Alex Goligoski vs. Matt Niskanen

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
I don't really know much about either, so my questions are:

1) Who's closer to making it?
2) Who has more points potential?
3) Who's a bigger risk?

I think Niskanen is stronger, but also younger. Goligoski just signed a contract with the Pens, but I've heard he'll have to significantly bulk up to make it. Any comments?

ajjg123*

Unless Goligoski has an incredible camp, he will likely go to the Pen's minor league affiliate (Wilkes-Barre). He might get a call up at some point. He's a fast puck moving defensemen and is incredibly talented. It's hard to pick a number of points for him at this time though. He's had 39 points the last two years at Minnesota while playing 41 and 44 games respectively.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Chinstrap said:
Niskanen, though it both could see some NHL time this year if injures happen.
Though for the 2008-2009 season, Niskanen should be in the NHL full time, I'm not sure that Goligoski will be ready until about January of 2009.

Chinstrap said:
I'd say Niskanen.

Chinstrap said:
3) Who's a bigger risk?
Goligoski, there's quite a bit he needs to work on, besides improving his strength alot.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Goligoski could have played in the NHL last year. Niskanen was pretty disappointing last year. I'd much rather have Goligoski.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

3) Who's a bigger risk?

I think Niskanen is stronger, but also younger. Goligoski just signed a contract with the Pens, but I've heard he'll have to significantly bulk up to make it. Any comments?

1. Niskanen
2. Goligoski, undoubtedly
3. Goligoski, simply because he doesn't have the ideal frame for a d-man and he's coming off an injury

I wouldn't say Goligoski needs to bulk up significantly at all. That's not his game. His size certainly isn't ideal, but I see no reason he can't be a defenseman in the mold of Brian Rafalski.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Goligoski could have played in the NHL last year. Niskanen was pretty disappointing last year. I'd much rather have Goligoski.

How was Niskanen disappointing? He had one bad month, granted it was from the middle of November until middle of December, but he improved alot after that.
There's no way Goligoski could've played good in the NHL last year, Penguins also shouldn't rush him to to the NHL either.

Last edited:

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
How was Niskanen disappointing? He had one bad month, granted it was from the middle of November until middle of December, but he improved alot after that.
There's no way Goligoski could've played good in the NHL last year, Penguins also shouldn't rush him to to the NHL either.

He was pretty bad the entire first half of the season. He had two games where he had a positive +/-; one against the worst team in the WCHA, and one against the worst team in the CCHA. His overall +/- was something like -17 in the first half of the season.

You can't blame Duluth's poor season entirely on him, but it's not like he was carrying the team.

Fortius

May 23, 2007
I like both of them (actually have both in my pool) and this is what I see.

Niskanen
Upside - Zubov, good skater, good passer, keen hockey sense and leader
Downside - Morris, same tools but can't put it all together

Goligoski
Upside - Rafalski, same size, great skating skills and great passing, will be an outstanding PP QB
Downside - Ehrhoff, has all the talent and ability, but may not be in the right mix/time/team to use it

Also, Goligoski had a slight labrum tear that was repaired in the off-season, so his arrival will be later than Niskanen (in addition to having more competition with Gonchar/Whitney/Letang). This was also a factor in him signing this year instead of after his senior year as was originally hoped. In my opinion, Niskanen will be an excellent pro and quite possibly a superb one. Goligoski has more boom/bust potential, but his skill should negate most of the risk, and has the better chance to be a superstar. :thumbu:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Im hearing a lot of people saying that they are going to be bringing him along to be mentored by Zubov to become his replacement down the road. They tried to kinda do that with Daly and it wasnt has HIGHLY successful pt wise already, but i think niskanen, being how he has come along since being drafted, will sky rocket very soon

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Im hearing a lot of people saying that they are going to be bringing him along to be mentored by Zubov to become his replacement down the road. They tried to kinda do that with Daly and it wasnt has HIGHLY successful pt wise already, but i think niskanen, being how he has come along since being drafted, will sky rocket very soon

I've heard the same thing.... Dallas is very high on Niskanen's abilities, and he didn't hesitate to make the leap out of college.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I would say that Niskanen is more ready. He played on some pretty bad UMD teams. He was asked to most everything there. He should be well versed. Goligoski has been the best d man at the U since his freshman year. Still he has had lots of talent around him. Its easy to break out of your zone when you are passing to a Kessel or Potulny.

For Goligoski to really have success he will have to either get stronger or get better at positional play. He will never be a d stopper. He will be an O minded d man. But he needs to improve in one area to not be a liablity out there. He has gotten better and worked on his physical play. Catching a few guys with there heads down and de-skating them last year. Still cleaning some sophmores clock from MSU is alot different than lighting up a NHL forward.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site

3) Who's a bigger risk?

1. If you want to judge on physically prepared, it would be Niskanen. If Goligoski were healthy right now, it would be a toss up. However, if you were going to focus on whose game is more prepared for the NHL, it would be Goligoski. Niskanen's game is not as polished as Goligoski. Goligoski is a better overall defenseman. As others pointed out, Niskanen has shown that he needs work in his own zone. He made some glaringly bad mistakes last year.

2. Goligoski. They are both offensively skilled but Pittsburgh would appear to be a great fit for Goligoski's style of play. He will probably have better offensive players to play alongside of and he will benefit when the time comes. Especially if he runs their power play someday.

3. Goligoski. Mainly because he is coming off of shoulder surgery. I would doubt it will be anything to worry about but it puts more of a question mark on him right now.

Walzy

As others pointed out, Niskanen has shown that he needs work in his own zone. He made some glaringly bad mistakes last year.

i don't know as much as some of you about his college days, but he wasn't that bad in Iowa's AHL playoff run.
He has an outside shot (~10%) to make the Stars' team this season and if not he should be a lock for 08-09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad