Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The guy leads the team in relative to team expected goals for percentage too, he looks good by basically every metric

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn is fine. Just a sort of average player.

My only concern is if he loses another step. He looks soooo stiff sometimes. But if he's finding a way to score 40 points per year, it's hard to complain.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's not about playing to his contract anymore, it's that the capspace is better used elsewhere. We could use a slightly worse player at 1/4th the price and the rest of his cap would be allocated other guy's raises.

Killorn as a depth player at 4.45m on a team with capspace is fine, Killorn at 4.45m on an already deep team that will be right at the cap will be a hindrance unless he's playing above his value.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can deal with Killorn for all his faults because come playoff time all he knows how to do is win and score enormous goals. There's no sense in counting them all or recapping -he's proven it time and again for years now. I'll enjoy it while it lasts

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I can deal with Killorn for all his faults because come playoff time all he knows how to do is win and score enormous goals. There's no sense in counting them all or recapping -he's proven it time and again for years now. I'll enjoy it while it lasts
Honestly, he has consistency issues but he’s good defensively, gets a ton of primary assists, drives play, can play well without top linemates, and shows up big in the post season. Super underrated top-6 winger. Contract isn’t actually bad at the moment (in fact it’s rather good), just bad term.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly, he has consistency issues but he’s good defensively, gets a ton of primary assists, drives play, can play well without top linemates, and shows up big in the post season. Super underrated top-6 winger. Contract isn’t actually bad at the moment (in fact it’s rather good), just bad term.

He's not really a top-six winger anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if he starts the year on our fourth line.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Killorn is a guy that can play all up and down the lineup. We have a lot of guys like that it seems. I wonder if we take more of a mix up lines type approach this year. I remember Coop being big on that but last year we had more set lines.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's not really a top-six winger anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if he starts the year on our fourth line.

If he's in the top-6 it's a very meh top-6, he has better value as an above average bottom-6 winger. He's so inconsistently consistent that I don't think playing with Malkin, Crosby or McDavid would have an effect on his stats.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I never understood the whole "Killorn is good defensively" argument. He's... alright. He's certainly no Palat. He's ideally not a got you would have in a shutdown role. He plays his position defensively which is fine, but he's not what I would call a "two-way" player as much as just that type of player.

It is the same thing when people refer to him as a power forward because he's kinda big. He's really not. He certainly doesn't play like he is. I feel like he's the prime example of a replacement-level player in the NHL. He's just... average. Which is fine, and having that guy play on your third or fourth line is the type of depth all but maybe two other teams in the league would kill for, but he's a remarkably unremarkable player to me.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I never understood the whole "Killorn is good defensively" argument. He's... alright. He's certainly no Palat. He's ideally not a got you would have in a shutdown role. He plays his position defensively which is fine, but he's not what I would call a "two-way" player as much as just that type of player.

It is the same thing when people refer to him as a power forward because he's kinda big. He's really not. He certainly doesn't play like he is. I feel like he's the prime example of a replacement-level player in the NHL. He's just... average. Which is fine, and having that guy play on your third or fourth line is the type of depth all but maybe two other teams in the league would kill for, but he's a remarkably unremarkable player to me.
I think you are definitely underrating his playmaking and play driving

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think you are definitely underrating his playmaking and play driving

I have no idea how you're seeing that. He's an average, 0.5 ppg player, who's decent but not great defensively.

I think maybe you're reading too much into advanced stats and too young to remember how awesome Teddy Purcell's advanced stats were.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Martin St.louis had horrible advanced stats, probably not worth Jake Gardiner in todays game according to the kiddies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Killorn is fine for what he is and will be. A steady presence on Cirelli’s wing on the third line for $4.5m. As long as he scores 40+ points, is a + player, ups his game in the playoffs, plays 80+ games, and can be used in all situations ... the Lightning are getting a hell of a value.

He leaves us wishing for more because he is a pu$$y. But good hockey player and good value for a franchise that doesn’t value fighting and toughness.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Killorn is fine for what he is and will be. A steady presence on Cirelli’s wing on the third line for $4.5m. As long as he scores 40+ points, is a + player, ups his game in the playoffs, plays 80+ games, and can be used in all situations ... the Lightning are getting a hell of a value.

He leaves us wishing for more because he is a pu$$y. But good hockey player and good value for a franchise that doesn’t value fighting and toughness.

The problem with Killorn isn’t that he underperforms his contract - while that may change by the end of his deal he’s still giving us reasonable value for what he’s being paid. The problem is we could easily replace him on the third line at a lower cost and use that money for more pressing needs like keeping Gourde around or getting a veteran RD for next season. It’s not the cost but the opportunity cost that makes his contract a bad one for us.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
You got to tone it down with the advanced stats. I wouldn't be comfortable with a guy in top six who has barely topped 40 points aside from last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->