Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Was looking into playoff statistics...can someone confirm that he has 0 points in 4 GP? If true, that's a bit surprising considering the season he had.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Was looking into playoff statistics...can someone confirm that he has 0 points in 4 GP? If true, that's a bit surprising considering the season he had.
Yeah he has been pointless there so far (Kupari too). I wonder how much of it is just bad luck (Kupari has no goals on 15 shots in the playoffs - would have been an assist or two for Hepo there). They've tried to give them three different linemates over the course of the four playoff games, not sure about the reasoning - to get them going maybe? Pyorala (their linemate for most of the season) has been hurt some time before the playoffs so that might have some effect...

Then again it's not too surprising if you ask me. It took Hepo some time to adjust to Liiga; makes sense he'll need time to adjust to the playoffs too. Even in juniors, his production decreased significantly during playoffs (though it was still solid). Hopefully he can adjust and start producing soon.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

If I remember correctly, he started slow last year too in the playoffs. He had few assists, but no goal before game 6 or 7. And the year before, he hasn't scored in 14 games

I know he's a playmaker first, but isn't it a little bit concerning that he can't score goals when come the playoffs?

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Unless Friedman has info that Hepo is guaranteed to play in the AHL (very unlikely that he makes the NHL roster), the lack of an European asssignment clause doesn't mean it can't happen.
I believe the Panthers could still decide to loan him back to Finland, but he won't have the option to go on his own if he doesn't make the NHL.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I believe the Panthers could still decide to loan him back to Finland, but he won't have the option to go on his own if he doesn't make the NHL.
Exactly this, but he played his junior career in the WHL anyways, he will not be in any culture shock, or feeling of missing family and friends, like other prospects may.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

Exactly this, but he played his junior career in the WHL anyways, he will not be in any culture shock, or feeling of missing family and friends, like other prospects may.

I’d assume they want him playing in the AHL to get accustomed to playing with men on the smaller rink. I think loaning him back to Finland would be a worst case scenario...a lot of things would have to go poorly for that to occur.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Yup, I'm just saying that Friedman might be jumping to conclusions because that clause isn't there.

I'm sure DT will shed a little light at some point, possibly at the draft, as to what their plans are with Hepo.

Reactions: Beezeral

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
ive been waiting for him forever but his playoffs tempered my excitement for sure. really bad playoffs after such an awesome regular season. hes never really had playoff #s that come anywhere near matching his regular seasons anywhere hes been which is concerning, but we cant say hes not a big game player after the wjc. either way at his size itll be a while b4 he sees nhl action. he makes pettersson look like chara.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
ive been waiting for him forever but his playoffs tempered my excitement for sure. really bad playoffs after such an awesome regular season. hes never really had playoff #s that come anywhere near matching his regular seasons anywhere hes been which is concerning, but we cant say hes not a big game player after the wjc. either way at his size itll be a while b4 he sees nhl action. he makes pettersson look like chara.
Is it possible European league playoffs, like the NHL, are more physical? Small player like him would be marginalized, whereas during the regular season he may have had more room to operate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad