Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
A good rule of thumb is 1 million for 10 points a season. Killorn is a consistent 40 point player and that 450k extra is for bringing his game to another level in the playoffs. We'll see how bad the later years of that contract will be.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Is it crippling? Probably not. Would we be much better off having that cap space to keep Gourde around long term, or to strengthen our D-corps, or any number of other uses? Yes.

Tell me how that contract will affect us from keeping Gourde long term? Have you looked at our cap post 2019? Again, it's 4.45m not 8, at most he's overpaid for 500k

Killorn is not immovable either

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He brings about nothing. Not worth near 4+ mil.

As others have pointed out that he's a .5 ppg player, which is what he has been for most of his career. That's how much those players cost. He's also a responsible 2 way player. As quiet as he is, he does his job well. He also steps up in the playoffs. My problem is the term. Obviously I would rather use that money on a player like Karlsson but its rare that these guys are even available.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How many goals does he have this season? I don't care about his assists too much considering he's had decent linemates.

huh? points are points - 24 points regardless or what you think, he's played on the 3rd line all season which is actually a step below where he usually plays in the past, so he's actually had worse linemates this season than usual.

Anything else?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
huh? points are points - 24 points regardless or what you think, he's played on the 3rd line all season which is actually a step below where he usually plays in the past, so he's actually had worse linemates this season than usual.

Anything else?
Only 5 goals, and I haven't noticed him in a game since early November.
He only got his points when the entire team was firing on all cylinders.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Points are points. He's producing right around his career average despite weaker linemates. That kind of marked consistency is worth 4 mil. And he has a history of going beast mode in the playoffs. That's worth 500k. We all agree his term is the worst part of his contract, but Yzerman has shown the ability to move contracts in the past. His contract really isn't that bad and he is a pretty decent player to have. He won't wow you or explode for 10 points in 3 games, but he'll chug along at .5 PPG and eat up minutes with responsible 2-way play. Killorn is pretty low on the list of issues.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Killorn is "okay". Definitely is better on a game to game basis than guys like Point or Gourde who are out there busting there ass every shift. But somehow he gets points. I think with the emergence of Gourde, Point and Kucherov's payday coming up will make Killorn a luxury we can't afford in the near future, and we will likely need to trade him and bring up a cheaper guy from the AHL. I know he has that NTC, so how that works we'll have to see. If we can't move him over the next few seasons it could be a problem.

These budding stars will want to get paid. Maybe Kucherov signs for the same as Stamkos which would be great but I doubt it. Hopefully we get him for 9 mil a season or less. Point will get a big raise. We don't want to have the cap problems Chicago or Pittsburg does but it's hard when you have so many players putting up such high numbers.

I love watching our team and the way the play is super exciting. I wonder if a "defensive team" like Nashville ends up being cheaper for the organization long term if you are winning games 3-2 or 2-1 more than 4-3 and 3-2 like us. It would make things cheaper for people who follow the "10 points 1 million" rough guideline...Even if it is a rough guide line it still gives a huge more leverage in negotiations....Anyways just thinking out loud and rambling on but Yzerman has put together an amazing team for us and with solid assets in the pipeline. I think locking up "decent" players like Killorn to long term even "slight" over payments will make things harder on himself than he might have realized at the time. I think we'll need to rely on those ELC players coming up from Syracuse along with our great players taking hometown discounts if we want to continue as Stanley cup contenders for years to come.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I honestly don't think his $4.45M cap hit is an issue going forward. The salary cap is expected to rise. His $4.45M kicked in in 2017. As history has told us a comparable player signing a contract right now would probably get $5.0M or more these days. And so on. So the cap will go up, which means more room for re-signings and signings and his contract will look more and more better in comparison to contracts of players of equal value in the future.

I just wish he would score a goal from time to time. He's at an all-time low in his career in goal scoring pace. He's streaky, yes, but his 5 in 50 would mean 8 in 80. Compare that to:
7 in 38 games played (2013), 17 in 82 (2014), 15 in 71 (2015), 14 in 81 (2016) and 19 in 81 (2017). And I don't really buy the linemates argument. He was able to produce no matter what line he was on. And our 3rd line would be a 2nd line on most teams.

Linemates for Killer: Alex Killorn - Full Stats, Line Combos and Game Logs

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I thought he had a pretty good game vs Winnipeg last night. He was pretty noticeable out there even if the game didn't turn out in our favor.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I thought he had a pretty good game vs Winnipeg last night. He was pretty noticeable out there even if the game didn't turn out in our favor.
Yeah, I noticed him for the first time since October.

Peca was noticeably better though.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Killorn's been a frustration for sure, mainly because of that contract, but he's actually been playing relatively well lately. He's just not scoring. And while he was never a burner, he sort of looks like he's out of shape, too.

To my eye, his game has subtle shades of the kind of deterioration that happens when a guy's lifestyle away from the ice is at odds with his responsibilities as a pro athlete.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Lol... the players clearly visit this board. Best game in ages from Killorn, even without the goals. It's been a long time since he didn't look like he was skating in mud.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That's a 4 point game for him and if my math is correct he can now play pointless for 7 games.

Yea that’s Killorn for you. He’s invisible and then poof there he is contributing on a goal or two. As long as he stays the streaky player that he is but producing in big moments he will be a valuable player to have. No matter if it’s with us or on another team in a trade down the road.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't visit this forum anymore, but I see Dom posting crap on Killer every day on the main boards lol

Glad to see that he's the lone wolf and everyone else still appreciates Killorn. He's always come off as a guy who is well liked in the locker room too which definitely counts for something even when the points aren't coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad