Music: Album or CD from your favourite band that you'd give to someone to make them a fan of the band?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Long winded question I know

but if you found someone who either did not like your favourite band or had never listened to them

what CD or album would you recommend to them to make them a fan?

for me

Queen

Jazz

While most might suggest News of the World or Night of the Opera

Jazz is the Album/CD I would give as it gives a good idea of how wide of a range the band had. From the Opening Mustapha then onto Fat Bottom girl, Bicycle race, Jealousy, and on though Leaving Home and Don't stop me now

what Albums/CDs would you recommend to someone who was not a fan of the band or artist

Reactions: frisco

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Long winded question I know

but if you found someone who either did not like your favourite band or had never listened to them

what CD or album would you recommend to them to make them a fan?

for me

Queen

Jazz

While most might suggest News of the World or Night of the Opera

Jazz is the Album/CD I would give as it gives a good idea of how wide of a range the band had. From the Opening Mustapha then onto Fat Bottom girl, Bicycle race, Jealousy, and on though Leaving Home and Don't stop me now

what Albums/CDs would you recommend to someone who was not a fan of the band or artist

For I Queen would go with Sheer heart attack.

For Pogues I would go with If I should fall from grace with god.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
so good front to back. I would use the deluxe edition but since it has the same cover as regular version although the car cover which is the common cover is an alternate to the original cover:

220px-GinBlossomsNewMiserableExperienceOriginal.jpg

220px-Gin_Blossoms_-_New_Miserable_Experience_%28alternative_cover%29.jpg

also:
Gin Blossoms’ ‘New Miserable Experience’ at 25 – Rolling Stone

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Ozzy - No More Tears or Live & Loud

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

There are several 2nd choices for both that I could agree with all day, too.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hopes & Fears by Keane, only because I have an extra copy I got for $4 from BeatGoesOn. And it's a pretty hard album to hate, the person at worse would think that it's an inoffensive sound.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There are those who sour on Bob Dylan through those awful "best of" releases, so I'd urge them to listen to this.

FNV4L9Q.png

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The Velvet Underground and Nico by the Velvet Underground

I know some people who don't care for the banana/warhol album. I make sure they don't skip this gorgeous later work by the Velvets. It's so good.

76109251b9c53d8720c84152d24edc9ee795b2eb8d21062ca27324234828cdad5552887f.jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I know some people who don't care for the banana/warhol album. I make sure they don't skip this gorgeous later work by the Velvets. It's so good.

76109251b9c53d8720c84152d24edc9ee795b2eb8d21062ca27324234828cdad5552887f.jpg

I actually thought of using that album in respect of the spirit of the thread - it's more accessible than VU and Nico - but I think their first album hits that sweet spot of how good they were in a variety of styles. While I wouldn't call VU and Nico accessible, I think there's a lot to gnaw on for the average rock and roll fan as well as for someone who's willing to put the time in listening to a record that doesn't reproduce the same average/mainstream formula. It just seemed like the more fitting album to present what the actual band represents while presenting one of the greatest musical partnership in Lou Reed and John Cale. The VU definitely lost a big chunk of their originality/avant-garde sensibilities with the departure of John Cale even if Lou Reed and Sterling Morrison had it in spades. Just not to the same extent. It often feels like the 1969 album (The Velvet Underground) showcased Reed's talent for the more pop sensibilities - which were great and pretty much better than everyone else in popular music - while White Light/White Heat showcased John Cale's avant-garde genius. The VU and Nico hits the perfect middle ground for me. It's a fabulous mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ozzy - No More Tears or Live & Loud

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

There are several 2nd choices for both that I could agree with all day, too.

I'd argue Blizzard for Ozzy. Crazy Train is his catchiest song and Randy Rhoads can draw almost anyone in

Reactions: Ozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->