Value of: Alex Killorn

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Lightning will have yet again a busy summer in 2020, having to resign rising stars like Cirelli and Sergachev.
Killorn's NTC will become a M-NTC (16 teams trade list) this offseason. So he's likely to be moved, purely based on the fact that Gourde, Johnson and Palat will still have their NTC in place.

Killorn is currently having a career year. He's getting top six minutes, PP1 deployment consistently for the first time in his career and the scoresheet reflects it (13G-18A-31points in 34 games). After this season, Killorn will still have a 3 years contract at 4.45M AAV.
He excels on the PK.

What will his market value be this offseason?

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think GMs will know that they won’t have to pay much for Killorn if they look at the cap situation. However, they did do a good job with Miller in getting a first but I don’t know.
I think a team willing to give up a 2nd and a B+ prospect would be appealing to TB.

Reactions: Chainshot

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think GMs will know that they won’t have to pay much for Killorn if they look at the cap situation. However, they did do a good job with Miller in getting a first but I don’t know.
I think a team willing to give up a 2nd and a B+ prospect would be appealing to TB.

People thought the same this past off season and they still got a 1st for Miller.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It all depends on how many teams get involved. If it's one team, yeah they can low ball us. Not so much with 3 and 4 teams, because they'll have to outbid each other.

If Killorn puts up 60 points, and is on 3 years at 4.5m? He's getting a 1st. Probably with a plus.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Killorn has 3 years left at $4.45 mill. Miller had 4 years left at $5.25 mill when traded.
Killorn turned 30 in Sept, so will be 31 when next season begins. Miller turned 26 in 2019. So, a big difference in age.

I would say it's a buyer beware situation with Killorn. Prior to this season, his previous 6 seasons he's played pretty much the full 82 games with the exception of 1 season at 71 games. His point totals ranged between a low of 36 to a high of 47. This season, on a massive career pace with 31 in 34 games.

Factoring in age and prior history, I'd be weary of this being a career season. He'll get traded in the summer IMO. I don't think a team should view him as a guy who is likely to repeat the pace he is currently on. No prior history of anything close to this pace. He could drop to 1/3 PPG in the 2nd half of the season and still top his career high. He's pretty much been a 0.5 PPG player since he was 24.

Reactions: Chainshot

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who would protect Killorn in the expansion draft? Those are your teams. Otherwise he is a prototype take in the X draft. Nobody wants to pay a 1st for a rental

Reactions: Steeler23

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Who would protect Killorn in the expansion draft? Those are your teams. Otherwise he is a prototype take in the X draft. Nobody wants to pay a 1st for a rental
Could be a guy to take to expose in the expansion draft with a modified NTC, right? I don't remember exactly how those modified clauses worked.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn has 3 years left at $4.45 mill. Miller had 4 years left at $5.25 mill when traded.
Killorn turned 30 in Sept, so will be 31 when next season begins. Miller turned 26 in 2019. So, a big difference in age.

I would say it's a buyer beware situation with Killorn. Prior to this season, his previous 6 seasons he's played pretty much the full 82 games with the exception of 1 season at 71 games. His point totals ranged between a low of 36 to a high of 47. This season, on a massive career pace with 31 in 34 games.

Factoring in age and prior history, I'd be weary of this being a career season. He'll get traded in the summer IMO. I don't think a team should view him as a guy who is likely to repeat the pace he is currently on. No prior history of anything close to this pace. He could drop to 1/3 PPG in the 2nd half of the season and still top his career high. He's pretty much been a 0.5 PPG player since he was 24.

Killorn is a top-sixer on most NHL teams, but has always been a middle-six guy in TB until this year. I think a lot of teams are gonna look at 4.5m as a bargain for a player who's consistently a 0.5 ppg player, and coming off a 60ish(?) point season?

It'll be similar to Miller. Miller had age on his side, but Killorn has a better defensive game, a slightly better contract, and is a consistent playoff producer (this is his big edge over Miller; Killorn is the rare player who's numbers actually get better in the post season).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just wouldn’t trade for Killorn expecting him to produce at this years pace. I can hope for it but not expect him. I would expect similar production like prior years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just wouldn’t trade for Killorn expecting him to produce at this years pace. I can hope for it but not expect him. I would expect similar production like prior years.

I think most teams interested in Killorn would be looking at his playoff numbers, which are significantly better than his regular season numbers.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

I’d take the middle ground on that. He’s finally getting consistent top six and first unit power play time, and he’s also finally playing in front of the net which many of us have long wanted him to do. So it’s not unreasonable to think that he might continue to perform at a level better than his previous 0.5ppg standard. At the same time he does of course benefit from playing on a PP unit with Kuch, Point, Stamkos, and Hedman, and even if he were to remain with the Lightning I wouldn’t expect him to stay on a 70+ point pace.

As for his value I would under normal circumstances say that he would easily garner a 1st even as a rental given his two-way play and PK abilities in addition to his scoring, but teams over the past few years have gotten stingier with giving up their top picks for rentals, next year’s draft is supposed to be a particularly deep one, and the upcoming expansion draft and Killorn’s ability to limit the number of available destinations won’t help matters. The Bolts’ cap situation won’t have nearly as much of an impact as people think as it still comes down to supply vs. demand regardless of the circumstances prompting the trade, but those other factors will definitely have an effect. I don’t think it’s impossible that he could return a 1st, but I’d say a 2nd+ is far more likely.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As a Pens fan I'd like to acquire him. Not sure what the Pens could give up that would be of interest to Tampa.

Wouldn't be until the draft. Basically just a pick, or a couple of picks, or an ELC. We can't take back any money whatsoever.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
He'd look absolutely deadly with Lowry and Copp I'd imagine. But the Jets wouldn't pay up for him and they'd also need to dispose of Perreault first to free the space.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Could be a guy to take to expose in the expansion draft with a modified NTC, right? I don't remember exactly how those modified clauses worked.
it was only nmcs that had to be blocked last time.

actually he was the guy everyone thought yzerman signed him to that deal so vegas would take him last time

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That is correct. Being selected in the Expansion Draft is not considered a "trade". Which means the NTCs do not protect players during the Expansion Draft.
i would have been curious what the nhl would have done if they had some dumbass gm give every player he signed a nmc to try and get around the limits they put in , but it would have prob been like okay you cant protect anyone.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
21-20-41 w/ +16 so far this season but has cooled off a bit since the all star break (4points in the 9 games since). Really has raised his value this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->