Alex Bourret

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Man, did Atlanta ever lose alot of prospects for nothing. Bourret, Coburn and three high draft picks.

Last edited:

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Bourret was one of my favorite player in the Q a few years ago.He's a character guy who can produce offensively and play a physical game a la Brenden Morrow when he's on his game although i'm not sure how it's going to translate in the NHL but i suspect that he won't have any problems with to adjust.I haven't followed him in the AHL but from what i have read he slowed down a bit last year but he still got 50pts in 68 games which ain't bad at all for a rookie.

Personally i think that it was a complete steal by the Rangers.If the price to get him was only a 4th liner like Dupuis to get him.........man i wish the Habs could have offered something for him.Bad asset management by Wadell imho.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Were the Rangers lucky to land him? I'm still shocked that ATL parted with him for Pascal Dupuis

Has anyone watched him play extensively? I'd like to hear more about his physical game that I read about...

HF Player Profile:

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alex_bourret

The word is that he's fat and lazy. The fact that ATL parted with him for an average 3rd line veteren, supports that rumor, a bit, IMO.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Metropolit is not a prospect!
I don't know too much about Bourret but I've heard he doesn't have a good work ethic.

It may have changed in the AHL but when he was in the Q Bourret was all heart and grit.I admit that he seemd to be a bit lazy at times but nothing that can't be "fixed" with some maturity and a good coach.

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
He def stepped up his game when he arrived in Hartford. Put up some good stats while playing with Immonen and Dawes. The coaching staff will also stay on top of his conditioning.

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
Man, did Atlanta ever lose alot of prospects for nothing. Bourret, Coburn, Metropolit(kind of a prospect) and three high draft picks.

Sometimes the price of getting a nosediving team into the playoffs can be quite high... If Atlanta was an established franchise with a huge fanbase they could easily be looked at as stupid moves, but there was massive pressure to make the playoffs in order to keep the franchise growing with all the fans it has pulled in recently. When I look at it that way, the moves were the right ones, even though the price was fairly steep.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
The word is that he's fat and lazy. The fact that ATL parted with him for an average 3rd line veteren, supports that rumor, a bit, IMO.

That's actually great news, because that can be CORRECTED..

He must have been working hard in the playoffs for the Wolfpack because he was playing on our top line and registered 11 points in the 7 playoff games before the Pack got eliminated...

Jim Schoenfeld is an fantastic coach that generated an impressive regular season with one of the youngest teams in the AHL... I'm very happy that Bourret has him for a coach....

hooter1194

Jun 9, 2007
Connecticut
I watched him play quite a bit in hartford the kid has a lot of heart and hits anything that moves. Quickly became a fan favorite there.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Fat can be corrected. Lazy is a bit harder to break. Again, these are just rumors I've heard. I hope everything works out for the kid.

Agreed. How'd the Rangers do correcting Brendl's laziness? Don't get me wrong, I don't know how Bourret will turn out, but I think it's a mistake to assume that his laziness can be corrected -- some people just really are that lazy.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I watched Bourret play extensively while he was in Hartford. He really had excellent chemistry with Nigel Dawes and can make plays that few other prospects in the organization can. He makes some silly mistakes, but I did not see any evidence of laziness. His conditioning is being worked on and he can really be a gritty player, taking and dishing out hits.

This was an excellent trade for the Rangers. Whether he will pan out is still up in the air, but it was a very good risk for the organization to take.

Enstrom39

Apr 1, 2006
www.birdwatchersanonymous.com
Bourret showed up out of shape. He went to the rookie tournament in Mackinac and was suddenly became "injured". A number of people in and out of the organziation though he was faking an injury to cover for his poor play. That did not go over very well. He played his way out of Atlanta's system.

So far he has simply not worked hard enough to become a NHL player, that is why he was traded. I don't hate the guy or anything, in fact I hope the trade woke him up. Chris Pronger screwed around until Mike Keenan shook some sense into him. Hopefully he will get his act together and come to the NY Ranger camp fit like a professional athlete should.

By the way, in 2005 the Thrashers traded down twice before they took Bourret. One of those two extra picks became Pavelec who is now one of their top prospects. Even if Bourret is a bust I think that the 2005 draft may be the best in team history. The rest of the players taken in 2005 have played well so far.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
He sure stepped up in Hartford. Maybe the fresh start was what he needed. I remember someone said he was the youngest player in the AHL as well. The Ranger fans sure have some fuel to fire their high hopes. Schoenfeld and his staff have been doing an excellent job in Hartford. There are high expectations that they will help Alex Bourret find his way to being an impact player in the NHL. Judging from the brief time he spent in Hartford last season they are off to an excellent start.

As far as the trade goes, it's great for the Rangers. They got a good look at Pascal. I believe he's a UFA. I'm sure they liked his speed, but he is not the piece missing from the Rangers puzzle. Not saying Bourret is, but I do think it's a step in the right direction.

shadowmage

May 19, 2007
hes played great in hartford... he didnt like the mgt at the minor leagues at thrashers side. he'll fit in well here

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
I watched him play quite a bit in hartford the kid has a lot of heart and hits anything that moves. Quickly became a fan favorite there.

Absolutely. He is a great player. He did awesome when playing for the Rangers in the playoffs and had a superb year in Hartford. :handclap:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wasn't Bourret just about the youngest player in the AHL last year? By the end of the year in Hartford he was playing quite well. The other thing I remember hearing was he didn't speak English at all when he showed up in Chicago AHL--so there was a lot of adjustment he went through last season. All in all I don't think he did too bad.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I watched Bourret play extensively while he was in Hartford. He really had excellent chemistry with Nigel Dawes and can make plays that few other prospects in the organization can. He makes some silly mistakes, but I did not see any evidence of laziness. His conditioning is being worked on and he can really be a gritty player, taking and dishing out hits.

This was an excellent trade for the Rangers. Whether he will pan out is still up in the air, but it was a very good risk for the organization to take.

Agreed completely. I saw NOTHING of what Atlanta fans were "warning" us about. Either their coaching staff is ****ing awful and can't do anything with their young players or it was just overblown and they magnified it and didn't do much to help him.

He was absolutely FANTASTIC with the Pack. NEVER took a shift off and hustled every time he was on the ice. It was great to see, especially because it was the complete opposite of what Thrashers fans billed him as.

ATLANTARANGER*

I think this was a classic case of an organization not understanding the player they drafted. He was extremely young, in a non french speaking environment and needed time to make ALL of those adjustments. I think Atlanta management layed a big egg with making a quick decision on this player. How you discard a 20 year old 1st round pick 3-4 months into his 1st pro season is amazing. The little I saw of him he impressed the hell out of me. This was an outright steal for Sather & Co. Anytime you can ship out a 3rd-4th line UFA for a 1st round pick is gold. It has been written in NY that if the NYRs did not make the trade to move up that year he was the player they were going to select.

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I was pretty stunned at how badly the Thrashers got taken in many of their trades... and I think Bourret will be more than fine down the road for the Rangers. I'd heard rumours of his lack of conditioning, but the 'lazy' label is a new one to me. In my books it's a pretty clear-cut example of getting fleeced in a deadline deal, especially given how things turned out in the playoffs against the very same team in the Rangers, and Dupuis now - with all that crappy dust settled - stunningly being a UFA. Bourret following it up tied with a team-best 11Pts in 7GP playoff performance for Hartford as an AHL rookie also doesn't support any claim that he's somehow become a bust in one year.

Honestly, it really doesn't get much worse than that. Waddell got utterly picked apart by St. Louis, Philadelphia, and the NY Rangers, and will deservedly be feeling that sting for quite some time.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Even if Bourret, was not to work out for the Rangers, it was still a great chance to take. During the Rangers playoff run, they basically replaced Dupuis, with Callahan who I think was more vital to the team. Plus Callahan gained a ton of NHL experience. He logged major minutes in the push for a playoff spot, and then with the actual playoff run the Rangers had. I think this is a great oppurtunity for Bourret, as it is a fresh start, with an orginization(since post lockout) that will push their prospects hard, but also fairly.

Lux Aurumque*

Frankly, Im glad that Alex Outofshape isn't in the Thrashers system anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad