Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
alcs-preview.jpg

Continued from
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/alcs-begins-saturday-vs-astros-price-to-start-game-2.2554099/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
and it begins

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

Game 2 is now a must win, and David Price is starting for the Red Sox

Joe McCarthy had Denny Galehouse. Don Zimmer had Bobby Sprowl. Grady Little went too long with Pedro Martinez. And now Alex Cora — with Nathan Eovaldi and Rick Porcello fully rested — is giving David Price the ball in the biggest game of the Red Sox 111-win season.

The world champion Astros thrashed the sloppy Red Sox (Boston pitchers walked 10 Astros and hit three more), 7-2, in Game 1 of the ALCS Saturday night at Fenway Park. Since Major League Baseball went to seven games for League Championship Series, no team has lost the first two at home and gone on to win the series. It’s do-or-die for Boston in Game 2. And the Sox will have David Price on the mound.

Yikes.

Or should I say, “Yuk”?

The great Leigh Montville filled this space for a couple of sweet decades before I got here and once told me, “I never worry about finding an idea for a column. If I can’t come up with anything else I can always write about Larry Bird or Doug Flutie and everybody will read it.’’

Montville had Larry and Doug.

I have David Price. A.K.A. Hot Take Gold.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
and it begins

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

Game 2 is now a must win, and David Price is starting for the Red Sox

Joe McCarthy had Denny Galehouse. Don Zimmer had Bobby Sprowl. Grady Little went too long with Pedro Martinez. And now Alex Cora — with Nathan Eovaldi and Rick Porcello fully rested — is giving David Price the ball in the biggest game of the Red Sox 111-win season.

The world champion Astros thrashed the sloppy Red Sox (Boston pitchers walked 10 Astros and hit three more), 7-2, in Game 1 of the ALCS Saturday night at Fenway Park. Since Major League Baseball went to seven games for League Championship Series, no team has lost the first two at home and gone on to win the series. It’s do-or-die for Boston in Game 2. And the Sox will have David Price on the mound.

Yikes.

Or should I say, “Yuk”?

The great Leigh Montville filled this space for a couple of sweet decades before I got here and once told me, “I never worry about finding an idea for a column. If I can’t come up with anything else I can always write about Larry Bird or Doug Flutie and everybody will read it.’’

Montville had Larry and Doug.

I have David Price. A.K.A. Hot Take Gold.

Shank Sucks

Reactions: DKH

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I really think losing game one hurts their chances and the called strike three on Benny was what hurt their chances. If he walks Benny it puts Boston up 3-2 with a chance of adding more that inning and would probably of taken Verlander out of the game. It's those little calls that become the Big plays that turn the series around.

If Benny walks like he should have, it's actually still 2-2, but the bases are loaded for Martinez with Verlander struggling to throw strikes.

Instead the ump bails him out and then f***s with Kelly the next inning. Game over.

Do umpires face any repercussions from MLB when they do shit like that?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Game changer on Benintendi

Love to see what the final score is if that is correctly called

Doesn’t mean they win but it wouldn’t surprise me

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Poor defense,poor pitching,poor hitting,poor managing all trumps poor umpiring. TBS' homeplate box sucks.

Reactions: lopey

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
My fingers are already getting numb this cold morning. Wonder how Price is going to feel later on.:sarcasm:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
:whispers:

I don't think tonight is a must-win.

It would help.

There’s no reason for it (big game, cold weather, etc.), but I think Price will pitch well tonight.

I don’t know why, but he seems to get especially rattled by the Yankees? Baseball is a mental game and he has pitched well against Houston recently. I hope that means he’s in a good place tonight (mentally).

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If Benny walks like he should have, it's actually still 2-2, but the bases are loaded for Martinez with Verlander struggling to throw strikes.

Instead the ump bails him out and then ****s with Kelly the next inning. Game over.

Do umpires face any repercussions from MLB when they do **** like that?

A terrible AB from Betts and that god awful call against Benintendi completely changed the game there.

I genuinely have no idea what Betts was thinking swinging at the first pitch there.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Also, I swear to god if f***ing Nunez is in again tonight...

Like I said in the other thread, every single reason Cora has given as to why Nunez continues to start has been proven wrong and blown up in his face. It's baffling to me that he's still in. The 2 RBI single was a rocket, but he should have at a minimum knocked that ball by Springer down allowing a run to score, bt not two. But that pathetic play at 3rd dropping the ball on the transfer is indefensible. On top of that, he's not even hitting, so it's not like they're losing offense.

Put Devers in to play poor 3B defense, but hopefully run into one. 5-9 in their lineup has been incredibly underwhelming, adding Devers into that at least gives them another option.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah no way Verlander gets JD out with the bases loaded there down 3-2 after starting the inning up 2-0.

Feel worse about the bullpen than Price. The guys who have been good (Brazier) are due to give up a run and the guy who haven't suck. Eovaldi with Price out of the pen for a couple innings after the starter instead of Kelly would be best.

After the ump its Kelly who really lost the game thats the one inning you couldn't afford to give up a run right after we tied it and should have had the lead. The second they scored that third run I expected us to end the game on 2 runs. The bullpen is going to blow a game this series and cost us one we were ahead in and should have won and that wasn't it.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Yeah no way Verlander gets JD out with the bases loaded there down 3-2 after starting the inning up 2-0.

Feel worse about the bullpen than Price. The guys who have been good (Brazier) are due to give up a run and the guy who haven't suck. Eovaldi with Price out of the pen for a couple innings after the starter instead of Kelly would be best.

After the ump its Kelly who really lost the game thats the one inning you couldn't afford to give up a run right after we tied it and should have had the lead. The second they scored that third run I expected us to end the game on 2 runs. The bullpen is going to blow a game this series and cost us one we were ahead in and should have won and that wasn't it.
I have a hard time agreeing with this. How can you blame Kelly for that at all?

He hits Bregman, then gets a gift of a DP ball to Nunez who completely boots it. Then comes back and gets a pop out and a K. Got squeezed by the ump on two, if not all three balls he threw to Correa before giving up the single.

I mean in hindsight after falling down 3-1 to Correa with their catcher up afterwards, he probably should have stayed away and walked him if neccessary, but Kelly did his job. That inning is over if Nunez does his.

At this point I have more faith in Kelly coming in and getting the job done than anyone not named Kimbrel, Barnes, or Braiser. And the latter two are iffy.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I guess thats fair. That run in the top of the 6th won it though and meant we had to play 7 2/3 innings from behind. We at least needed to get up to the plate with the game still tied after Benny got screwed and we were robbed by the ump of a chance to put the game away.

I've expected the starters to boost the pen its shaky. Kelly was fine coming in when we were down I'd keep him there don't want to see him with a lead.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Benny getting rung up on that pitch, yeah ok fine, but next inning Kelly is painting the corners and can't get a call. That a huge swing there.
That's the bigger issue, the consistency.

If you're going to have a wide strikezone, it needs to apply to every pitcher, and for the entire game. That's all you want as a player, and as a fan.

Reactions: Alicat and Jdavidev

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It really feels like there's no pressure at all tonight on Price, because everyone and their mother expects him to suck. We've all pretty much pencilled in another 3.2 IP 5 ER 2 HR performance, so if he gives us anything more than that - even if he leaves the game keeping us within striking distance to come back off their pen - that's a pleasant surprise.

Conditions could be right for him to finally have his moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->