Alex Galchenyuk Thread 7.0 - "Turns Rust To Gold?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habtchum*

I"m looking forward to see how Yakupov will fit with Hall, RNH and Eberle on that Oilers' team... The guy is way too much individual and has a superiority complex because he is Russian...

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
And last year Yakupov benefited from playing with...Sarault? Brett Thompson? He's still an excellent prospect despite what he has shown so far in this tournament.

I think he's simply trying too hard to score goals in the first 2 games in order to impress the crowd. The Coke machine may not be an ideal center for him either.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Along with Trouba, he's the best USA player..it's plain simple. It's stupid for him not to have more ice time than the Grimaldi, Gaudreau, Miller, etc. Galchenyuk should have a Canadian citizenship, he'll destroy the world.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
Along with Trouba, he's the best USA player..it's plain simple. It's stupid for him not to have more ice time than the Grimaldi, Gaudreau, Miller, etc. Galchenyuk should have a Canadian citizenship, he'll destroy the world.

The funny thing is that Galchenyuk has, alone, twice as many points as Miller, Gaudreau and Grimaldi combined.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
The funny thing is that Galchenyuk has, alone, twice as many points as Miller, Gaudreau and Grimaldi combined.

He can produce with anyone though, and unfortunately that works against him. The US needs to load up their first line, and let Galchenyuk and whomever try to produce some secondary scoring. If not they would only have 1 line that produced. I'm not sure if it's the greatest coaching tactic, but it's not the first time this has happened to Galchenyuk.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
is it me? Or are we a tad bit insecure about Galchenyuk?

WJC's is cool and all, but I don't think it will define Galchenyuk as a prospect...he doesn't need to rack up 2pts per game to justify his top flight prospect status

This game was a bit more quiet for him but again, the skill level is evident...he doesn't have to get another point in this tournament, my opinion of him will not have changed

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
is it me? Or are we a tad bit insecure about Galchenyuk?

WJC's is cool and all, but I don't think it will define Galchenyuk as a prospect...he doesn't need to rack up 2pts per game to justify his top flight prospect status

This game was a bit more quiet for him but again, the skill level is evident...he doesn't have to get another point in this tournament, my opinion of him will not have changed

It's not about that. We're hockey starved and Housley is giving us 10 mins of Gally to chew on. :rant:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wow, Gally is being ripped by a couple of posters on the USA Roster discussion thread in the World Junior Championship forum. Here are a couple of posts about him..

"Galchenyuk looks pretty soft out there, hard to believe he was a 3rd pick overall. The Habs might have been sold a pup. Trouba has improved leaps and bounds. Great game for the neutral to watch, both the USA and Russia have the horses to beat Canada"

"I have been very underwhelmed bu Galchenyuk. Other than what appears to be a good stick, nothing else remotely says elite, nothing.

Trouba looks like a force so far. Best player by quite a bit for the US."

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Wow, Gally is being ripped by a couple of posters on the USA Roster discussion thread in the World Junior Championship forum. Here are a couple of posts about him..

"Galchenyuk looks pretty soft out there, hard to believe he was a 3rd pick overall. The Habs might have been sold a pup. Trouba has improved leaps and bounds. Great game for the neutral to watch, both the USA and Russia have the horses to beat Canada"

"I have been very underwhelmed bu Galchenyuk. Other than what appears to be a good stick, nothing else remotely says elite, nothing.

Don't worry. It's just hate. It's just one tournament. And they were probably very blind. Seriously, Galchenyuk soft? That's crazy. The kid is their best forward and Trouba their best dmen. If something is wrong with him, it's he lacks a worthy coach and teammate.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

HF at WJC time turns into an absolute ****show in terms of getting a fair read on a player. It's all over the map. One bad game and people are ready to dump all over a guy they were raving about just pages earlier. Case in point - people were drooling over Jones before Nichushkin fed him his lunch. Now Jones is "Erik Johnson at best" and Nichushkin could challenge for 1st overall (I didn't make either of those up - both are from posts I've read in various threads today).

If you think Gally got it bad, check out the opinions tossed around about Yakupov and Barkov. Yakupov is "more of a Zherdev/Filatov type" and Barkov could fall out of the top ten. Again, both opinions I've actually seen other people post.

The problem is people finally get to see one or two games from players they've heard so much about, and if it doesn't live up to their expectations - well then the book is closed on that player.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

WJC is a bad judge to future NHL career. McDonough had a terrible WJC which no doubt played a role in him being traded. While others like Brandon Reid, Jimmy Waite, Aaron Gavey, Jeff Glass, Perezhogin had outstanding good tournys but did not translate to NHL game

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Sorry but who cares about what the others think of Galchenyuk. Often its just hate or jealousy. Just like Price is a bust, Subban is the dirtiest player in the game etc.. etc..

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005
HF at WJC time turns into an absolute ****show in terms of getting a fair read on a player. It's all over the map. One bad game and people are ready to dump all over a guy they were raving about just pages earlier. Case in point - people were drooling over Jones before Nichushkin fed him his lunch. Now Jones is "Erik Johnson at best" and Nichushkin could challenge for 1st overall (I didn't make either of those up - both are from posts I've read in various threads today).

If you think Gally got it bad, check out the opinions tossed around about Yakupov and Barkov. Yakupov is "more of a Zherdev/Filatov type" and Barkov could fall out of the top ten. Again, both opinions I've actually seen other people post.

The problem is people finally get to see one or two games from players they've heard so much about, and if it doesn't live up to their expectations - well then the book is closed on that player.

Nice post.
Anyone saying in the same post that Galchenyuk is overated and that Trouba has been USA's best player should have their opinion invalidated.
Other than his two nice shots, Trouba has looked slow and has not demonstrated very good hockey sense.
For my money, Connor Murphy has been strong over the two games and Jones, while not being spectacular, has really opened my eyes. Goodness is he smooth.

As for Gally, he is by far the most talented American forward. I hope that Housely eventually realizes this is not Pee-Wee house league hockey and that he does not have to simply rotate his 4 lines all game long.
Goodness, you have two "offensive lines" for a reason! You don't have to play your third and fourth lines down a goal with 5 minutes to play... :shakehead

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
I actually didnt like gally's game too. While he wasnt soft, i didnt found him implicated in the play. Was floating, waiting for the puck. When he was getting the puck, he tried to pass the puck too quickly and it often led to nothing.

Im a big fan of him and i cant wait to see him against Canada on saturday!

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

That's because Gord Miller didn't help when he said on TSN that "if you didn't know who Nichuschkin is, now you know there's a new candidate for the top spot in the draft" Come on...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
That's because Gord Miller didn't help when he said on TSN that "if you didn't know who Nichuschkin is, now you know there's a new candidate for the top spot in the draft" Come on...

Ah, didn't hear that. Yes, certainly doesn't help.

Also goes to show how influenced people's opinions are by what they hear on TV :laugh:

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
On the flip side, players get really over valued for playing well above their heads in WJC, I.E. Andrei Kostitsyn

Analyzer*

Who cares ?

Trouba got a really lucky bounce. Other than that he hasn't looked all that great, either.

Galchenyuk had a game I didn't expect. I only saw the last 15 minutes of the 2nd and about half of the 3rd. All his passes where quick and sometimes forced. They were mostly off target.

The US as a whole sucked against Russia minus Gibson and Grimaldi I'd say.

GalHabsGal

Dec 14, 2012
I actually didnt like gally's game too. While he wasnt soft, i didnt found him implicated in the play. Was floating, waiting for the puck. When he was getting the puck, he tried to pass the puck too quickly and it often led to nothing.

Im a big fan of him and i cant wait to see him against Canada on saturday!

Its tought to look good with less then 10min ice time

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Based only on today's game, I see nothing special in Galchenyuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad