Alex Chiasson

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Had great numbers on a stacked BU team this year, anyone care to comment on how he has progressed? Has alot of size, where does Dallas see him in their depth chart?

We are eagerly awaiting his arrival. Hard to really project but im thinking maybe he tops out in the 30 goals and 60 point ranges while bringing a physical edge and good leadership to the Stars.

member 30781

Doubt he becomes anything special. If he maxes out at 50 points that would be stellar for him but I don't even see that. At best he might be a decent 3rd liner. I am a BU fan and he played well since he's been here, but I don't see what everyone else does.

By the way, BU was far from "STACKED" this year.

BadHammy*

Doubt he becomes anything special. If he maxes out at 50 points that would be stellar for him but I don't even see that. At best he might be a decent 3rd liner. I am a BU fan and he played well since he's been here, but I don't see what everyone else does.

Damn, that's the most skeptical observation I've seen on the guy yet. I think he's a James Neal style winger, not quite as high of a ceiling. 50-60 pts is certainly possible, in theory.

member 30781

Damn, that's the most skeptical observation I've seen on the guy yet. I think he's a James Neal style winger, not quite as high of a ceiling. 50-60 pts is certainly possible, in theory.

To each his own. I have been following BU hockey for quite a few years now, I just don't get the hype. He's great for college hockey. Doubtful the talent transitions to the NHL. Of course, as a BU fan, I wish him the best, but from what I've seen of him, I don't think he will live up to the expectations.

BadHammy*

To each his own. I have been following BU hockey for quite a few years now, I just don't get the hype. He's great for college hockey. Doubtful the talent transitions to the NHL. Of course, as a BU fan, I wish him the best, but from what I've seen of him, I don't think he will live up to the expectations.

I'm going to defer to your opinion since you've been watching him play night in and night out. That counts for a lot, while numbers often tell only half the story.

member 30781

I'm going to defer to your opinion since you've been watching him play night in and night out. That counts for a lot, while numbers often tell only half the story.

Well not technically "night in and night out" but MANY times.

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
I'm pretty excited about him. He looked good in the Stars' most recent development camp. Has progressed well so far. If he continues to develop he could be a great 2nd liner or a fringe 1st line complementary player.

To the BU fan. What about his game seems like it would not translate to the NHL to you? Hockey sense? Skating? He seems to have good offensive instincts, a good shot, a plays a physical brand of hockey while being pretty durable. Just curious.

cleverusername

May 11, 2011
NH and Boston

I agree with the disagreement of the definition "stacked" for this year's BU team.

I however disagree with your assessment of Chiasson. Was easily the best and most reliable scorer on the team, found himself in the dirty areas a lot which led to a good amount of points. Plays physical but did find himself in the box fairly often, which was my main gripe about him.

I'm looking forward to seeing him this year. I have a good feeling he could hit PPG if he plays the whole season with Coyle.

member 30781

I think his skill is getting a bit exaggerated. Sure he is a big presence that the Stars could use but skating could hold him back. He has certainly made improvements on foot speed and agility since he started at BU, but the improvements have not been drastic enough to be slotted into a top 6 role with the Stars. He has a long way to go. His offensive instincts are great and up there with the best in Hockey East, and playing with Coyle will certainly boost his stats, which might leave people questioning whether it was his game that produced the points or just being lucky enough to be on Coyle's wing. Of all the things he needs to work on, I'd say it would have to be being more patient with and without the puck. He seems to jump ahead of the play instead of letting the players setup. He makes quick decisions, which are not always the best ones, that leave him out of position, but if he can work on that his game will vastly improve. It is small things like that which might make it or break it for him at the NHL level. He certainly has at least two more years of NCAA before he can move to the AHL which is likely the route he will take.

Like I said previously, I wish him the best since BU is my team and anyone who can represent BU in the NHL is A OK in my book, but I think Dallas fans might be missing the big picture with Chiasson. Here is to hoping he proves me dead wrong.
:cheers:

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
Cool, thanks for your report. I think he might turn pro after next year.

"We’re going year-by-year. This year I made the decision to go back. I wanted to work on my strength and my speed a little more,†he said. “Going to college is the right thing to do. You play 35 games a year or 40, so you have a lot more time to work out. We’ll go a year at a time and we’ll see after next year how it goes."

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I guess "stacked" was not the right word, BU is known for producing good players and there are alot of great prospects playing there. I meant more how does he compare to Coyle etc

CRSeven

Ballon d'Or 2013
Jan 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Alex Chiasson made his NHL debut for the Stars tonight and he played outstanding.

I'm so excited to see him develop and progress. He's gonna be a good one.

MetalGodAOD*

3 goals, 1 assist in 4 games. Not looking out of place in a top 6 role. Great board play, drives to the net, etc.

He's going to be a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad