Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Depends what a "beast" means to you. Killorn is pretty average on every aspect.

Teddy.

Purcell.

Advanced stats aren't everything. Some guys can be fringe NHLers on a good team and wind up with terrific advanced stats if the team keeps putting them in good positions.

I think Killorn's fine, at least for this year. But he's like our 11th or 12th best forward as of now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Teddy.

Purcell.

Advanced stats aren't everything. Some guys can be fringe NHLers on a good team and wind up with terrific advanced stats if the team keeps putting them in good positions.

I think Killorn's fine, at least for this year. But he's like our 11th or 12th best forward as of now.
There are stats that account for things like that, you know.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And yet they still don't explain why everyone raved over Teddy Purcell's advanced stats, two years before he couldn't find a job in the league.
I’m unfamiliar with how Purcell was statistically. Haven’t looked into him.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's the worst forward I've ever seen put up 40+ points.
I started watching hardcore in 2013 and IMO in 13 lockout season and the start of the 13-14 season he was good. (Based on watching alone, as I said I haven’t looked into his numbers). Can’t really speak on before that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just going to leave this here real quick.

Even strength points

Kucherov 64
Stamkos 53
Point 50
Gourde 49
Killorn 38

Even strength goals
Kucherov 31
Point 24
Gourde 17
Johnson 15
Killorn 13

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Killorns contract might be too much for the team since we have so many good young players but for cost per point he is at same level with Stamkos and Paquette. You could compare him to Hörnqvist who got new deal with on 7.07 C.H% and Killorn is on 6.1%, the contract should just get better as time goes on unless his production drops.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorns contract might be too much for the team since we have so many good young players but for cost per point he is at same level with Stamkos and Paquette. You could compare him to Hörnqvist who got new deal with on 7.07 C.H% and Killorn is on 6.1%, the contract should just get better as time goes on unless his production drops.

This is the best stretch of games Killer has put together in years, as in, I can't remember him playing poorly in any so far. He's actually making things happen and creating chances, rather than just cashing in on chances that happen to pop up. His mobility is still a concern. He's such a stiff skater, and it takes him forever to get to top speed. But that's more a long-term concern. He can still make it work. He's been a solid asset so far.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is the best stretch of games Killer has put together in years, as in, I can't remember him playing poorly in any so far. He's actually making things happen and creating chances, rather than just cashing in on chances that happen to pop up. His mobility is still a concern. He's such a stiff skater, and it takes him forever to get to top speed. But that's more a long-term concern. He can still make it work. He's been a solid asset so far.

At this time last season he already 7 points including a 4 point night, he 10 points in 12 games through October, the year before that he had a monster 6 goals in the first 7 games to start the season. These things will even out with Killorn, whatever 10 game benefit you get in Oct gets cancelled out by a 20 game drought mid-season.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Agreed. Guys like Killorn, Paquette and Johnson have looked really good this year compared to where they've been more recently. It's really nice to see. Could lead to something special if Stamkos, Kuch, Miller and Palat can get it going as well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed. Guys like Killorn, Paquette and Johnson have looked really good this year compared to where they've been more recently. It's really nice to see. Could lead to something special if Stamkos, Kuch, Miller and Palat can get it going as well.
Man, Palat has been baaaad. Like, still responsible and all of that jazz, but offensively what the hell.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
At this time last season he already 7 points including a 4 point night, he 10 points in 12 games through October, the year before that he had a monster 6 goals in the first 7 games to start the season. These things will even out with Killorn, whatever 10 game benefit you get in Oct gets cancelled out by a 20 game drought mid-season.

Sure, but I don't think he was as good game-in, game-out as he has been to start this year. He would have great games and then disappear, and then points would be there, and then there'd be long droughts. This year he's been consistently one of our better players through the first 6 games, whether scoring or not. But I agree that it'll even out and he's gonna end up with 40 points total, with a bunch of frustrating stretches.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Killorn riding some pretty poor team on-ice shooting % at 7.2% with a PDO of 97.6, his powerplay PDO is a nightmarish 84.8!! Is he due for a rebound or does his play a reflection of these bad stats?

Thanks!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Killorn riding some pretty poor team on-ice shooting % at 7.2% with a PDO of 97.6, his powerplay PDO is a nightmarish 84.8!! Is he due for a rebound or does his play a reflection of these bad stats?

Thanks!
He's been fine. His line has created a lot of chances but hasn't been cashing in yet (two rookies + Killorn on a line). As far as the PP... top PP has been kind of crappy most of the time. Hedman coming back should help a bit but really the blame is on Kucherov and Stamkos for overpassing like crazy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Killorn hasnt been scoring but I like the way he has played lately. That line is always in the offensive zone. They get a ton of chances too. They will start putting some in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn hasnt been scoring but I like the way he has played lately. That line is always in the offensive zone. They get a ton of chances too. They will start putting some in.

This is what I'm seeing too. I was pretty surprised he only had 4 or 5 points. Feels like he's been playing really well compared to what we're used to. I don't remember Killer creating a lot of plays in recent years, but he has been this year. Whether they work out or not, having a third line that can put pressure on the opponent is worth something, so long as our top-six is scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad