Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Mascherin seems like he won’t amount to anything significant at the NHL level. Plus, he didn’t seem to be interested in playing for the Panthers for about a year now. Not wishing him anything bad but also not losing any sleep over this.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Regarding Hepo... just watched the Broncos game against Hampton... they got completely dominated and only their goalie made the score look respectable. He is NOT ready for the NHL, not even close. Needs another year IMO

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Needs another year IMO

More likely three years.

Just sign the guy, let him marinate for several years or trade him if there's high quality roster player available. Even though the numbers look great but he's going to have tough time breaking into the NHL.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
As long as he signs a contract with us, which he will. It doesn’t matter when we sign him in my opinion. For Borg I was on the fence. Yes it would be nice to not expose him to the expansion draft but those 4 games will be very valuable for him this offseason. I don’t reslly worry about our Finns who are also better prospects than Mascherin by a long shot. They are loyal. Teams lose prospects. It happens.
yea it happens, to us seemingly more, and Id like it not to happen. I'm not sure hepo will be loyal to us just because he's a finn. unless u mean that the chance to play with barkov and borg will be tempting for him. there are plenty of teams with great finns though and I don't think he'd be on a line with barkov so I don't know that it'd sway him. if he doesn't sign I think heads seriously need to roll. but I do agree there's a better than average chance he signs. I just don't get why they waited this long.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hell no, "beefing up" would be the biggest mistake he could do.

Something like 160 lbs is enough for him, which is just 10-12 more (5 kilos)
to his current weight.

to gain 5 Kilo(160lbs) is not very hard, most likely, when you make a break from daily heavy physik and rest your body like for a Month, you can gain 5 Kilo(11lbs) in that time space.
It´s a normal reaction from every Body, i lift up 2-4 tons a Day, when i make 4 weeks rest and eat normal i gain 5-10Kilos (11-20)pretty easy.
I think Verteeg and other shorties, proved for the NHL you need around 170-175(lbs) by the height around 5"10-5"11. But the best in the league with height 5"10-5"11 are around 185-200 Pounds.
But there is a need to be NHL ready to reach 170(lbs). I dont wanna see Heppo get wrecktrained into the Board, by wilson or Buflyn, where 220lbs smash 165lbs into the Board, what the result would be should be clear.

For the Hepponiemi Corsby sample up there ^.
Crosby 5"11 has 202lbs
Hagelin 5"11 has 186lbs
Hörnqvist 5"11 189
and to bring in near team example.
Malgin 5"9 has 178lbs
Trocheck 5"10 has 182lbs
Vatrano 5"9 has 209lbs
Finn example
Aho 5"11 has 172lbs and NHL ready

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
to gain 5 Kilo(160lbs) is not very hard, most likely, when you make a break from daily heavy physik and rest your body like for a Month, you can gain 5 Kilo(11lbs) in that time space.
It´s a normal reaction from every Body, i lift up 2-4 tons a Day, when i make 4 weeks rest and eat normal i gain 5-10Kilos (11-20)pretty easy.
I think Verteeg and other shorties, proved for the NHL you need around 170-175(lbs) by the height around 5"10-5"11. But the best in the league with height 5"10-5"11 are around 185-200 Pounds.
But there is a need to be NHL ready to reach 170(lbs). I dont wanna see Heppo get wrecktrained into the Board, by wilson or Buflyn, where 220lbs smash 165lbs into the Board, what the result would be should be clear.

For the Hepponiemi Corsby sample up there ^.
Crosby 5"11 has 202lbs
Hagelin 5"11 has 186lbs
Hörnqvist 5"11 189
and to bring in near team example.
Malgin 5"9 has 178lbs
Trocheck 5"10 has 182lbs
Vatrano 5"9 has 209lbs
Finn example
Aho 5"11 has 172lbs and NHL ready

Johnny Gaudreau hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Regarding Hepo... just watched the Broncos game against Hampton... they got completely dominated and only their goalie made the score look respectable. He is NOT ready for the NHL, not even close. Needs another year IMO
Define being ready for the nhl. I only watched the highlights but he made some absolutely nasty passes. His skills are nhl ready but the body isn’t. Needs a little Work defensively though for sure

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Johnny is the only one around the League who has this Size and Weight. He rely 100% on his skating and skill Ability. He also avoid checks.
Sure there could be a Chance to get along with the weight, but then you better stay out of Injuries.

Maxim Letunov - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
he is coming from the NCAA, but not play in the NHL.
even Tolvanen is around 174lbs

edit 2:
Patrick Bajkov - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Who will most likely play in the AHL, Weight issue.

Last edited:

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Heponiemi is playing right now. Swift Current Broncos vs Regina Pats round robin (i think) of memorial cup.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Been watching his playoff games and mem cup games. Not nhl ready and not really close. Junior definitely won’t hurt him another year. He has lots to work on

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Been watching his playoff games and mem cup games. Not nhl ready and not really close. Junior definitely won’t hurt him another year. He has lots to work on

I don't see how going back to juniors and scoring 2 PPG again is going to help him.

Playing against men in Finland would be a lot bigger challenge. More physicality and also better players to play with.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I don't see how going back to juniors and scoring 2 PPG again is going to help him.

Playing against men in Finland would be a lot bigger challenge. More physicality and also better players to play with.
Cause there’s more to work on than just points. His shot is below nhl standards. His play away from puck isn’t engaging enough. Boardwork needs a lot of work. I don’t think pro in Europe is a bad idea but these r things he might be able to work on better against his peers instead of men.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Goal and Assist so far tonight 5 min left in third. I didn't see much of the game so far, can't really say if he played well or not.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Goal and Assist so far tonight 5 min left in third. I didn't see much of the game so far, can't really say if he played well or not.
His first assist was nothing. Just a bad angle shot thengoalie shoukd have had. His goal he found a soft spot and got the pass and put it in an empty net.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Previous two games were meh (possibly caused by losing Steenbergen). Today finished 1+3, five shots on goal, +1, had points in all but one of Broncos' goals.
He scores when he shoots. Someone seriously needs to keep reminding him that he can't keep passing all the time; his usual one or two shots per game are not enough.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Previous two games were meh (possibly caused by losing Steenbergen). Today finished 1+3, five shots on goal, +1, had points in all but one of Broncos' goals.
He scores when he shoots. Someone seriously needs to keep reminding him that he can't keep passing all the time; his usual one or two shots per game are not enough.
His goal today was an empty netter. The rest of his shots were pretty non threatening. He needs to work on it and get stronger to get it up to average nhl quality.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I'm guessing the same would apply to Hepo, unless there's some difference between the KHL and other Euro leagues?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He shouldn't be, and the expectations shouldn't be.

He was a 2nd round "project" pick a year ago. 2-3 years more like, which is just good, good time to add a quality ELC contract into the lineup.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
He shouldn't be, and the expectations shouldn't be.

He was a 2nd round "project" pick a year ago. 2-3 years more like, which is just good, good time to add a quality ELC contract into the lineup.
except a couple years will come off that elc if we sign him now and it takes years for him to play. but yea, no other option there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
except a couple years will come off that elc if we sign him now and it takes years for him to play. but yea, no other option there.

Unless he plays in the NHL next season, over 10 games he has 1 more year to get ready before his ELC starts running.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Unless he plays in the NHL next season, over 10 games he has 1 more year to get ready before his ELC starts running.
yea but its not gonna be the year after next that he makes the nhl. his size will keep him out at least 2 more years. probably makes it around age 21-22. its not as if his game is perfect and its just a size issue. hes not nearly as good as his early whl #s looked. he came back down to earth in a big way. I don't see him improving on this seasons #s even with another year in the W. I had high hopes on him early but he sucked in the wjc and was meh in the 2nd half of his regular season and playoffs. we have no truly high end prospects in my opinion that can be game changers. trades are needed big time this offseason if we wanna be a real roster for once ever.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't think borg is an elite prospect. I think he's a very good one but by no means a guarantee. to put tippett in the elite category is kind of crazy. I don't see a good nhl career for him. hated that pick. hepo was my only hope to bea game changer but as time goes on it looks less and less likely. I don't see help coming and we need lots of it. spending the cap looks like the only reslistic way we become competitive at this point.
It wasn’t realistic for Hepo to continue to put up numbers like that especially with his injuries. As of now Hepo would have been a first round pick with his monsterous season. And I wouldn’t say Hepo had a bad WJC. That Finnish team was horrid. It only consisted of force feeding tolvanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->