Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
you also have to be very careful now! do you sign palat and Johnson long term deals ? because that will affect us being able to pay kucherov two years from now! I say you can do one deal for palat and johnson not both for 5 plus per season.

Depends on how much they get on their next deals. If Killorn goes to Vegas we could use his 4.5 to pay both and put them at 5.5 which isn't terrible if they play like they can. In 2 more years, Garrison, Coburn and Stralman contracts are all off the books. Callahan is in his last year, a buyout saves us 3mil one year and 4 the next. Carle's buyout has just one more year. There's money becoming available and I really only see Point and Drouin getting paid from our current group. As long as we don't go heavy in free agency and promote from within we should have all the money we need for Kucherov.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I agree with all of this, but it doesn't support what you said about it guaranteeing Kucherov stays longer.

I guess it doesn't guarantee it but Kucherov wasn't getting that 6 year deal. He gave Stamkos and Hedman 5, if Kucherov wanted term I think it would've been 5 too. In his current deal he gets 3 than is still an RFA and even if he takes 1 year we get him for 4 years. So it's a 1 year difference, money wise I don't know what he would've got for 2 more years, maybe 6? So he shorted himself 4.5 over the first 3 years, if he jumps to 9mil then he makes 3mil of that back in 1 year, if he signs for 2 years he's ahead 1.5mil over that 5 year deal. I don't think he cost himself money and helped the team a lot.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I guess it doesn't guarantee it but Kucherov wasn't getting that 6 year deal. He gave Stamkos and Hedman 5, if Kucherov wanted term I think it would've been 5 too. In his current deal he gets 3 than is still an RFA and even if he takes 1 year we get him for 4 years. So it's a 1 year difference, money wise I don't know what he would've got for 2 more years, maybe 6? So he shorted himself 4.5 over the first 3 years, if he jumps to 9mil then he makes 3mil of that back in 1 year, if he signs for 2 years he's ahead 1.5mil over that 5 year deal. I don't think he cost himself money and helped the team a lot.

While true, I still don't see how it correlates to your conclusion. Most teams are going the Rays route now where they trade term and give security in exchange for arbitration and UFA eligible season's at a cheaper rate. Yzerman hasn't shown a willingness to go that route, but that could be for a number of reasons.

Even if Yzerman is trying to maximize the chance that Kucherov stays here longer, which within the structure of the CBA it doesn't, he has yet to give any direct evidence to indicate that those are his intentions. My own theory is that he is hedging his risk with home grown talent, which is very frustrating considering some of the wasteful spending hes given to free agents.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I was wondering exactly how bad Killorn has been this season. So I ran the numbers...

He had 6g, 2a through 10 games this season. So a pretty hot start for him.

Since, he has had 26 points for the rest of the season. Despite getting good linemates and a healthy amount of PP time.

That is awful. 6 more years of this if we can't offload him.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's played previous seasons with Stamkos tho, no Stammer = no points for Killer. Although I believe this season he didn't play with Stamkos much, if at all

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So I was wondering exactly how bad Killorn has been this season. So I ran the numbers...

He had 6g, 2a through 10 games this season. So a pretty hot start for him.

Since, he has had 26 points for the rest of the season. Despite getting good linemates and a healthy amount of PP time.

That is awful. 6 more years of this if we can't offload him.

It gets worse when you run the numbers on Filppula and Namestnikov and far worse when you run the numbers on Callahan last year. These "depth" players we have flat out suck no matter who you put them with.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Killorn is core, dont know what you guys are talking about. Eould anyone sign Palat for more than Killorn? Hell no.

Let me repeat, Killer is core.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It gets worse when you run the numbers on Filppula and Namestnikov and far worse when you run the numbers on Callahan last year. These "depth" players we have flat out suck no matter who you put them with.

Difference is Callahan was playing with a torn hip most of the season. I am confident with him healthy next season can put up at least a .50 PPG pace.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Difference is Callahan was playing with a torn hip most of the season. I am confident with him healthy next season can put up at least a .50 PPG pace.

It's been so long since we've seen him healthy it's hard to know what he brings to the table.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's been so long since we've seen him healthy it's hard to know what he brings to the table.

They found the issue with his injury and he said he is confident in fully recovering. I'm holding out hope. I still believe he will be very effective when he returns. Just have to wait and see. Don't Think he should be written off just yet.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Can't shake the feeling that Killer has been playing injured for a while now. He's always been streaky but this is a new level of low production for him.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Can't shake the feeling that Killer has been playing injured for a while now. He's always been streaky but this is a new level of low production for him.

Agreed. He's never had a ton of speed, but right now it looks like he's skating in mud. I can't believe that he goes from a .5 ppg player for 3 seasons to what we're seeing today. Something is wrong.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think Killer would be a 50 point guy with the right linemates, but that's beside the point. He's a nice 2nd liner who is playing injured.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think Killer would be a 50 point guy with the right linemates, but that's beside the point. He's a nice 2nd liner who is playing injured.

[MOD]

Before Callahan's hip gave him trouble last season he was easily better than Killorn. Don't confuse overpaid with bad. A fully healthy Callahan would be a huge boost and anyone that doesn't agree is hopefully confusing the two adjectives.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Was digging thru some stats and here's a shocker: Killorn had a career high 19 goals this season! His SOG and S% went up too from last year.

1AoQDQb.png

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Was digging thru some stats and here's a shocker: Killorn had a career high 19 goals this season! His SOG and S% went up too from last year.

1AoQDQb.png

Look and see how many of those goals were early in the season. If he would have somewhere near that level consistently we probably would have made the playoffs.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Gonna be fun to see him on team Canada, even if I doubt he will come out with a goal from that tournament, at least not on a shutdown line.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Gonna be fun to see him on team Canada, even if I doubt he will come out with a goal from that tournament, at least not on a shutdown line.

He hasn't even scored any point so far for Team Canada, but it's only 3 games in. I am hoping he'll show a bit more of that early season scoring style than the rest of the season slumping. :shakehead

It's a shame because he's been very clutch in the past, especially in playoffs, and he started the year on fire!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So when will Killer finally show up? Young Killorn was comparable to what Gourde is doing right now. Physical, great on the forecheck and puck retrieval with a scoring touch allowing him to play top-6 minutes if needed. He's now pointless in 6 straight games and has just 5 goals (24 points) in 48 games. His shooting-% is at an all-time low at 5.9 - his second career worst S% was 8.5 in his rookie season. Yikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->