Alex Bourret

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticker

Jun 29, 2004
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on Alex Bourret. I just picked him up in a FHL keeper league in our draft. I've heard many comparisons to Tuommo Ruuttu. Just want to know what others think. One of the biggest knocks on him from what I've heard/read, is will his scoring transfer to the NHL. I just love the way he plays the game, and even if he doesn't dominate by scoring, he can dominate physically.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
sticker said:
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on Alex Bourret. I just picked him up in a FHL keeper league in our draft. I've heard many comparisons to Tuommo Ruuttu. Just want to know what others think. One of the biggest knocks on him from what I've heard/read, is will his scoring transfer to the NHL. I just love the way he plays the game, and even if he doesn't dominate by scoring, he can dominate physically.

I think Bourret is the best all round player in the draft. If you want physical he will give you a physical presence. He will stand up for his teammates and if he has to he will drop the gloves.

P.S. When I mean best all around is that he has skills in every part of the game. I don't think Crosby would drop the gloves.

espo*

Good,i don't want Crosby dropping them unless absolutely necessary.No point in damaging those mitts in a fight when they are so useful damaging opponents.Let Bourett do that.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I think it was McKenzie that described him as a more skilled Mike Peca. He just plays with reckless abandon from start to finish. He's just intriguing.

Everything lists him as 5-10, but I think 5-8 is closer. He'll make a great all-around 2nd liner, and an effective first liner.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
BobMarleyNYR said:
I think it was McKenzie that described him as a more skilled Mike Peca. He just plays with reckless abandon from start to finish. He's just intriguing.

Everything lists him as 5-10, but I think 5-8 is closer. He'll make a great all-around 2nd liner, and an effective first liner.
From what iv seen in the Q he looks like 5-10 out there

hockeyfan42

Jun 8, 2005
Lewiston, ME USA
Blackshad said:
From what iv seen in the Q he looks like 5-10 out there

He is a 5'10" bull out there. Just ask Bobby Ryan. Personally I believe Bourret will go 1st round and could go as high as his former teamate Alexandre Picard did last year (8th overall). Physically, Bourret is NHL ready right now. He is extremely competive and can fly off the handle pretty easily.

The only thing potentially suspect about Bourret is his shot. His speed and puckhandling more then compensate for this and he could be a third or fourth line player for plenty of NHL teams this year.

Here's how USA Today describes him:
And rounding out Red Line's top 10 is hyper aggressive winger Alex Bourret. Built like a bowling ball at 5-10/208 pounds, he's like a heat-seeking missile who throws his body recklessly and is an extremely disruptive force on the forecheck. Though he has a big shot off the wing, he doesn't possess quite the natural scoring prowess of a similarly styled player such as Brulé, or the size of other power forwards like Skille and Latendresse, which is why Red Line has him rated a cut below the top tier.
I think they're right about the finesse. But how many "hyper aggressive bowling balls" have finesse?

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Though the Habs really could use a defncemen, ever since I read the scouting reports on this guy I really wanted the Habs to draft him. Anywhere outside the top 5 I'd wouldn't be disapointed if Montreal took him.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
i have a question about bourret for those who have seen him...

i've heard about his talent, but i look at his dimensions and he's listed at 215-220 lbs. for a guy who's 5-10 that opened my eyes when i read his first scouting report.

so for those who have seen him, how is his skating at such a weight? and does he look overweight at all or does he have a good build? (i realize this question may seem stupid considering how high his stock is but people may or may not have different opinions)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
In a THN article Bourret admitted to being a little on the chubby side, but talked about how his weight is already down and how he has a goal of 195 or something like that.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:

I believe he used those words to describe Gilbert Brule, not Alex Bourret.

sticker

Jun 29, 2004
Hedberg16 said:
He reminds me of a much, much better Steve Webb

:cry: :shakehead , Oh please I hope not. I'm an Isles fan and in all honesty, I don't think anyone should be compared to Steve Webb. The man has absolutely no skill whatsoever. Yes he can hit but that is hit. He can't even fight. So a much, much better Steve Webb still isn't saying much. At least compare him to a guy with some skill. There aren't many players in the NHL that have less skill than Webb. :banghead:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
MyCaptain11 said:

i've heard about his talent, but i look at his dimensions and he's listed at 215-220 lbs. for a guy who's 5-10 that opened my eyes when i read his first scouting report.

so for those who have seen him, how is his skating at such a weight? and does he look overweight at all or does he have a good build? (i realize this question may seem stupid considering how high his stock is but people may or may not have different opinions)
I've always wondered about those numbers.... I only saw him a few times early in the season, but to me, I never thought he looked 210ish. I don't doubt the 5-10 at all. But he didn't really stand out as being that stocky to me. :dunno: If you told me he was 185 under that equipment, I'd have believed it too. The other thing to me, was that he didn't look to have disproportionately strong legs or anything like that... his skating was good enough, but not especially smooth or strong. So when he would line up a guy along the boards, I typically expected he'd have trouble staying balanced, or that'd he be less effective than he was rumoured to be. But he just levelled guys. Bigger guys. It didn't matter, he could crush anybody out there and follow through on plays fine. :dunno: ... just some random observations. I have no idea how the NHL scouts are going to rate him. Typically, just based on his unorthodox-lookingness, his height, his lack of top-level pure skill... I would have thought he'd be a candidate to drop a bit, but instead he just holds steady or climbs in the rankings. I guess we'll see in a month or so... :dunno:

hockeyfan42

Jun 8, 2005
Lewiston, ME USA
MyCaptain11 said:

I think Blind Guardian has it right.
I think Bourret is pretty much muscle. Though I've only seen him in hockey garb. He certainly has the speed and endurance of a highly conditioned athlete. I wouldn't think a guy carrying an extra 25 lbs or so would move as quickly as he can or last as long as he does on the ice, both in terms of individual shifts and the entire game. The way he throws body checks and forechecks you would expect him to tire, but he doesn't seem to.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
MyCaptain11 said:

Hes been over 200lbs since he was 14.

In the Q Draft at age 15 he was 5'10 201 and he has basically had that size for the last 3 years, give or take 10 lbs.

His skating is pretty damn good. I think if he droped down to maybe 190 hed be quciker in his first 2-3 steps but other than that i dont think less weight would really help his game as he is a tank.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Blind Gardien said:
I've always wondered about those numbers.... I only saw him a few times early in the season, but to me, I never thought he looked 210ish. I don't doubt the 5-10 at all. But he didn't really stand out as being that stocky to me. :dunno: If you told me he was 185 under that equipment, I'd have believed it too. The other thing to me, was that he didn't look to have disproportionately strong legs or anything like that... his skating was good enough, but not especially smooth or strong. So when he would line up a guy along the boards, I typically expected he'd have trouble staying balanced, or that'd he be less effective than he was rumoured to be. But he just levelled guys. Bigger guys. It didn't matter, he could crush anybody out there and follow through on plays fine. :dunno: ... just some random observations. I have no idea how the NHL scouts are going to rate him. Typically, just based on his unorthodox-lookingness, his height, his lack of top-level pure skill... I would have thought he'd be a candidate to drop a bit, but instead he just holds steady or climbs in the rankings. I guess we'll see in a month or so... :dunno:

Its all in the legs.

Crosby doesnt look 193. Both Bourret and Crosby have huge powerful legs, adds weight but its not "Steve Bernier" weight (Baby fat).

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Where Jordin Tootoo was projected to go in his draft year???

Bourret VS. Tootoo...are they similar?

Bourret has way better hands and offensive instincts in terms of vision and hockey sense.

Tootoo ran around hitting guys way out of position.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Where Jordin Tootoo was projected to go in his draft year???

Bourret VS. Tootoo...are they similar?

I think Bourret is better than Tootoo, but I would say they are similar.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
Its all in the legs.

Crosby doesnt look 193. Both Bourret and Crosby have huge powerful legs, adds weight but its not "Steve Bernier" weight (Baby fat).
But that's just it... does Bourret have "huge powerful legs"??? I figured he should have. But it didn't look that way to me, on the ice. Crosby sure, he looks it. Bourret seemed to get the effects of having huge powerful legs, but without looking the part, which is what puzzled me a bit. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->