Alex Gudbranson

4Isles4*

I actually noticed him in my video game...but 16 and 6'2 rhs hes def gonna be at least 6'4....

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Saw him play with the Ottawa Junior 67's last year. Nothing overwhelming about his game. Good size, but it pretty much ends there.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Not nearly at the level as his brother, but he's looked okay this year after likely going a little bit too high in the draft last season. As mentioned, he does have good size and he's a pretty physical player as well. Fairly average skater and not overly mobile on the breakout. He has a pretty good shot but he doesn't get to use it that often. He'll be a guy to watch next year, but he's not going to go into next year as a premier guy to watch or anything.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's hard to describe Alex without making the comparison to his older brother's game. The short answer is he's basically a less mobile, less talented, less positionally sound, less offensively gifted version of Erik.

The long answer is he's a 16 year old trying to find his way in his rookie season. Thus far, he's looked OK, but not great. He's playing like a bottom pairing OHL blueliner.

He's physical and will drop the gloves if need be, but needs to work on his positioning. He's still prone to getting beat to the outside, and has trouble identifying his man in the defensive zone, especially in situations where the opposition is weaving and criss-crossing around. Both positioning and defensive awareness I think are more due to his lack of experience, however, and can be improved.

Offensively, he hasn't developed as quickly as his older brother. Erik looked like he was capable of being a good OHLer even at 16. Alex, on the other hand, hasn't really shown any glimpses of being anything special. He's not bad offensively, but he's also not really shown anything -- at this point in time -- that indicates he'll be racking up points from the back end anytime soon. His outlet pass isn't as good as Erik's, and his shot is erratic.

I will say, however, that he's looking much better as the season has gone on. At the beginning of the year, he looked lost. He wasn't even playing physical, he had no offensive game to speak of, and his positioning was mediocre at the best of times. Now, all those things are more consistently improving towards an "average" rating, upgraded from "mediocre".

I don't know how much stock people want to put into the comment, but it's been mentioned numerous times that one of their coaches who coached both Erik and Alex back home in Orleans has been quoted as saying that he thinks Alex actually has more offensive potential than Erik. I haven't seen it yet, but we'll see. The kid's only 16.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
What's his deal? I know he hasn't performed nearly as well as Erik did at the OHL level but he's huge and has raw talent. Has to be worth a late-round pick at the very least, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad