Alex Goligoski is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Major props to the Penguins scouts on this one.

The hockey world had to do a collective "WHAT THE ****" when he was picked that early...myself included.

Definitely turning into a favorite of mine, helped by the fact that he's a Gopher.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How does he compare to Ballard, Leopold and Martin as freshmen?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He plays like Martin. IMO Leopold is the most gifted all around. Ballard is the best physically, but can be a loose cannon. And Martin was the smartest. ALL are good two way players with more focus on the offensive side.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Very happy to hear that, I asked WTF when he was picked so early.

Any opinions on long-term potential (in addition to the comparisons)? Potential top pairing? And how long? 4 yrs to the NHL?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Probably 5 years from the NHL, 4 at the least. Depends on how ready he is in 4 years.

Guarantee he'll graduate from Minnesota. Patrick doesn't like signing prospects before they graduate(only reason he signed Brooks Orpik was because he dropped out before coming to Patrick about a contract). Noah Welch probably could have made the Penguins out of camp last year, but he's still playing for Harvard.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I dont think the hockey "world" was that shocked. What we see here at HF isnt the same as an inside view... seems to lag behind by about 4-5 months.

I was shocked the Coyotes picked Stephenson at 35, no way had I expected him to go that high, but its since come out the Rangers were ready to take him at 36 and others had him on their shortlists.

Nice pick by the Penguins though.. a ton of intriguing prospects in that second round of 2004.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Probably 5 years from the NHL, 4 at the least. Depends on how ready he is in 4 years.

Guarantee he'll graduate from Minnesota. Patrick doesn't like signing prospects before they graduate(only reason he signed Brooks Orpik was because he dropped out before coming to Patrick about a contract). Noah Welch probably could have made the Penguins out of camp last year, but he's still playing for Harvard.

he will surely finish at Minnesota, hopefully he is ready in 4 years!

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Pittsburghs prospect depth is very deep on D. With Whitney and Welch added in the next 2 years, and players like Fernholm prepping for NA, Alex will stay the whole 4 years. This of course is assuming that he continues to develop at a steady pace. He will hit some potholes.

By the way, for a kid ranked 174th (or something like that) among NA skaters, he looks to be a solid 2nd round pick to date. I was one of the WTF'ers when he was picked. Completely out of left field. But again, the talk then was that the Pens didn't think he would be available to them in the top of the 3rd. That to me means that a lot of other teams were eyeing him as a 2nd round pick. So the inuendo earlier about us being on the "outside" of the inner workings of teams, if you will, seems correct here.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
craig1 said:
Pittsburghs prospect depth is very deep on D. With Whitney and Welch added in the next 2 years, and players like Fernholm prepping for NA, Alex will stay the whole 4 years. This of course is assuming that he continues to develop at a steady pace. He will hit some potholes.

By the way, for a kid ranked 174th (or something like that) among NA skaters, he looks to be a solid 2nd round pick to date. I was one of the WTF'ers when he was picked. Completely out of left field. But again, the talk then was that the Pens didn't think he would be available to them in the top of the 3rd. That to me means that a lot of other teams were eyeing him as a 2nd round pick. So the inuendo earlier about us being on the "outside" of the inner workings of teams, if you will, seems correct here.

I think the first part of your comment played into picking him a bit as well. Pens have alot of prospect depth, and wanted a long-term project to not further clog up the minor league system.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I did a "What the heck?" because I had never heard of him, but I'll proudly say that I was one of the few to keep a level head instead of contrasting the draft with my THN. :p:

Really, though, I'm happy to hear he's playing well.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
What about Blake friesen..i see his stats right up there... and is the USHS system that under rated..or are we perhaps over rating it a tadd?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
#10 I watched him looking to pick his game apart but he's been nothing but impressive. Great skater, great sense, and plays pretty chippy for a smaller guy.

D.Legwand

Jun 4, 2004
Minnesota
DW said:
So I have heard. Is he stll playing with Centennial?

i am not sure, i will look at the USHL's site in a few minutes here, the high school season doesn't start for a few weeks here.
Alex is good, but i think Anderson is a little more physical. Both are great offensively. Anderson reminds me a lot of Mike Crowley back in the day, before all the injuries. All i know is it is a great time to be a Gophers hockey fan.
:handclap:

lol 29 goals, that is even good for a forward here. crazy. i am not seeing anything about him playing in the ushl. i figured he would, at least on the weekends before and after the high school season. i would imagine he will after the season is over.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Alex just had a very good shift against Wisconsin after Gophs killed a 5-3 that ultimately resulted in a slapshot goal from the point...2nd of the year. Not enough is said how this kid skates...better than alot of pros.

He's really starting to make a believer outta me.

EDIT: Potulny credited with the goal on a tip...

Last edited:

D.Legwand

Jun 4, 2004
Minnesota
Velvet E. Sax said:
Alex just had a very good shift against Wisconsin after Gophs killed a 5-3 that ultimately resulted in a slapshot goal from the point...2nd of the year. Not enough is said how this kid skates...better than alot of pros.

He's really starting to make a believer outta me.

EDIT: Potulny credited with the goal on a tip...

he is a great skater, and potulny, he is on fire this year.

X-SHARKIE

Goligoski put on a skating clinic last night. He also competes very hard and jumps in the rush at the perfect times... he's not overly aggressive but he still makes things happen offensively. He's getting good minutes it appears in all situations. But he needs to bulk up considerablly, Badgers are a small team and he got pushed around some times. But not many 20 year olds and under don't need to bulk up.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is he in fact a right shot? I've seen conflicting reports.

X-SHARKIE

Goligoski started off hot tonight when everything was going well for Minnesota but eventually he wore down. The kid needs to bulk up, he needs to learn that you just can't poke at a puck and you gotta go threw somebody and he has to compete harder for a loose puck instead of simply wacking at it.

In the end though his raw tools, like skating and offensive mind set, and great vision make him a top prospect.. But I don't see him being as good defensively as a guy like Martin. Still very impressed with this freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad