Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The math is the math. He's gone this offseason barring a huge jump in the cap (which is not projected).

I don't think we'll get 70 point trade value out of Killorn, but if he does score 70, we could be looking at another 1st rounder, which is not exactly bad for a guy who could easily return to 41 point status.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think we'll get 70 point trade value out of Killorn, but if he does score 70, we could be looking at another 1st rounder, which is not exactly bad for a guy who could easily return to 41 point status.
I'm too lazy to dig out any stats but it seems Killorn's scoring has come largely at even strength lately? That should make his value even higher than just feasting off our PP.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm too lazy to dig out any stats but it seems Killorn's scoring has come largely at even strength lately? That should make his value even higher than just feasting off our PP.

He's definitely gotten a bump from being on PP1 fulltime. Still having the season of his life at ES, but I mean, he already has 7 more PP points than he had all of last year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The math is the math. He's gone this offseason barring a huge jump in the cap (which is not projected).

That's the thing though the cap savings from trading him isn't as good as Johnson, Gourde or Palat. He's much better for the team then any of those three too who'll be much easier to replace. Again you'll say but he has a modified NTC while the others have a full, sure but it still makes it tough to move. He could list 16 teams that either don't have the cap space, need or willingness to pay the price. With Johnson and Palat they become modified the following year and if you see us trading Miller before his NTC, then Killorn once his becomes modified you have to know you're up next. Why don't we just ask them to waive this year since they'll be gone soon enough anyway?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
12 of is 38 points in 44 games so far were on the power play. That's 31.58% of his points.

For reference, his highest PPP totals per season and compared to his total points:
2016-17 he had 10 PPP out of 36 total points in 81 games = 27.78%
2017-18 he had 9 PPP out of 47 total points in 82 = 19.15%
2013-14 he had 8 PPP out of 41 total points in in 82 = 19.51%

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
For sure his scoring has come mostly on 5v5 lately: our PP1 has been absolutely trash in the last 5 games or so

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
That's the thing though the cap savings from trading him isn't as good as Johnson, Gourde or Palat. He's much better for the team then any of those three too who'll be much easier to replace. Again you'll say but he has a modified NTC while the others have a full, sure but it still makes it tough to move. He could list 16 teams that either don't have the cap space, need or willingness to pay the price. With Johnson and Palat they become modified the following year and if you see us trading Miller before his NTC, then Killorn once his becomes modified you have to know you're up next. Why don't we just ask them to waive this year since they'll be gone soon enough anyway?

I wouldn't doubt we'll feel them out about waiving, but don't get your hopes up. The odds _strongly_ favor Killer being gone next year. And odds are that means we'll have lucked into a sell-high scenario on him (assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff in 2nd half this season).

Edit: I'll be sad to see him go because he's always been one of my favorites. But it's also not some crushing blow to the team -- he's not as good as his number thus far this year would indicate.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I woke up this morning, went to my car to get some coffee at the Starbucks up the road, slipped on black ice and sprained my wrist.

So I have to ask Mr. Harvard - was my wrist worth it?

Killorn is destroying everything we've ever believed to be true one goal at a time. If he gets 30 goals I'd walk around wearing a protective cup if I were you

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I legitimately hope we don't plan on keeping Johnson or Gourde over Killorn. I would buy one or both out if they refused a trade over trading Killorn. Hell I would trade Stamkos before Killorn but I know that jerk won't waive either. The only forwards who do more for this team than Killorn are Kucherov and Cirelli, we need to keep Killorn.

Chromolith

Jul 6, 2010
I legitimately hope we don't plan on keeping Johnson or Gourde over Killorn. I would buy one or both out if they refused a trade over trading Killorn. Hell I would trade Stamkos before Killorn but I know that jerk won't waive either. The only forwards who do more for this team than Killorn are Kucherov and Cirelli, we need to keep Killorn.
...what?

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
I wouldn't trade Killorn this summer either. We are not stocked with power forwards. I was hoping Raddysh might turn into a player we could use, but not yet. If Johnson didn't waive if asked this summer, you could put him on waivers. I'm pretty sure his contract would be picked up. I don't think Gourde's would. If unloading Johnson for nothing was the only way to keep Cernak, Serg, and Cirelli, I would make that move. Most players don't want to go on waivers because they have no idea where they might end up. It would be better for him to give a few places he would go in order to waive his NTC. And that way, we would get something for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad