Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We would be lucky to get a 1st for Killer. Especially with the flat cap

I think a 2nd is pretty realistic, but the main thing is getting more than one time involved in the bidding. Killer is the type of player teams covet for a long playoff run, so, I think you're right that we'll need some luck to get a 1st because of league-wide cap concerns, but it wouldn't be overly surprising if some team looking for one last run coughs it up.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Since it seems Killorn is likely to be traded, unfortunately, and there seems to be an increasing possibility that Cernak could be the odd man out among the rfa's, what if Tampa attempted a package deal with both? Assuming there are several teams interested in both guys, how would a deal of Killorn, Cernak, and 2021 2nd to Colorado for Timmins and 2021 1st sound? I went for the 2021 draft for the picks since it's unclear how the 2020 situation is going to work out, but they could be 2020 picks instead if things worked out. Figured Tampa gets an extra 1st back plus a quality, likely NHL ready RD prospect and saves cap room while Colorado gains a quality 2 way winger, an already proven RD and a late 2nd. Anyway, just seeing if this seems like an overpayment either way or is somewhat close to fair?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Since it seems Killorn is likely to be traded, unfortunately, and there seems to be an increasing possibility that Cernak could be the odd man out among the rfa's, what if Tampa attempted a package deal with both? Assuming there are several teams interested in both guys, how would a deal of Killorn, Cernak, and 2021 2nd to Colorado for Timmins and 2021 1st sound? I went for the 2021 draft for the picks since it's unclear how the 2020 situation is going to work out, but they could be 2020 picks instead if things worked out. Figured Tampa gets an extra 1st back plus a quality, likely NHL ready RD prospect and saves cap room while Colorado gains a quality 2 way winger, an already proven RD and a late 2nd. Anyway, just seeing if this seems like an overpayment either way or is somewhat close to fair?

Even if you take out the 2nd from Tampa that's still an overpayment.
Killorn>1st
Cernak>Timmins

I don't mind the idea of taking a 2021 1st, we'd probably trade it at the deadline anyway, but would be nice to have a 1st this year just to replenish the pool a little bit sooner. Timmins should be ready to play in the NHL next season so we get a somewhat replacement for Cernak but his injury history has me worried about him long-term. So not sure what the add from Colorado needs to be, you have no 2nd this year which would probably have done it and we don't need too many future picks. Don't need Jost especially if he wants a decent bridge deal and we are going to have a bunch of young cheap wingers on the team next year so Kaut doesn't make much sense either.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Killorn>1st
Cernak>Timmins

I don't mind the idea of taking a 2021 1st, we'd probably trade it at the deadline anyway, but would be nice to have a 1st this year just to replenish the pool a little bit sooner. Timmins should be ready to play in the NHL next season so we get a somewhat replacement for Cernak but his injury history has me worried about him long-term. So not sure what the add from Colorado needs to be, you have no 2nd this year which would probably have done it and we don't need too many future picks. Don't need Jost especially if he wants a decent bridge deal and we are going to have a bunch of young cheap wingers on the team next year so Kaut doesn't make much sense either.

I'm a Tampa fan so definitely want the best return possible but I don't think Killorn is worth more than a 1st. I think he could be worth a 1st though. Cernak is better than Timmins now but he may have to be the one rfa cap casualty and other teams would know that going into negotiations. I also know how values Timmins seems to be for most Colorado fans, so I doubt they let him go easily. I think his only main injury was from a headshot that hurt him, but I'll have to look into that.

Hopefully, Tampa can keep all 3 main rfa's but if not then getting a young rhd back for Cernak would be nice. Perhaps Tampa removes the 2nd and Colorado adds a 2nd in '21. I think in an offseason where the cap went up Tampa could've easily got the Miller deal for Killorn, but now a 1st seems top end. As long as Timmins injury concern isn't something projected to be a lingering, long term issue, him and a 2nd seems close for Cernak. Almost any trade Tampa makes has to either be for just picks or a combination of picks and low cost elc types, so Timmins seemed like a good target.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Killorn>1st
Cernak>Timmins

This is the first time I visited your guys board in a few months, so I'm not trying to creep :laugh:

Not going to comment on Killorn as his value is set by the market. However, I don't see Timmins going anywhere unless it's for a big piece. Timmins should be expansion exempt, so if we acquire Cernak there's a good chance we just lose him or Graves next year anyways. Without the expansion draft it would be a lot more interesting, but I don't believe there's any interest in a Timmins for Cernak trade base.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What sucks about the shut down (in this context) is it probably lowers Killorn's value a bit. Sort of like a player on pace for a big year who then got injured, we can't QUITE say he's a 50 point player, even though he had a solid chance at 60.

Let's hope for a huge post-season. fingers crossed.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Ok Cernak is not the odd man out. Let’s be realistic here people.

That leaves This group as our “right side”
Call Foote
Shattenkirk (UFA)
Rutta (UFA)
Bogo (UFA)

Let’s be real Cernak will be back

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ok Cernak is not the odd man out. Let’s be realistic here people.

That leaves This group as our “right side”
Call Foote
Shattenkirk (UFA)
Rutta (UFA)
Bogo (UFA)

Let’s be real Cernak will be back
Cernak would be a great target for an offer sheet for many teams. You can throw 4.2 mil at him without losing a first.

And even if you take positional needs into consideration, Cernak is certainly our 3rd most important piece behind Sergachev and Cirelli.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Thoughts on Coburn? $1.8M IIRC for mostly bottom pairing duty but he’s solid at that. Flip him for a pick to gain some cap flexibility? Call up Foote in his stead?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Thoughts on Coburn? $1.8M IIRC for mostly bottom pairing duty but he’s solid at that. Flip him for a pick to gain some cap flexibility? Call up Foote in his stead?

It's 1.7 but he has a full NTC. A trade is possible since he was healthy scratched a few games last year so maybe he wants a team he can play a full 82 to get one more contract but he may want the best shot at the Cup and is close to retiring. A buyout saves just over 1M and if you replace with Masin, who's probably getting 700k, it's only 300k difference but Masin isn't ready to play the minutes Coburn probably does. Would be nice to have Coburn around to show Masin the ropes since that's the spot we hope Masin can fill after Coburn leaves and they can swap games to keep Coburn fresh.

As for Cernak if he wants too much he might have to go. Sergachev should be a higher priority and he can play the right side if needed. Foote is ready or just about to play and we can shelter him with McDonagh like we did Cernak at the start. If it comes down to Sergachev or Cernak you take Sergachev every time. I think he can be convinced to sign in the 1.7-2.2 range which should allow us to keep him.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Cernak would be a great target for an offer sheet for many teams. You can throw 4.2 mil at him without losing a first.

And even if you take positional needs into consideration, Cernak is certainly our 3rd most important piece behind Sergachev and Cirelli.

Yeah, if there’s a way we can keep both Serg and Cirelli and lose only Cernak (of the three key RFAs) then we do that without thinking twice about it. Unfortunately that is going to hinge on a number of things BriseBois can’t control (being able to trade one of their full-NTC forwards and/or Serg and Cirelli both being willing to sign for less than they could get elsewhere.)

And we can’t even blame this on the Wuhan virus shutdowns, though that certainly exacerbated the issue. Yzerman and BriseBois quite simply mismanaged the cap, particularly with the full NTCs they handed out like candy to complementary players. Johnson’s and Palat’s at least made sense as at the time they were considered core or near-core players. McDonagh’s is somewhat defensible given that he was a UFA at the time and plays a key role on our defense, though even then I think the combination of money, term, and trade protection was excessive. But there is simply no way that Killorn and especially Gourde should have gotten the contracts AND the trade protection that they did (one or the other, maybe, but certainly not both.)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, if there’s a way we can keep both Serg and Cirelli and lose only Cernak (of the three key RFAs) then we do that without thinking twice about it. Unfortunately that is going to hinge on a number of things BriseBois can’t control (being able to trade one of their full-NTC forwards and/or Serg and Cirelli both being willing to sign for less than they could get elsewhere.)

And we can’t even blame this on the Wuhan virus shutdowns, though that certainly exacerbated the issue. Yzerman and BriseBois quite simply mismanaged the cap, particularly with the full NTCs they handed out like candy to complementary players. Johnson’s and Palat’s at least made sense as at the time they were considered core or near-core players. McDonagh’s is somewhat defensible given that he was a UFA at the time and plays a key role on our defense, though even then I think the combination of money, term, and trade protection was excessive. But there is simply no way that Killorn and especially Gourde should have gotten the contracts AND the trade protection that they did (one or the other, maybe, but certainly not both.)
Dog whistle alert.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Offer sheets are such garbage. They don’t exist.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Killer is a great value for a team for his contract. He is good in all ends and is smart. I mean guys that hit 30 goals one time in their career somehow end make more than double his paycheck. I would rather keep Killer than Johnson, Palat, or Gourde long-term. I think we just need it comes down to who we can find a taker on any of the contracts for the best trade value for us. If the expansion was this offseason we could have easily unloaded one of the four with a 2nd round pick.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I would bet anybody on here any amount of money that Cernak does not sign one.
I’ll give you 5-1 odds.

It won’t happen, so why are we talking about it?
I'm sorry. Speculating possible off season outcomes on a hockey forum for totally out of line from me.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->