ALCS: Kansas City Royals vs Toronto Blue Jays - Part 2

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Disappointed for the Blue Jays, they are certainly worthy of the World Series and would've been fun to see for Toronto and for Canada. Thought we had a Game 7 after Bautista's 2nd homer, and a shame he didn't get to bat again, frankly.

Well deserved by the Royals though, was pulling for them last year in the World Series, and will be again. Excellent team. Would be a shame if this group didn't get one.

I'll be cheering for the Royals in the world series. I remember the futility they went through in the 2000's and late 1990's and they've endured their share of hardship. Their fans deserve one.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The offense? Sure. The pitching? Other than Stroman there's really nothing at all to be excited about unless they can re-sign Price or get a couple of guys like Leake and Zimmermann or something.

I have a feeling that the Jays could lure some free agent pitchers this offseason. First off you would not have to pitch against the Jays if you were a pitcher. Secondly with six home playoff games that is a lot of added revenue. Sure Rogers is wealthy already but this run could just show what it could be like next year for the Jays. Plus look at the attendance after the trade deadline. It was a sellout just about every game. The team made more money so they should have more mine to spend.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm no Jays fan but that still sucked. Rough way to end it when they were so close.

Great series.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I have a feeling that the Jays could lure some free agent pitchers this offseason. First off you would not have to pitch against the Jays if you were a pitcher. Secondly with six home playoff games that is a lot of added revenue. Sure Rogers is wealthy already but this run could just show what it could be like next year for the Jays. Plus look at the attendance after the trade deadline. It was a sellout just about every game. The team made more money so they should have more mine to spend.

I'm thinking they'll resign Estrada and pick up Dickeys option so the rotation would be Stroman, Estrada, Sanchez, Hutchison, Dickey. They would have bad starting depth though if injuries hit and need to bring in a couple pen arms.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm thinking they'll resign Estrada and pick up Dickeys option so the rotation would be Stroman, Estrada, Sanchez, Hutchison, Dickey. They would have bad starting depth though if injuries hit and need to bring in a couple pen arms.

Sorry but that rotation is horrible. You can't go into a season with playoff aspirations with a rotation that looks like that.

Oct 18, 2011
I am a Jays fan so obviously it sucks to have a few iffy calls (homerun, balls/strikes) go against you in a pivotal game. But with that being said I do not wish for robot umps and I wish that their was no instant replay either.

The one thing about baseball is that it has got to be the hardest sport to umpire/ref of the major North American sports. Their are more bang/bang plays in baseball than any other sport. Calling balls and strikes would be extremely hard to do. You are talking about having to make a decision based upon a pitch that is thrown so fast that you may barely see it and it could be an inch on or off the plate or high or low. If you took all the calls all season long I would bet you that most umps have a well over 90% rate where they make the correct call. To me before replay it was ine thing that was great about baseball, human error. I love the added element that human error can factor in to a game. Yes it will have its positive moments and it's negative ones.

they get paid extremely well to do their jobs, and consistently we see that umpires do a poor job calling balls and strikes. there is an easy solution to this that needs to be embraced.

the homeplate ump affected the outcome of the game, that doesn't mean revere gets a hit but it also changes the entire AB, simply put it's not acceptable

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I bet you it's far better than 95%. Especially when you compare the calls in this game with the strike zone box.

Perhaps. I try not to get too outraged by missed strikes and balls on Fox and TBS pitch trackers because those have been known to be off at times too. Overall, I am fine with the idea of having human home plate umpires, but am also okay with automated strike zones down the road.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am going to go out on a limb and predict Dickey to come back next year but arcs discounted rate. The Jays will not pick up his option and he will become a free agent. Most teams will not be too interested based upon his age and that he really is a hot or cold pitcher. That plus most catchers are not comfortable catcher knuckle ball pitchers. I can assure you that most teams would not want to have to sign Thole and have him take up a roster spot because they are pretty much a package deal. I think that Dickey will then get an offer to come back to the Jays at a lesser price tag.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
the homeplate ump affected the outcome of the game, that doesn't mean revere gets a hit but it also changes the entire AB, simply put it's not acceptable

You guys. The Revere at bat wasn't the only one where the HP ump ****ed up.

The Navarro at bat was bad too.

iaPCmqw.jpg

Pitch 3 is basically covered by pitch 4, which was a swinging strike. Pitch 3 was a called strike.

Instead of a 2-1 count in his favor, Navarro is put in a 1-2 count and is basically protecting and trying to put the ball in play to get the run in. Now he sees the pitch coming and feels like he has to swing because it's in the exact same spot as the last pitch, which was a ball but called a strike.

That changed the whole at bat. What Navarro wanted to do, what Davis could do. You just rewarded a pitcher for making a ****** pitch and punished a hitter for having a good eye because you have no idea what the **** you're looking at.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I know it's tough to ump but with replays now and replacing the home ump with automation it should get much better going forward. The biggest issue I have with umps is certain ones have gigantic egos and actually think people pay to see them. They purposely try and show players up and look for reasons to kick them out instead of trying to defuse the situation(like they're supposed to do).

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The one thing that I have noticed before on mlb.com with the strike zone trackers is that it does not take batters height into equation. You can have some 5-9 batter or some 6-5 batter and they have the same strike zone. When the 6-5 batter should have a bigger strike zone. I am not sure how a system would work unless it just went to a standard size strike zone almost like in wiffle ball.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Amazing run. Fun to be a part of it. Following the live play by play on my phone through a family vacation was great- baseball is easy to follow on your phone and on the radio.

A part of me thinks it was a team of destiny this year. Had David Price, Estrada and Dickey played incredibly well, the historic offense....I hope I'm wrong, it felt like this was THE year.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Come on Jays fans, I know it sucks buy don't act like this is the only at bat where an ump called a wide strike

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I am a Jays fan so obviously it sucks to have a few iffy calls (homerun, balls/strikes) go against you in a pivotal game. But with that being said I do not wish for robot umps and I wish that their was no instant replay either.

The one thing about baseball is that it has got to be the hardest sport to umpire/ref of the major North American sports. Their are more bang/bang plays in baseball than any other sport. Calling balls and strikes would be extremely hard to do. You are talking about having to make a decision based upon a pitch that is thrown so fast that you may barely see it and it could be an inch on or off the plate or high or low. If you took all the calls all season long I would bet you that most umps have a well over 90% rate where they make the correct call. To me before replay it was ine thing that was great about baseball, human error. I love the added element that human error can factor in to a game. Yes it will have its positive moments and it's negative ones.

How is that of any enjoyment? That is not what the players work so hard to get to where they are, and then lose because of a human error. Why not just get it right? Is it so wrong to want things to be correct?

If not for human error tonight, we could very well see a more exciting finish unfold before our eyes, but instead human error kills Revere's AB and he strikesout. Good chance he's sitting on first with only one out still. Not saying this because I'm a Jays fan, but I wouldn't want any team to lose such an important game because it's cool and fun to have human error screw a great game, and potentially wild finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad