Speculation: Ales Hemsky?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sorry for the likely brief thread, but has anyone heard anything regarding him? I understand he missed all of last season with a concussion that I believe caused some mental health issues. I also remember reading how he was hoping to make a come back later into the season with the Habs.

He's been particularly prone to injury over the past several years, but in between them he's shown glimpses of his offensive ability still being there.

Just wondering if he's possibly considering a PTO somewhere or is he prepared to move onto the next chapter?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
The guy is made of glass. He's one hit away from becoming either a vegetable or suffer the same fate as Humpty Dumpty after the fall.

He should retire while he's still in one piece and a functioning brain.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Literally all I remember about Hemsky's time in Montreal is that he seemed to take a hooking penalty every time he stepped on the ice

Great player once upon a time but it's over I think

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not too suprised he's hanging out with the Stars but i hope this doesn't amount to a PTO or even worse him making the roster somehow

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's broken and too wimpy to play through any pain.
This is an absolute farce. You must be too young to remember the years when he routinely sacrificed his body for the very team you cheer for.

I'm leaning towards hoping he retires as well considering the last injury was a significant concussion. But if the love of hockey is keeping him drawn towards the game, I think the Oilers should extend a PTO just to give Ty Rattie and Kailer Yamamoto some veteran competition for the spot next to Connor McDavid. Odds are that level of play has surpassed him, but it'd be nice to see him in Oiler silks one last time before he retires, even if it's just a preseason game. He never really got to play with that true skill center when he was here the first time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is an absolute farce. You must be too young to remember the years when he routinely sacrificed his body for the very team you cheer for.

I'm leaning towards hoping he retires as well considering the last injury was a significant concussion. But if the love of hockey is keeping him drawn towards the game, I think the Oilers should extend a PTO just to give Ty Rattie and Kailer Yamamoto some veteran competition for the spot next to Connor McDavid. Odds are that level of play has surpassed him, but it'd be nice to see him in Oiler silks one last time before he retires, even if it's just a preseason game. He never really got to play with that true skill center when he was here the first time.

I never really watched the Oilers with Hemsky but when he was with the Stars he worked best when he was the main driver of a line . As a matter of fact when he was with a skilled Center it was pretty much allways a failure.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I never really watched the Oilers with Hemsky but when he was with the Stars he worked best when he was the main driver of a line . As a matter of fact when he was with a skilled Center it was pretty much allways a failure.
He had some excellent chemistry with Jason Spezza prior to the trade to Dallas IIRC. I believe that's what led to the three year contract for Hemsky that year. Unfortunately that chemistry didn't follow them to Dallas.

In Dallas I believe his best production came when he was playing with Radek Faksa. The Oilers have three quality centers where he might find an opportunity to break in on the right wing, where we lack quality NHL depth. I don't think a PTO would hurt.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If the Leafs have to trade Leivo, Kapanen or Brown to upgrade the defense, I wouldn't mind Hemsky on a 1 year deal with the Leafs. Probably an unpopular opinion however he could be a cheap, decent option to replace someone in the bottom 6 until Grundstrom is ready.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He had some excellent chemistry with Jason Spezza prior to the trade to Dallas IIRC. I believe that's what led to the three year contract for Hemsky that year. Unfortunately that chemistry didn't follow them to Dallas.

In Dallas I believe his best production came when he was playing with Radek Faksa. The Oilers have three quality centers where he might find an opportunity to break in on the right wing, where we lack quality NHL depth. I don't think a PTO would hurt.

I kind of question if Hemsky would go back to the Oilers on a PTO though. Not because the team but does he have any connections back there ? A guy coming off two injury plagued years in a row and probably not going to be ever fully healthy on the ice on the tailend of his career wiht small kids at home ( think his wife gave birth late last year ) might not want to chase a PTO on a team where that he has no connections to anymore. I'm not suprised that he's hanging around the Stars team though since he and Faksa are pretty close and if the Stars gave him a chance he would probably take it . Not that i'm well all the thrilled .

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I kind of question if Hemsky would go back to the Oilers on a PTO though. Not because the team but does he have any connections back there ? A guy coming off two injury plagued years in a row and probably not going to be ever fully healthy on the ice on the tailend of his career wiht small kids at home ( think his wife gave birth late last year ) might not want to chase a PTO on a team where that he has no connections to anymore. I'm not suprised that he's hanging around the Stars team though since he and Faksa are pretty close and if the Stars gave him a chance he would probably take it . Not that i'm well all the thrilled .
Other than Kyle Brodziak, I'm not sure there's anyone else on the roster who he'd be overly familiar with. Though he did spend 11 years in Edmonton during his first visit, so I'm sure he's still got many connections in the area outside the sport.

At this point if he's truly committed to making an NHL roster, the Oilers may be one of his better opportunities, especially considering the talent he has the potential to play with.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Id take him on a PTO, always a soft spot in my heart. It be interesting to see next to Drai or Mcdavid even if just training camp and give some competition to Rattie, Yamo and Puju

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Other than Kyle Brodziak, I'm not sure there's anyone else on the roster who he'd be overly familiar with. Though he did spend 11 years in Edmonton during his first visit, so I'm sure he's still got many connections in the area outside the sport.

At this point if he's truly committed to making an NHL roster, the Oilers may be one of his better opportunities, especially considering the talent he has the potential to play with.

Yeah thats what i kind of question after his last two injury plagued seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad