and has shown to be a litlle grittier than in the past. I'm hearing he was not as much of an offensive threat as expected, but it was his first year and he was adjusting. He had problems competing against stronger competition.

I think he also wants to eventually end up at Harvard.

Having said all that...there is some interest from at least a couple of NHL teams.

Last edited:

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Unless things have changed big time, I would never classify Killorn as a physical player. He's got tons of offensive skill and has shown to be a litlle grittier than in the past. I'm hearing he was not as much of an offensive threat as expected, but it was his first year and he was adjusting. He had problems competing against stronger competition.

I think he also wants to eventually end up at Harvard.

Having said all that...there is some interest from at least a couple of NHL teams.

He is committed to Harvard for '08 (unless something drastic happens). Also in the games that I saw, he was really strong along the boards and tough in the corners. As I posted earlier, I am concerned that with the number of scoring chances he had, he did not score. Physical to me is someone who can go into the corners and come out with the puck and Alex has that ability. I am expecting a big year from him next year.
He was runner-up to Bonino for USHR.com Player of the Year (along with Austin Smith, Cam Atkinson, and Broc Little)

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
He is committed to Harvard for '08 (unless something drastic happens). Also in the games that I saw, he was really strong along the boards and tough in the corners. As I posted earlier, I am concerned that with the number of scoring chances he had, he did not score. Physical to me is someone who can go into the corners and come out with the puck and Alex has that ability. I am expecting a big year from him next year.
He was runner-up to Bonino for USHR.com Player of the Year (along with Austin Smith, Cam Atkinson, and Broc Little)

Yes that I agree with.

When I think physical, I'm thinking more of someone that lays out the body a little more often, mean-streak go thru a wall type player.

His scoring I'm sure will come, he has always had that knack.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I'm really interested in this prospect. Here is what little info I got on him. If you got any more, please feel free to add.

Last year, Killorn spent the season at Deerfield academy, playing in prep school ice hockey. He managed 55 points in 25 games. (I think) Pre draft, he was seen as a player with great vision, good speed, solid defensive play and some grittiness, but the major knock on him was lack of size and he needed to bulk up a lot. Last year, he worked a lot on that. He went from 5ft9 to 6ft1 and 159 pounds to 195. I haven't got to see him, I don't know if it affected his play, but if it didn't , that just takes out the major flaw of his game.

He is now playing in the NCAA for Harvard. His team looks kind of weak if I look at scoring alone. He has 5 points(1g, 4a) in 7 games, tied for leading scorer on his team as a freshman. I read in a HF article that his coach thought, before the start of the year, that he would be an important offensive force this year for them. So far it seems true.

He is probably still a long way from the NHL, but I see him as an intriguing prospect.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Since I've been able to see him play in the last few weeks, I'll try and give a bit of my personal observations. First off, he's a terrific skater and really moves well. He does lack strength and IMO that's one of his weaknesses right now. This is particularly evident in fighting for pucks against bigger opposing defenders. I really like his hands and I disagree with the poster who said that his stickwork is terrible. I thought it looked pretty good, but I also feel that he can still develop in that area.

Since Harvard (and the rest of the Ivies) play a limited scheduled, they haven't played as many games as teams like Michigan or Minnesota. So Alex's game time has been limited thus far. He seems to have acclimated to the collegiate game fairly well, but it is also evident that in some respects that he's still trying to do some things that he may be able to get away with at Deerfield that just isn't going to work in college hockey.

I've really enjoyed watching him so far. He's exciting to watch and I think it'll his offensive prowess will become more evident as Harvard's season progresses. You all have to understand that the Crimson haven't even played a full month of hockey yet.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Since I've been able to see him play in the last few weeks, I'll try and give a bit of my personal observations. First off, he's a terrific skater and really moves well. He does lack strength and IMO that's one of his weaknesses right now. This is particularly evident in fighting for pucks against bigger opposing defenders. I really like his hands and I disagree with the poster who said that his stickwork is terrible. I thought it looked pretty good, but I also feel that he can still develop in that area.

Since Harvard (and the rest of the Ivies) play a limited scheduled, they haven't played as many games as teams like Michigan or Minnesota. So Alex's game time has been limited thus far. He seems to have acclimated to the collegiate game fairly well, but it is also evident that in some respects that he's still trying to do some things that he may be able to get away with at Deerfield that just isn't going to work in college hockey.

I've really enjoyed watching him so far. He's exciting to watch and I think it'll his offensive prowess will become more evident as Harvard's season progresses. You all have to understand that the Crimson haven't even played a full month of hockey yet.

Thanks a lot! This is great info. First time I actually get a first hand report like this. I'm really glad. Whenever you feel like updating on him, go ahead, I'll be a constant reader ;)

I'm happy with his start of the season so far. Statistically it's very good and by looking at his strenght and weaknesses, strenght and decision making seem to be the 2 main weaknesses. Strenght can be worked on. He already did a lot and I assume he still works out hard and decision making will come as he becomes more comfortable in the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad