Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Kärpät will get money for Heponiemi when he is signed while playing in Finland. If Panthers would've signed him this summer this would mean no money for Kärpät and likely a lot smaller salary to Heponiemi. Just his agent being smart.
that really doesnt sound like what it is because other teams have signed prospects playing overseas. I dont get why hes not under contract with us and no one has a really good explanation for it just yet.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
that really doesnt sound like what it is because other teams have signed prospects playing overseas. I dont get why hes not under contract with us and no one has a really good explanation for it just yet.
Actually European prospects don't usually get signed until that prospect is close to making the jump to the NHL/AHL (I'd say during the next year). The route to the NHL in general is longer (more comparable to the NCAA than the CHL) and there isn't as much rush to sign since teams hold the player's rights for 4 years. Should Hepo play the full two years with Kärpät and then sign for 2020-21, his ELC would be the standard 3 years, instead of losing the first year while he's on loan (what happened to Repo this year).

CapFriendly also updated their prospect rights tracking, Hepo's rights changed to 2021.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Actually European prospects don't usually get signed until that prospect is close to making the jump to the NHL/AHL (I'd say during the next year). The route to the NHL in general is longer (more comparable to the NCAA than the CHL) and there isn't as much rush to sign since teams hold the player's rights for 4 years. Should Hepo play the full two years with Kärpät and then sign for 2020-21, his ELC would be the standard 3 years, instead of losing the first year while he's on loan (what happened to Repo this year).

CapFriendly also updated their prospect rights tracking, Hepo's rights changed to 2021.
oh really? well then in that case it makes sense why he's waiting to sign. I guess it was confusing cause he was a chl prospect and is now a european prospect. I'm more used to the loan type of scenario or just straight up euro prospect who signs. if this extended his rights that's really good cause he's probably gonna need 2-3 years to bulk up and fine tune his style with a bigger body. we could end up with a really good 21-22 year old rookie in him. although we probably will have to sign him and burn up an elc year b4 his 2nd season I'm assuming.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
He looked really good in preseason game against Kalpa, created a lot of prime scoring chances but his teammates couldnt capitalize.

He was fast, very good hands and he isnt afraid to deke the whole opposing team if need be. His shot looked dangerous and he shot more than I thought he would.

He looked taller than 5"10, and obliterated one dude with good check.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Watching Hepo in the CHL game against Rouen. As advertised, very nice passing skills, speed and vision; now scored the equalizing goal to 2-2 (a tip-in).

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
He really needs to shoot more (same problem he had in juniors; had 0 shots today, in total 9 shots in 5 games). That said he's having a great start in Liiga :)
yea I would expect a ppg in liiga this year. after over 2 ppg in juniors it seems normal. even expected. if he can beef up he's a scary offensive threat. I see him as a top 4-5 fwd in 2 yrs. he will replace one of hoff or daddy cause we wont be re signing them both.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
yea I would expect a ppg in liiga this year. after over 2 ppg in juniors it seems normal. even expected. if he can beef up he's a scary offensive threat. I see him as a top 4-5 fwd in 2 yrs. he will replace one of hoff or daddy cause we wont be re signing them both.
PPG in Liiga? I highly doubt Hepo will be even close, if he plays near full season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Points also a fact but not that much, its more how is physical battles and Game developing, that he can score, was showed in his junior Years.

If he can get to 165-170 lbs over the next two or three years, I think he will be fine in the NHL. Gaudreau and Debrincat are 160lbs and produce. Just gonna take Heponiemi a couple years to make the jump. His vision should help him avoid injuries as well as his awareness.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
PPG in Liiga? I highly doubt Hepo will be even close, if he plays near full season.
lets say he plays 45 games I expect 40 points. I consider that basically ppg. I didn't mean exactly a ppg. its very possible. he's our best prospect caue I don't consider borg a prospect anymore. he's on the roster.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
lets say he plays 45 games I expect 40 points. I consider that basically ppg. I didn't mean exactly a ppg. its very possible. he's our best prospect caue I don't consider borg a prospect anymore. he's on the roster.
Yeah, i agree that his ceiling is close to that, was thinking closer to 60 in 60 when first reading your post.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, i agree that his ceiling is close to that, was thinking closer to 60 in 60 when first reading your post.
his ceiling could actually shock us all. if he put up like 55 pts in 45 games Id be surprised but not floored. he's really gifted and if there was a redraft he'd go top 8

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Is he even playing in the top six right now? I'd say expecting him to produce at a PPG pace in a very good pro league is pretty optimistic, so many things have to go right and he would have to have a major role on the team. It's not impossible though.

Reactions: Ciccarelli22eh

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Is he even playing in the top six right now? I'd say expecting him to produce at a PPG pace in a very good pro league is pretty optimistic, so many things have to go right and he would have to have a major role on the team. It's not impossible though.
if he doesn't get a normal role on that team then he's not a great prospect. a 20 yr old who's gonna be a good nhl'er should be one of the top players on a euro league team or there's not crazy much to be excited about. its not like hes that young anymore. if by the end of this season he's not being used on karpats power play that's not a great sign. but I'm sure he will be.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think he's been playing on the second line recently.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Hepo with two primary assists on the PP in a 6-2 win; 1+5 in 7 games so far.
I'm tellin u man. ppg season coming his way. he's the shit. if he were bigger he'd be in the nhl already. I don't know how people don't think he's our best prospect. he's kind of our only prospect that is likely to make a major impact. (I don't consider borg a prospect anymore but I also am not high on him anyway).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad